Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Any idea when the next MBA's will be released? What are the latest rumors?

I'm looking to replace my 18 month old MBA.
Current stats:
13 inch
1.8ghz i7
4GB ram
256gb SSD

Based on currently available MBA on Apple.com, I would buy
13 inch
2ghz i7
8gb ram
256gb SSD

davenz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Probably July ish. If you need one now buy it. If you don't, wait.

Pretty simple....

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Why would you want to upgrade already? I would wait for haswell as it will benefit Laptops massively when it comes to battery performance, it will also have the much faster onboard graphics (HD 5000?)

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Yours is more than adequate for most needs - unless you have a burning need to upgrade, you should wait.

ahmet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Why would you want to upgrade already? I would wait for haswell as it will benefit Laptops massively when it comes to battery performance, it will also have the much faster onboard graphics (HD 5000?)

Haswell's onboard graphics' name is HD 4600 and will be twice better and consume less energy. I have a mid 2012 MBA and sure will buy this :)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Wait for Haswell. Your current machine should hold you until they are released.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
For me it would come down to justifying the cost to myself. It looks like you'd be buying a computer with a .2ghz faster processor and 4gb more of ram. If it were me and I had a buyer lined up for my old MBA and could get into a new one for like 200 more out of pocket, I'd probably do it. However, if you were going to sell your old one for like 700 bucks and then spend another 500-600 more on a new computer, I probably wouldn't do it since you aren't going to see much in terms of gain performance wise. I always like new toys and gadgets, but I have to be able to justify it to myself :)

ijrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thx everyone

Thanks for the feedback.

I try to replace my Mac every 18 months. I tend to get a great re-sale value since I have AppleCare to include.

Based on the Haswell feedback I'll likely hold off another 6 months! Of course, my re-sale value will go down when there is a new announcement...but oh well.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I just bought a 13" i5 8gb to hold me until summer when the next model comes out. I'll sell it off around June and pickup the latest & greatest.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Buy now, they're very well sorted out.

Reliable, fast and efficient there's no reason to wait for a new model. Even though it's Apple, there's always that possibility of bugs or other annoyances.

The grass is not always greener... :eek:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This time next year we will be asking the same question, and people will say, Wait for HD5000, retina (it did not surface summer 2013 :( )

Every 18 months? sounds tiring just thinking about it. To each his own.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for the feedback.

I try to replace my Mac every 18 months. I tend to get a great re-sale value since I have AppleCare to include.

Based on the Haswell feedback I'll likely hold off another 6 months! Of course, my re-sale value will go down when there is a new announcement...but oh well.

The old cliché about 'buy if you need, wait if you merely want' is the advice I would offer. For now, the specs on your machine sound pretty impressive to me, given that any upgrade you are likely to make before rumoured (note, rumoured) upgrades occur, will be, at best, fairly incremental.

As you have Applecare, you can afford to wait a few months and then see what the summer brings.

My own position is slightly different as my MBA is 28 months old, a year older than yours, so any change I make over the next few months will be quite noticeable.

Of course, resale value goes down every time there is an upgrade, - despite Applecare - or a significant change in the product line. That is life, and that is also the price you pay for acquiring a significant upgrade in computing power or radical innovation in technology.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Wait it out, then if you want buy "the older" model (which would be the current model now) for less and save money that way.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
If you were watching Intel's CES keynote which is streaming right now, you'd realize that it'd be wise to wait for Haswell for battery life alone. Unless you "need" to have it right now. And I roughly quote, "biggest battery leap in Intel corporation's history."

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
At a guess, would Haswell chips be capable of playing arma games at its lowest settings?

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I usually say go for it, since the 2012 Air is awesome....but seeing that your Air is only 18months old, you might as well wait a little while until you see slowings. 18 months is pretty new, especially since you aren't getting any more storage.....it won't really be worth the money to upgrade. Might as well wait awhile

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Any idea when the next MBA's will be released? What are the latest rumors?

I'm looking to replace my 18 month old MBA.
Current stats:
13 inch
1.8ghz i7
4GB ram
256gb SSD

Based on currently available MBA on Apple.com, I would buy
13 inch
2ghz i7
8gb ram
256gb SSD

Generally they will be released in june but from what im reading the low voltage haswell chips wont be ready then (am I reading it wrong) anyway I couldnt wait and i just got a new one last week. Its pretty impressive and i dont regret it. Tech moves so fast you could always wait for the next thing and you will always be waiting.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I was contemplating buying a MacBook Air too. But I'm waiting for Haswell. I really hope that it ups the battery life. I would like to have a portable with true 7-10 hour battery life.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Why are you all saying June? Didn't intel say late 2013 for the new chips? So that sounds like q4, q3 at the earliest. It might still be worth the wait, but I wouldn't bet on June.

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Although I would wait until Haswell, I would actually skip retina if it came to the air. I do not believe the air has sufficient battery to power a retina display for a prolonged period of time; thus, leading to diminished battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.