Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
vkd
macrumors member

Lightbulb eMac G4 1Ghz 10.4.11 > 9.2.2

Hi,
I recently acquired an eMac g4 that has Tiger 10.4.11 installed which in turn has the classic environment within it 9.2.2. I got it because I want to play the Tomb Raider Trilogy series on it, that's the original TR1, 2 and 3 games. They all need the classic mode to run. Unfortunately however, the TR1 game is slightly buggy, the Lara figure has no midriff; between her top piece and shorts she is invisible or see-through! Also the passport feature has no words on it, to save, load, exit etc., although the pages do flip. The controls feature also don't work, ie. the keyboard and graphics customisation.

I can't see any way of fixing these things, that ONLY occur in the TR1 game, whilst the TR2 & 3 run faultlessly. I was thinking of making a dual boot mode on the machine with Mac OS 9 and 10 in separate partitions. Does anyone know if I could do that? Will this machine boot OS 9? Most importantly, would it fix the problem?

Any other helpful ideas?
vkd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
Yes you can dual boot.
About if you machine can boot os9:
Quote:
*Only the original "Combo" drive configuration (M8950LL/A) is capable of booting into Mac OS 9.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl.../emac_1.0.html
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

My understanding was that you can *not* dual boot the consumer version, but that the education version (available in special configurations) was able to, for at least the initial run.

I would say try it, but clone your drive before you try it, so you can restore things back to they way things were, if it doesn't work out.

Looks like the full quote from the everymac site is:

Quote:
Please note that the "Combo" drive configuration (M8950LL/A) is capable of booting in both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. The second "Combo" configuration (M9252LL/A) and "SuperDrive" configurations (M8951LL/A and M8951LL/A), however, *cannot* boot in MacOS 9. These are capable of running MacOS 9 applications within the MacOS X "Classic" environment provided by MacOS X 10.4.11 and earlier.
So...if you can't find the part number on the thing, see if you can burn a DVD. If you can, then you can't boot in OS 9. I would get the part number off the thing first...that would save you a lot of time and heartache, if you go through all the work to just find out it never would have worked in the first place.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

All eMacs that are 700Mhz and 800Mhz can boot OS 9.2.2. Some 1Ghz eMacs can boot OS 9.2.2, even with a SuperDrive. If your eMac has USB 1.1 ports, it can boot OS 9.2.2. Some of the later USB 1.1 models may have to be tinkered with before it'll install, by they'll run it.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
vkd
macrumors member

Ok so looks like it will boot OS 9. Next thing is, can I make a USB stick and install OS 9 from there? I haven't burned a CD for years! I got a .dmg of 9.2.2 but I'm not sure how to get it onto a USB
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkd View Post
Ok so looks like it will boot OS 9. Next thing is, can I make a USB stick and install OS 9 from there? I haven't burned a CD for years! I got a .dmg of 9.2.2 but I'm not sure how to get it onto a USB
it will be terribly slow booting on usb 1.1 may I strongly recommend a firewire drive
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:50 AM   #7
vkd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
it will be terribly slow booting on usb 1.1 may I strongly recommend a firewire drive
Hm. I'd love to but it's out of the question unfortunately. :/

I tried to restore the OS 9 .dmg to a USB stick in Disk Utility but I couldn't get it to work. Does anyone have any experience of how to do this?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

OS 9 can't boot from a USB device.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:16 PM   #9
vkd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
OS 9 can't boot from a USB device.
Looks like 'Game Over'
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkd View Post
Looks like 'Game Over'
Unless you get a firewire drive. You probably can get a CD/DVD drive inexpensively on eBay. I know my local Goodwill had one for $20.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
jgreesonfay
macrumors newbie

Emac boot to Classic hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
All eMacs that are 700Mhz and 800Mhz can boot OS 9.2.2. Some 1Ghz eMacs can boot OS 9.2.2, even with a SuperDrive. If your eMac has USB 1.1 ports, it can boot OS 9.2.2. Some of the later USB 1.1 models may have to be tinkered with before it'll install, by they'll run it.
Hi; I need to be able to boot an Emac I recently bought into Mac OS9, but I just read that the one I have which has a Superdrive isn't bootable into OS9. Your comment says it can be tinkered with to work. I don't know how to determine if my Emac has USB 1.1 or not. I don't have any documentation on it except for the System Profiler. It says the PCI Device IS is 0x0019and the revision ID is 0x0001 The Host Controller Driver is AppleUSBOHCI.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Greeson
jgreesonfay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreesonfay View Post
Hi; I need to be able to boot an Emac I recently bought into Mac OS9, but I just read that the one I have which has a Superdrive isn't bootable into OS9. Your comment says it can be tinkered with to work. I don't know how to determine if my Emac has USB 1.1 or not. I don't have any documentation on it except for the System Profiler. It says the PCI Device IS is 0x0019and the revision ID is 0x0001 The Host Controller Driver is AppleUSBOHCI.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Greeson
Connect a USB drive to that iMac and copy something large to it. If the copied data increments up by 1.5 megabytes, you have USB 1.1. If it goes up by increments larger than 1.5 megabytes, you have USB 2.0 and cannot run Mac OS 9.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #13
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Decode eMac's serial number with one of popular decoding sites (klantenservice or else) and you'll know exact model, production year etc. Then visit everymac.com and see what their database says about your particular model.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs