Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #26
ravenvii
macrumors 604
 
ravenvii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Melenkurion Skyweir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Mike Elgan says Apple should stop making iOS apps. I disagree. They need to make better iOS apps not turn it over to 3rd parties.

http://www.cultofmac.com/208529/why-...king-ios-apps/
While the main point of the article merits consideration and discussion, the article itself is just Elgan going full retard.

Yearly contests? LAWL.
__________________
59 6F 75 20 73 70 6F 6F 6E 79 20 62 61 72 64 21
ravenvii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Hardly proof! Just an opinion.
Some people dont know the differnce.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:00 AM   #28
The Phazer
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Mike Elgan says Apple should stop making iOS apps. I disagree. They need to make better iOS apps not turn it over to 3rd parties.

http://www.cultofmac.com/208529/why-...king-ios-apps/
That's a pretty good article.

If Apple could make better apps they'd do it. They can't.

The problem is, of course, that Apple would have to let apps do more things because they give their own apps artificial sandbox advantages to anti-competitively protect their inferior products.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 AM   #29
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Mike Elgan says Apple should stop making iOS apps. I disagree. They need to make better iOS apps not turn it over to 3rd parties.

http://www.cultofmac.com/208529/why-...king-ios-apps/
I agree with you. The thing I like about Macs is that it comes with all basic features out of the box (ex. iPhoto, Garageband, Apple Mail, Safari etc..). It's what I hated about Windows; you had to go download a basic email program, you had to go download PDF readers, etc.

Apple brought most of that idea to iOS (it includes a lot of features). However, they can definitely add more and tweak their current ones as well.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:45 PM   #30
jonnyb098
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
I feel its important to take notice of the real essence of this thread and the articles. Design can DIRECTLY impact experience. Are Apple's apps functional, sure, but the user interfaces are very different and a lot of elements are just simply not needed. Apps like weather and stocks are basic and functional with their user interfaces. Then there are apps like Podcasts or the iPad music app (since iOS5) that leave out basic functionality(ipad music app) or simply dont operate properly (podcasts). Also there are inconstancies all over the place within Apples own apps.

The whole skeumorphic design choice is another argument. But simple functionality needs to be there. This could all be solved by Apple letting us use our own default apps and allow them to tie into the system for using things like Siri, etc.. That alone would completely change functionality of all of our own devices to our own need. All it has to be is check box in iTunes or something to "allow this device to use custom default apps"
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #31
Rogifan
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
That's a pretty good article.

If Apple could make better apps they'd do it. They can't.

The problem is, of course, that Apple would have to let apps do more things because they give their own apps artificial sandbox advantages to anti-competitively protect their inferior products.
BS. They can do it. Especially now that the two biggest obstacles are gone: Steve Jobs and Scott Forstall. I wouldn't be surprised if Jony Ive has wanted to get his hands on UI design for a while but never got the chance because of Steve (and Scott).
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful." Jony Ive 
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:00 PM   #32
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
I think a big reason why developers are moving away from the iOS HIG(Human Interface Guide) is because apple is allowing it. Before if you didnt use 99% standard iOS controls your app was sure to be rejected. Now it seems Apple is a little more lax on what you can do.

I just submitted a new App that really does not use any standard controls but still behaves somewhat within the HIG.

I really like the simple look of letterpress/windows phone apps so I went that way.


Very much a niche app with no content relevance here but a letterpress/windows phone combo design. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/occu...6123?ls=1&mt=8
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG


Last edited by TouchMint.com; Jan 7, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:29 PM   #33
garybUK
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
I think a big reason why developers are moving away from the iOS HIG(Human Interface Guide) is because apple is allowing it. Before if you didnt use 99% standard iOS controls your app was sure to be rejected. Now it seems Apple is a little more lax on what you can do.

I just submitted a new App that really does not use any standard controls but still behaves somewhat within the HIG.

I really like the simple look of letterpress/windows phone apps so I went that way.


Very much a niche app with no content relevance here but a letterpress/windows phone combo design. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/occu...6123?ls=1&mt=8
Sorry but, in my eyes, that looks awful.... the gaudy 2d flat colours.... androids appreciation of the 'flat' look is much nicer than Windows; but it's all subjective.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:38 PM   #34
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
I think a big reason why developers are moving away from the iOS HIG(Human Interface Guide) is because apple is allowing it. Before if you didnt use 99% standard iOS controls your app was sure to be rejected. Now it seems Apple is a little more lax on what you can do.

I just submitted a new App that really does not use any standard controls but still behaves somewhat within the HIG.

I really like the simple look of letterpress/windows phone apps so I went that way.


Very much a niche app with no content relevance here but a letterpress/windows phone combo design. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/occu...6123?ls=1&mt=8
No offense but that looks like it was made by an amateur with a WYSIWYG editor. Actual Microsoft design language ("Metro") looks far better
__________________
2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0 GHz i7 (10.10.1); 64 GB VZW iPhone 6 (8.1.1); 32 GB iPad mini Wi-Fi (8.1.1)
BlaqkAudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:36 PM   #35
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
No offense but that looks like it was made by an amateur with a WYSIWYG editor. Actual Microsoft design language ("Metro") looks far better
It was made by an amateur (Me) lol. Anyways I still prefer the look to the basic boring iOS controls. Hopefully with time I can get it a little better looking thanks for the input.

No editor/design program was used just solid color buttons/images . This way I was able to make it very light weight and when writing for 3.5inch 4inch and ipad sizes everything scales without having 3-4 diff sets of images. I guess luckily for me everything else in the niche looks pretty bad so maybe I am the best of the worst?
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG


Last edited by TouchMint.com; Jan 7, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:43 PM   #36
shawnwich
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
It was made by an amateur (Me) lol. Anyways I still prefer the look to the basic boring iOS controls. Hopefully with time I can get it a little better looking thanks for the input.
Can i give you a tip?

There's too many colors, and too many things on every screen. It's not terrible, though!

Good luck with the app.
shawnwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 AM   #37
Michael CM1
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
I love these experts. Same guys who said no one will use a phone without a keypad? No one will use the Internet on their phone? Go away and get a real job.
"There are some in the design community ..." translates as "we found two people who ..."

I think a lot of these geek-focused sites forget that with the numbers of phones sold, the geek way may not be the mot popular. Sure, you may find a bunch of people who want to heavily customize a phone. But then you get my parents, aunts and uncles who are so glad the thing just works out of the box.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
While the main point of the article merits consideration and discussion, the article itself is just Elgan going full retard.

Yearly contests? LAWL.
LOL. Everybody knows you never go full retard.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver 64GB iPhone 6; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple VGA Adapter no longer working on iPhone 4S after updating to iOS 7 d1ego iPhone Accessories 1 Nov 5, 2013 02:59 AM
Why did Apple remove design from iOS 7? darkgoob iOS 7 322 Jul 15, 2013 01:10 PM
iOS 7 a slap in the face to graphics designers? ScottishCaptain iOS 7 9 Jun 12, 2013 09:03 AM
iPhone: IOS 6.0.1 No Longer Signed By Apple for the Iphone 5 la79 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 26 Jan 15, 2013 08:58 AM
iPad Mini: Apple iOS design shift AdonisSMU iPad 1 Nov 4, 2012 01:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC