Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1
youeyemind
macrumors member

Buying Decisions...Help me with a new Mac

I want the new 27 inch Imac. Its incredible but I may not need it. I need a Mac for editing photos and videos (Imovie) and I love OSX.

I own a gaming Pc with I7 4.6 ghz OC, GTX580, 840 Pro SSD, 8GB mem. 26 inch monitor but it kinda sucks (Samsung T260HD)

Option 1. Keep the gaming PC and buy a Mac Mini. Use the Mac mini for everything except gaming and us my PC for that. This would be cheaper but not so much if I upgrade my sup par monitor. Price around $1700 for mini and monitor.

Option 2: Try to sell a very difficult item to sell. I have had my PC on Craigslist minus the SSD for 3 weeks! If it sells, BUY a awesome IMAC I7 680mx and upgrade the ram myself. Price minus the sale: $1300 but the tower may not sell which would mean $2400 with edu discount

Option 3: Continue to try to understand the wild world of Hackintosh where some of my hardware might not work and reading about it for two days has not given me much confidence. The people on the forum do not reply.

What should I do guys? I would like to save money obviously but I am tired of not owning a mac.
youeyemind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

If you really want to game I still feel a PC is better for gaming. I guess I could be wrong nowadays, but it was PC all the way for me when I was gaming. That being said, I doubt you're going to unload your gaming PC for the price you're hoping for so I think you may find a Mac Mini is your best bet.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:49 PM   #3
youeyemind
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Mac Mini is your best bet.

That option sounds good until I try to get a monitor that is just as superior as the IPS 27 inch and remember buying a Thunderbolt display is out of the question because it wont connect to my PC/graphics card.

I mean is there a monitor out there that is just as awesome as the apple one that comes with the IMAC?

keep those suggestions coming
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
iWas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youeyemind View Post
That option sounds good until I try to get a monitor that is just as superior as the IPS 27 inch and remember buying a Thunderbolt display is out of the question because it wont connect to my PC/graphics card.

I mean is there a monitor out there that is just as awesome as the apple one that comes with the IMAC?

keep those suggestions coming
This should be just as nice as the apple display.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=225-4015

Just wanted to add that dell gives you a 3-year warranty as standard and guarantees the panels in their ultrasharp line to be free of any pixel issues. Even a single pixel being bright or dead and they will replace the panel.
iWas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:00 PM   #5
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

I hold with those who favor the Mac mini.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
youeyemind
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWas View Post
This should be just as nice as the apple display.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=225-4015

Just wanted to add that dell gives you a 3-year warranty as standard and guarantees the panels in their ultrasharp line to be free of any pixel issues. Even a single pixel being bright or dead and they will replace the panel.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a nice monitor.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac