Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Josh Kahane
macrumors 6502

Airport Express Extending Network

Hi

For my home network I have the following:

Netgear DG834N Router ---> ethernet ---> Airport Express 1 ---> Wireless ---> Airport Express 2

Thats how I am extending my network currently but I am having an issue. They all have the same SSID and same password.

It seems when in an area of the house where there is overlap of signal, for example between the netgear router and first airport express, my iPad and iPhone won't connect. It will constantly says 'Failed to connect'.

How might I be able to resolve this? Are there some specific settings I should be using when extending my network or more technical things I may have missed?

Thanks.
Josh Kahane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
matspekkie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Kahane View Post
Hi

For my home network I have the following:

Netgear DG834N Router ---> ethernet ---> Airport Express 1 ---> Wireless ---> Airport Express 2

Thats how I am extending my network currently but I am having an issue. They all have the same SSID and same password.

It seems when in an area of the house where there is overlap of signal, for example between the netgear router and first airport express, my iPad and iPhone won't connect. It will constantly says 'Failed to connect'.

How might I be able to resolve this? Are there some specific settings I should be using when extending my network or more technical things I may have missed?

Thanks.
What you refer to is called roaming this will work nicely between the airports. With the function extend my network however this will not work with you netgear router. If possible turn off wifi on the router. If you really need wifi on the router make this a different SSID (wifinetwork) than yourairport network. This way your device will have to choose between router wifi or airports.
Hope it helps for you.
matspekkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking