Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
He music in this poorly made ad sounds like they are selling a feminine hygiene product.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
what a ridiculous product

first, the wristband is totally cheap

and, it provides useless functions

you'll have to pick up your phone to answer a call anyway... :rolleyes:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Wow to the people saying its rubbish.

If this thing can alert my wife or mother that the phone in her handbag is ringing then its worth its weight in gold. :D

----------

what a ridiculous product

first, the wristband is totally cheap

and, it provides useless functions

you'll have to pick up your phone to answer a call anyway... :rolleyes:

its an alert system not something from James Bond. :rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
[Watches promo video...] reads

Does someone make a small camera remote? That is one feature that is cool and useful about this watch. I will pay $9.99 for such a single purpose thing.

Yep theres nothing better than a remote so you can leave your expensive camera phone unattended propped up against something in a bar...

Except if the bar is of course full of dodgy drunks and strangers and the liklihood of it being there after you've finished your ego photoshoot with hookup A & B is slim to none.. ;)

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
looks like I need a new phone soon.... why is the iphone 4 not supported?! not that I need to have this, but I just don't see the reason...

Emanuel1

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Incredible

Completely blown away not only by the feature this stupid watch has to offer, but also by the looks, no way it looks cheap or out of standard. May not be the better half for the smart devices but can at least be a good half or lets say the missing chunk:apple: of your apple device :);)

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Yay...! I had backed thjis project on kickstarter... Really glad to see it come through... I had booked a keychain... I think its quite handy... The alarm should be louder though...

----------

looks like I need a new phone soon.... why is the iphone 4 not supported?! not that I need to have this, but I just don't see the reason...

I think its got to do with the bluetooth 4...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
These smart watches won't stand a chance if they aren't sold in retail stores. No one wants to spend 200+ for a watch that they can't see and touch. Those are two very important factors in buying something. Plus having to pay shipping both ways and insuring the device can add up to the cost.

If I see these things sold at Target, Macy's, Best Buy, then I'd consider getting one. As of now this watch lacks a proper display.

I want something that shows who's calling, so while out on a run, I can ignore the less important calls. As for battery life, if I can get away with charging it once a week, that's fine. Anything less would be a bit too much. I rather pay $50-$100 more for longer battery life (eg. 30 days or more).

The straps should be interchangable as well. I want something that I can pull off in business attire, and switch it up for a more athletic look.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Like it's been said, cool project, with limited scope coz the notifications are already felt on your iPhone and this is just an 'extra' thing... the key for anything wearable to 'click' in the market is that it needs to let users 'do' something rather than just notifying. That will be powerful.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I read a review on the Cookoo website by someone who bought one of these and he said there were mail and SMS icons on the dial which are not even supported. Seems pretty silly not to enable them since these are highly used functions of any phone.

That said, this really just duplicates functions of the phone and since you have to be close enough to put your hand on your phone, why not just look at it instead of looking at a watch and THEN having to look at the phone?

This is nothing more than a gadget and nowhere did I learn if it can set the watch time from the phone. It looks like it has to be set manually.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
i think the watch industry is dead!
i have my iPhone always with me, so no big deal caring an extra device.

You're not exactly carrying a watch, now are you? Unless it's a pocket watch then you're probably just being pretentious! :p

I love watches and I rarely skip wearing one. I don't know where you get your facts, but the watch industry is alive and well today. The market for this type of watch, in my opinion, is quite limited. It's a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I stopped wearing a watch something on the order of a decade and a half ago when cell phones became small enough to be reasonably carried around in my pocked. I started again when the old watch-format Nano came out because it was neat and functional. I'm looking forward to the Nano being relegated to a workout music source once my Pebble arrives, because it will be 10x more useful than the Nano is AND I won't have to hit a button on it to see what time it is.

This however just doesn't look like it would make the cut. Sure, were I still doing the Podcast I'd be requesting a demo unit to review and report on, but I seriously doubt I'd be keeping on using it after reviewing it- the functionality just looks like it's nowhere even close to that of the Pebble, and while I do actually like the analog movement on it, the limitations it imposes on the screen size and shape are pretty severe.

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Great watch for my wife

I notice that most of you that always have your iPhone with you are men. We have pockets. My wife never has her phone on her, can't find it and forgets it. This watch sounds ideal and it probably keeps better time than her Rolex which she is always complaining about. But I didn't buy it. Size is one problem but when I went to order the $35 shipping charge turned me off and I did not get it. I can risk non-delivery for a 129 order, but the 35 sounds like added profit and I don't want to risk that it has to be signed for because I live out in the country and the delivery people can't get to my house.

skiaddict

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Limited usefulness

So this watch just puts an icon on the face when you have an alert, ie text, call, etc... I don't really see the utility in that - ie you hear or feel your phone vibrate when you get one of these but with the watch you don't really get any useful information from this. At least with the pebble or metawatch, you see who is calling or you see the actual text from the SMS message so you don't actually need to pull the phone out to get this info.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Who doesn't have their phone within a few feet of them? I mean, most phones today are communications hubs. The phone portion is taking a back seat to internet, email, texting, twitter and all that. Only time I make a phone call is when I can't convey something via text or I'm driving.

Watches are more of an accessory now. Most are over priced, made in China wrist bands. This watch just moves features to your wrist and not much else. Whereas most people have the phone right there next to them or in their hands. Doesn't seem very useful.

Though I do get it. For those that still use watches, this is a cool device that has ADDITIONAL features that work with your phone/device. :D

While you may keep your phone on you 24/7, many of us may find ourselves across the room, across the office, on the opposite side of the house, or some other distance from our phones either intentionally or accidentally. And yes, a watch is an accessory as well as a great (more convenient than a phone) timepiece. As you've already mentioned, it will be great for the 2 to start working together since my watch is on my person even more than my iPhone is.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
not yet there

this watch offers nothing that you cannot already do directly on your phone. yes you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket but you'll have to pull it out anyway to perform any of the functions they demonstrate.

they need to offer functionality beyond just being a middle man between you and your phone.

----------

I notice that most of you that always have your iPhone with you are men. We have pockets. My wife never has her phone on her, can't find it and forgets it. This watch sounds ideal and it probably keeps better time than her Rolex which she is always complaining about. But I didn't buy it. Size is one problem but when I went to order the $35 shipping charge turned me off and I did not get it. I can risk non-delivery for a 129 order, but the 35 sounds like added profit and I don't want to risk that it has to be signed for because I live out in the country and the delivery people can't get to my house.

except that women don't wear watches and the one that do would never wear this. it doesn't fit their fashion sense the same way pockets do not fit either.

----------

You're not exactly carrying a watch, now are you? Unless it's a pocket watch then you're probably just being pretentious! :p

I love watches and I rarely skip wearing one. I don't know where you get your facts, but the watch industry is alive and well today. The market for this type of watch, in my opinion, is quite limited. It's a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

watch wearing public is a very narrow demographic. mostly older males which has very little overlap for smartphones and a device like this. they need to add more functionality, more style and lower the price before any female in their 20's will touch it. judging by their commercial, that's their target demo.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
LOL....are you a teenager? Adults still wear watches.

Heh. Depends on the adult I guess. I stopped wearing a watch in 2008. I still remember the circumstances too. I was on a road trip and camping in a tent that weekend. The strap broke* -- the second time I had bought this exact model of watch and had it break the exact same way. I gave up on this model in disgust, I wasn't going to buy a third one. The rest of that week I relied on my cell phone to tell the time. It was always in my pocket anyway. I guess I just got used to it, because I don't wear a watch anymore...

*Actually it was the plastic housing that holds the strap pin in place that cracked. Not repairable on these inexpensive watches.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.