Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
macbanda
macrumors member

Mountain Lion on iMac

I just bought a new MacBook pro with Mountain Lion, I have an iMac I'd like to upgrade to Mountain Lion, do I have to purchase a separate license if I want to install?

Thank you.
macbanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbanda View Post
I just bought a new MacBook pro with Mountain Lion, I have an iMac I'd like to upgrade to Mountain Lion, do I have to purchase a separate license if I want to install?

Thank you.
The way I read Apple's licensing agreement, paragraph #2, the answer is no.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

No, you can install ML (that you've purchased from the App Store) on all your Macs registered with your Apple ID.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:29 AM   #4
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

As I understand it, the preinstalled license does not actually count as a purchased copy the OP can reinstall on another computer. The preinstalled copy does not require an AppleID to reinstall, and will not cause Mountain Lion to be listed in the Purchases tab of the App Store. If the OP wants to upgrade another computer that did not come with Mountain Lion, he/she must purchase Mountain Lion for the $19.99 from the Mac App Store.
JediMeister is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
macbanda
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
As I understand it, the preinstalled license does not actually count as a purchased copy the OP can reinstall on another computer. The preinstalled copy does not require an AppleID to reinstall, and will not cause Mountain Lion to be listed in the Purchases tab of the App Store. If the OP wants to upgrade another computer that did not come with Mountain Lion, he/she must purchase Mountain Lion for the $19.99 from the Mac App Store.
Thanks to all that responded - I decided to buy it since it's only $20. I have yet to install it. I know backing up my information is the wise thing to do but I'm curious if anyone has had problems losing information when upgrading.
macbanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thanks to all that responded - I decided to buy it since it's only $20. I have yet to install it. I know backing up my information is the wise thing to do but I'm curious if anyone has had problems losing information when upgrading.
I have not seen anybody losing data during a normal Mountain Lion upgrade, but here is what I have seen a few times. Installing a new OS gives the hard drive a pretty good workout and I have seen drives just up and die during the OS install due to the stress of the OS install itself.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The OS upgrade is designed to replace the system files and leave your user data, settings and apps intact.

But, you should have a backup, regardless of installing a new OS.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion