Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi
before the launch/start of sales of the 2012/2013 iMacs there was a lot of concern about getting heating issues on the njew 21.5 iMacs and I guess also the 27 iMacs...
Now a lot of you I guess have been working your iMacs so...

How did that turn out??
Does the fans go all the time??are they loud??is there indeed a heating issue??
or is the new iMacs a real dream with no heating issues at all?

best regards micke

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Hi
before the launch/start of sales of the 2012/2013 iMacs there was a lot of concern about getting heating issues on the njew 21.5 iMacs and I guess also the 27 iMacs...
Now a lot of you I guess have been working your iMacs so...

How did that turn out??
Does the fans go all the time??are they loud??is there indeed a heating issue??
or is the new iMacs a real dream with no heating issues at all?

best regards micke

I think there have been a few threads on this. My impression so far is that heat is handled very well, at least in my 27" iMac.

R-Flow

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2012
Amsterdam, NL
I could bake an egg on the back of my previous 2010 iMac. Especially the upper left corner became so hot I could hardly hold my hand against it. I've been absolutely amazed by how cool my new 2012 27-inch iMac stays. The back becomes lukewarm at best.

Apple definitely made a lot of improvements in this area which I find impressive considering how much thinner the new iMac is.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The general feeling from posters who own the machine is it's much better.

But if you'd been around these boards about 1 month ago the new iMac was an absolute heat nightmare... Of course all those sprouting such mistruths had never even touched a 2012 iMac.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
This is my 1st iMac since my old 20" white one so I don't have much to say on the models in between being hot. This one though doesn't seem to heat up much at all and I don't ever hear a fan come on at all. I do have the 1 with the fusion drive and since all my stuff is stored externally I don't know how exactly it works with switching from the regular HD and SSD. I leave mine on all the time and haven't shut it off since I got it Christmas eve and haven't had any issues.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its amazing, as it handles heat much better then the previous models!! You have to give Apple credit where its due for that at least. Even while gaming the back of my 27" with 680mx only gets luke warm, my 2008 iMac gets so hot even while idle in OSX you cant keep your hand on the back!

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I also have had no issues with heat at all. I haven't pushed it terribly hard, but have done a number of Handbrake HD encodes and the fan hasn't gone above 1200rpms and the machine is always cool to the touch (my 2011 21.5 base model would get warm to the touch).

Seems like the new one runs cooler and quieter than previous generation.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I have a new 27" iMac, my first Apple computer.

It is not quite dead silent and the entire external surface of the computer is extremely cool to the touch, everywhere.

Apple has either perfected the art of cooling heat generating components, or they have mastered the physics of insulating heat generation from evidencing to external surfaces.

I'll go with occum's razor that they have solved the cooling issue.

chevellian

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Hi, I've had my new 21" iMac for 12 days and it is my first desktop mac (I also own a rMBP) and it handles heat very well, had not experienced over heating at all but I must say this is our family computer, just safari, mail, netflix, word excel.

I've trying to get StarCraft 2 in this iMac but haven't get a break to.

In other words, quiet machine :)

-chev

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
My 27" feels cool-to-neutral to the touch and almost silent when working hard. I've pushed it with 2D and 3D image rendering. Have not done any video renders yet, so can't speak for that. I am extremely happy with my technology purchase.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I have a new 27" iMac, my first Apple computer.

It is not quite dead silent and the entire external surface of the computer is extremely cool to the touch, everywhere.

Apple has either perfected the art of cooling heat generating components, or they have mastered the physics of insulating heat generation from evidencing to external surfaces.

I'll go with occum's razor that they have solved the cooling issue.

the lower temps might have more to do with intel's ivy bridge and nvidia's kepler than Apple's miraculous cooling...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.