Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:43 PM   #76
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
Why are many people foolish enough to think that SGS3 is a better phone than the iPhone 5? iPhone 5 is definitely a better phone and I have tried both phones... SGS3 is laggy and many Android apps are buggy
Do you have any....I don't know, "examples" or just a blanket statement?

Some people are or feel too locked down down in iOS 6 (no jailbreak, hence the name jailbreak BTW) for it to be a good device to fit their needs. Or just any particular reason. For example I NEED to be able to email multiple PDF files in a single email for work. Since this ever so complicated task (sarcasm) is impossible in iOS I need to carry a laptop or Android or any mobile OS aside iOS for that matter to do this. I chose an Android tablet. Someone else may NEED to have the best current maps with the best most accurate POI's...

Point being either phone is only better for what its being used to do. Only a foolish person would generalize that their needs are one size fits all....
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:45 PM   #77
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwicks View Post
Sounds like a case of user error.
Just a troll really. Anyone with a one liner like that is looking for a fight.

I went with a Note 2 because the iPhone was lagging, and the iOS apps were buggy.

See we can do it too.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:07 AM   #78
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks
Was there an answer to this question? I have done a search and played around with contacts but couldn't see the option anywhere
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:13 AM   #79
iCole
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I like to the integrated smooth feel of the iPhone. But I prefer the S3 with it's bigger screen, removable battery and options of customization. I just couldn't justify the high price of the iPhone anymore. Also, iOS starts to feel a bit boring and I have been very impressed with the overal stability and fuidity of Jelly Bean. Great phone! So unless Apple does something different with iOS and pricing, I can't see myself having an iPhone in the future.

I'm not ready to trade in my iPad tho. The app selection is just too good and I love the guestures.

And ofcourse, much love to my Mac (who is getting a HDD replacement )
iCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:50 AM   #80
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
Was there an answer to this question? I have done a search and played around with contacts but couldn't see the option anywhere
Yes, S Voice can do all of that. Some of what you ask is done through Google Now, and others are done through the calendar or tasks.

The sad part is that it's not as useful as I'd like. Much like iOS, I have to say too much to complete the task.

Steps:
1) Press home button twice and wait for chime
2) Say "Remind me about dinner with wife"
3) Wait for S Voice to acknowledge
4) S Voice confirms what I say then asks if that's what I want
5) Say "Yes"

Too many steps, but I know that they are necessary. Worked the same for me with Siri. Then, some of the tasks are completed through a Google search, instead of bringing up a relevant app, although, you can just ask S Voice to open the app.

One thing S Voice can't do that it should is send an email AFAIK.
__________________
What do I have?, stuff that I actually use for work! Some old, some new, all effective.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:00 AM   #81
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Yes, S Voice can do all of that. Some of what you ask is done through Google Now, and others are done through the calendar or tasks.

The sad part is that it's not as useful as I'd like. Much like iOS, I have to say too much to complete the task.

Steps:
1) Press home button twice and wait for chime
2) Say "Remind me about dinner with wife"
3) Wait for S Voice to acknowledge
4) S Voice confirms what I say then asks if that's what I want
5) Say "Yes"

Too many steps, but I know that they are necessary. Worked the same for me with Siri. Then, some of the tasks are completed through a Google search, instead of bringing up a relevant app, although, you can just ask S Voice to open the app.

One thing S Voice can't do that it should is send an email AFAIK.
Ah right cool. Excellent Thanks
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:01 PM   #82
N0ddie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
I took delivery of my new Samsung Galaxy S3 on Saturday (Though my memory card still ain't arrived. So much for guaranteed delivery Amazon) and am really impressed so far. I've had iPhones since the 3G and got my iPhone 5 on launch day and just got bored of it really and fancied a change.

I've never played with an Android phone for more than 5 minutes in a shop so never really got what it's all about. The customisation options are endless. It's superb. Though the change to Android has not been an easy one. We run mostly Apple equipment (27" iMac, 13" Air, iPad 2, iPad mini, 4 x iPods, Apple TV) and making the switch to the GS3 has been tricky. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I recon once I'm used to how everything works Ill be much happier.

Also love the handset itself. Very iPhone 3G like in its general shape/design albeit significantly bigger.

But yeah. Definitely impressed so far.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256Gb SSD; iPad Air 128Gb; iPad 2, 64Gb; iPad Mini 16Gb; iPod Touch, 16Gb; Apple TV 3; Blue iPhone 5C 32Gb
N0ddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #83
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
I took delivery of my new Samsung Galaxy S3 on Saturday (Though my memory card still ain't arrived. So much for guaranteed delivery Amazon) and am really impressed so far. I've had iPhones since the 3G and got my iPhone 5 on launch day and just got bored of it really and fancied a change.

I've never played with an Android phone for more than 5 minutes in a shop so never really got what it's all about. The customisation options are endless. It's superb. Though the change to Android has not been an easy one. We run mostly Apple equipment (27" iMac, 13" Air, iPad 2, iPad mini, 4 x iPods, Apple TV) and making the switch to the GS3 has been tricky. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I recon once I'm used to how everything works Ill be much happier.

Also love the handset itself. Very iPhone 3G like in its general shape/design albeit significantly bigger.

But yeah. Definitely impressed so far.
IMO the s3 is the best phone to make the switch to (that or the note II). They really do not have much of a learning curve and samsung put some bad ass features into the phone.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:37 PM   #84
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
I took delivery of my new Samsung Galaxy S3 on Saturday (Though my memory card still ain't arrived. So much for guaranteed delivery Amazon) and am really impressed so far. I've had iPhones since the 3G and got my iPhone 5 on launch day and just got bored of it really and fancied a change.

I've never played with an Android phone for more than 5 minutes in a shop so never really got what it's all about. The customisation options are endless. It's superb. Though the change to Android has not been an easy one. We run mostly Apple equipment (27" iMac, 13" Air, iPad 2, iPad mini, 4 x iPods, Apple TV) and making the switch to the GS3 has been tricky. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I recon once I'm used to how everything works Ill be much happier.

Also love the handset itself. Very iPhone 3G like in its general shape/design albeit significantly bigger.

But yeah. Definitely impressed so far.
Most of my friends and associates are true Apple enthusiasts with large investments in computers and iOS devices.

That said, it's really been an eye opener to watch as they switch to the Galaxy S 3 and find themselves both impressed and delighted with the progress that Android has made.

I've been holding out, although I must admit I don't know how much longer I will. The larger, faster, smoother S 3 is very tempting.

Now with rumors buzzing about the upcoming S 4, I may cave in and buy one of those upon release, to replace my iPhone 5. I've had every iPhone to date and enjoyed them all.

Yet I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm impressed with ver 4.2.1 of Jelly Bean. Android has come a long way and has all the features that appeal to me.

Time will tell.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #85
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Most of my friends and associates are true Apple enthusiasts with large investments in computers and iOS devices.

That said, it's really been an eye opener to watch as they switch to the Galaxy S 3 and find themselves both impressed and delighted with the progress that Android has made.

I've been holding out, although I must admit I don't know how much longer I will. The larger, faster, smoother S 3 is very tempting.

Now with rumors buzzing about the upcoming S 4, I may cave in and buy one of those upon release, to replace my iPhone 5. I've had every iPhone to date and enjoyed them all.

Yet I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm impressed with ver 4.2.1 of Jelly Bean. Android has come a long way and has all the features that appeal to me.

Time will tell.
It's really what many have been predicting for a few years now. That exclusivity with AT&T may have helped Apple drive up the drooling hype that a fanboy like myself had when the iPhone first came to market, but in the end it may have limited the device's reach to a broader audience.

If I didn't have to wait almost 4 years to get the phone on Sprint, I may not have picked up my first "alternative to iOS" handset almost three years ago, and then Android soon after.

It's like a repeat of what happened to Apple in the early 90's . . . the market got "inspiration" from Apple, but soon after started doing it's own innovation and revolutionizing and took off to leave Apple a few paces behind.
__________________
What do I have?, stuff that I actually use for work! Some old, some new, all effective.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #86
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Its good to have competition. I always go back n forth between the two devices. They both have their differences that make them unique.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:34 PM   #87
N0ddie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256Gb SSD; iPad Air 128Gb; iPad 2, 64Gb; iPad Mini 16Gb; iPod Touch, 16Gb; Apple TV 3; Blue iPhone 5C 32Gb
N0ddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:39 PM   #88
jamojamo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
Was there an answer to this question? I have done a search and played around with contacts but couldn't see the option anywhere
You can set relationships by doing the following:
In Contacts
Scroll to bottom and Choose the "Add Field" (touch or click on the + sign)
Choose "Related People"
Choose the "relationship type" and either enter the name or click on the blue chevron to choose from your other contacts.

It's pretty easy actually.
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:49 PM   #89
kevinof
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dublin/London
Different screen sizes (ie consumes more power). Also android always does a lot more in the background like widget updating, google now etc that are not present in IOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.
kevinof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #90
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Anyone here waiting for the S4 rather than going with the S3?
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:18 PM   #91
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Anyone here waiting for the S4 rather than going with the S3?
My sister has an upgrade in March and she was going to get the S3 but I told her that if you're that close to a new release you might as well wait.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:59 PM   #92
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Anyone here waiting for the S4 rather than going with the S3?
I'm not "waiting" per se, as my iPhone 5 is doing the job.

Yet I'm watching the S4 rumors closely since I will most likely be ready for Android by then.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:06 PM   #93
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
I'm not "waiting" per se, as my iPhone 5 is doing the job. Yet I'm watching the S4 rumors closely since I will most likely be ready for Android by then.
I'm due for an upgrade from my iPhone 4 and I want a larger screen. I'm going to give Android a try for the first time ever. The only remaining question is, which phone??
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:58 AM   #94
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.
Define heavy use. I used to be able to run my iPhone 5 down in a day quite easily with no gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojamo View Post
You can set relationships by doing the following:
In Contacts
Scroll to bottom and Choose the "Add Field" (touch or click on the + sign)
Choose "Related People"
Choose the "relationship type" and either enter the name or click on the blue chevron to choose from your other contacts.

It's pretty easy actually.
Thanks. I found this option when I migrated my contacts from iCloud to Gmail.
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:59 AM   #95
MuddyPaws1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks
The only thing it can't do out of your list is location based reminders and i'm not sure about the mom and dad thing. I never tried it because my contact for my mom is called mom so when I way text mom it does it.

Location based reminders is something that it REALLY needs. It's the only thing I miss from moving from the iPhone.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #96
N0ddie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
Anyone used Easy Phone Sync app to sync their SG3 with iTunes?

My 64Gb memory card arrived today so now looking to begin to fill it.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256Gb SSD; iPad Air 128Gb; iPad 2, 64Gb; iPad Mini 16Gb; iPod Touch, 16Gb; Apple TV 3; Blue iPhone 5C 32Gb
N0ddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:29 PM   #97
tonyy
macrumors 6502a
 
tonyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas
My upgrade is due in June and I've been itching to try an Android this time around. Might have to see what the S4 is going to be like but I have someone that wants to trade their Note 2 for my i5.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #98
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Location based reminders is something that it REALLY needs. It's the only thing I miss from moving from the iPhone.
I don't know if it's the same for some, but it does have location based alarms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
Anyone used Easy Phone Sync app to sync their SG3 with iTunes?

My 64Gb memory card arrived today so now looking to begin to fill it.
I know the feeling. Having 80GB of raw space is wonderful. I used iSyncr until I hopped on the Google Music wagon.
__________________
What do I have?, stuff that I actually use for work! Some old, some new, all effective.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:39 PM   #99
N0ddie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
I know the feeling. Having 80GB of raw space is wonderful. I used iSyncr until I hopped on the Google Music wagon.
It turns out that its a very handy piece of software. Can do music, photos, calendar entries etc but find everything but the music quite untidy. The OCD in me doesnt like mess, so just use it for music and I manually export events in iPhoto to the memory card on the phone.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256Gb SSD; iPad Air 128Gb; iPad 2, 64Gb; iPad Mini 16Gb; iPod Touch, 16Gb; Apple TV 3; Blue iPhone 5C 32Gb
N0ddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:48 PM   #100
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
Anyone used Easy Phone Sync app to sync their SG3 with iTunes?

My 64Gb memory card arrived today so now looking to begin to fill it.
Never used that but doubletwist works great for me.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used iPhone 4S vs new Samsung Galaxy III Mini Dr. McKay Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Sep 17, 2013 08:46 PM
My iPhone - Wife's Samsung Galaxy S III SevengerNC Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 81 Nov 15, 2012 10:07 PM
Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint Dolorian Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 111 Sep 4, 2012 12:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC