Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOLE.LUCKY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hi everyone. Im sorry if this question has been asked before. I even searched for my query but didnt find any related thread.
I am thinking of buying an unlocked iphone 5 from the us and using it in india. I wanted to know the drawbacks of doing so. I am using an ipad 3 in india, bought from the us, and the only problem i have come across is that i need a us credit card number to buy paid apps.
There are plenty of threads about buying an unlocked phone and then getting it jailbroken and what not, but i couldnt find any thread about importing unlocked phones.
If anyone could, please tell me the disadvantages of doing what im thinking to do. I know i will not be able to avail the warranty, but hey, ill get the phone almost 10000 inr cheaper. Shipping is no problem as some family friends are visiting me very soon.
And also, ive heard that i could buy something called" itunes cashcard" to buy apps here. Id appreciate if someone could tell me about this cashcard also.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
There are no downsides.. You just have to make sure which version of the iPhone 5 you are going to buy (GSM or CDMA) as they need to be compatible with your country's 3G/LTE data network, or you will end up with really slow download speeds.

As for the itunes and US credit card, you can now buy songs from the Indian Itunes store, so just change your itunes account region to India and you can use local credit cards and/or bank cards. So there is no downside anymore, for your iPhone 5 or iPad 3. I can see you having trouble with warranty though, if you have a problem, Indian Apple store most likely will not warranty your brand new iphone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.