Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LaCie introduced a pair of high-capacity storage devices at CES today.

The first, the LaCie 5big is a 10 or 20TB external RAID box connected via Thunderbolt. The box includes five drives with multiple RAID options for backup and speed, as well as a pair of Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining. The box is $2,199 in 20TB configuration, and $1,199 for the 10TB version.

5bigTB_intro.png
LaCie also introduced the 5big NAS Pro, a gigabit ethernet equipped network storage box available in multiple capacities: 0TB (diskless) for $529, 10TB for $1,199, and 20TB for $2,199.
Today LaCie announced the 5big NAS Pro, its latest high-performance 5-bay network-attached storage solution powered by Intel®. Thanks to hybrid cloud technology, the LaCie 5big NAS Pro lets employees collaborate easily using a single interface for both network/cloud storage and remote access. Plus, data stays secure thanks to novice-friendly SimplyRAID and client-side cloud encryption.

With transfer speeds up to 200MB/s*, the LaCie 5big NAS Pro boosts business productivity. Powered by a dual-core 2.13GHz Intel 64-bit Atom(TM) processor and 4GB RAM, it also features dual LAN and link aggregation for optimized network speeds. This performance-driven combination accelerates file sharing, remote access, and backups for small businesses.
The 5big Thunderbolt drive is available for order from LaCie today, while LaCie is taking sign ups to be notified when the 5big NAS Pro is available.

Article Link: CES 2013: LaCie Introduces New 20TB Thunderbolt and NAS Products

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
NO. Though, to be fair, it didn't have as much dynamic peripherals as the TB.

FireWire wasn't cheap, but it wasn't exorbitant.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Kinda upset to see it doesn't offer mSATA to provide a 32, 64, or 128GB cache drive like the Drobo's have.

It makes a BIG difference in speed.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
NO. Though, to be fair, it didn't have as much dynamic peripherals as the TB.

FireWire wasn't cheap, but it wasn't exorbitant.

Agreed! Although, these aren't nearly as bad as the Pegasus enclosures from Promise. Although, the price may be justified with LaCie's track record in QC.

I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
DOA for me with only RAID 0 and 1.

supports 5 and 5+spare.

Wish it had RAID 6 too. Although not sure if performance is better with RAID 5 + Spare or RAID 6.

----------

I don't understand the 0TB. What's the point of a diskless storage device for over $500?

So you can provide your own set of disks if you already have a set.

Or not over pay for the same drives you can get at another retailer

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Can someone please explain to me why you would choose the NAS over a Thunderbolt model given the identical price and assuming you had a Thunderbolt equipped Mac which could host the Thunderbolt model as a shared disk over a network?

Given the difference in transfer speeds I can't really work it out - there would be no point putting SSDS in the NAS at those speeds (to be fair there would be little point buying a 5 bay enclosure to kit out with SSDs regardless of connection type given current GB/$ prices for SSDs and HDDs unless you needed über-speed on your remote storage).

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Agreed! Although, these aren't nearly as bad as the Pegasus enclosures from Promise. Although, the price may be justified with LaCie's track record in QC.

I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

I've had 3 bad experiences with Lacie and their warranty service finds every excuse not to cover it.

1 was power supply, 1 was failed drive, 1 was connection issues.

The failed drive I replaced myself. The one with the bad power supply brick I ended up taking the one with connection issues and trashed the drive enclosure.

----------

Can someone please explain to me why you would choose the NAS over a Thunderbolt model given the identical price and assuming you had a Thunderbolt equipped Mac which could host the Thunderbolt model as a shared disk over a network?

Given the difference in transfer speeds I can't really work it out - there would be no point putting SSDS in the NAS at those speeds (to be fair there would be little point buying a 5 bay enclosure to kit out with SSDs regardless of connection type given current GB/$ prices for SSDs and HDDs unless you needed über-speed on your remote storage).

Those speeds are based off of mechanical drives, not SSDs.

NAS allows the device to be a standalone vs having a Mac/PC on to share files over the network.

This device would be 100x better having an mSATA port on the bottom for a cache drive.

Better?

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
The first 5 MB and 10 MB (Trustor) hard disks for the Apple ][ and ][+ were quite pricey then too. I think they were around the same price back in the 1982-1984 time frame.

edit: And that really is MB, not GB or TB. Talk about a huge change over the last 30 years.

For those of you who wre around longer than I am, was FireWire as expensive at launch?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Looking between this new one and version 2, the new one lacks iSCSI, RAID 6, and a few other important things for business use.

Kinda shocked they dropped that support. Although they did add USB 3.0 and dual link aggregation

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
For those of you who wre around longer than I am, was FireWire as expensive at launch?

I was at an educational conference where an Apple engineer was demonstrating a FireWire board with a $300 camera.

I mentioned how sick I was of dealing with SCSI cables and terminators and would love to have firewire drives. He laughed and explained that FireWire was designed for video.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't understand the 0TB. What's the point of a diskless storage device for over $500?

So you can provide your own set of disks if you already have a set. Or not over pay for the same drives you can get at another retailer

Add to that some HDD manufacturers/retailers have better warranties and coverage.

I've had 3 bad experiences with Lacie and their warranty service finds every excuse not to cover it.

1 was power supply, 1 was failed drive, 1 was connection issues.

I had four bad power supplies from LaCie and justs about all of them went up within the same year . . . . right when the warranty was up.

I haven't had a single issue with the mobile drives LaCie makes. I've two rugged drives pushing 6 years that haven't given me one single problem.

I was wondering who needed that much storage...

I have a short documentary (45 minutes) a colleague and I are working on, and the raw footage alone is pushing 3TBs. I haven't marketed myself to do any freelance post in almost 4 years, but even then, with the small projects I ate 7TBs easy. I am talking 30 second spots eating up 100GBs in raw footage alone.

Imagine an indie feature.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Add to that some HDD manufacturers/retailers have better warranties and coverage.

I had four bad power supplies from LaCie and justs about all of them went up within the same year . . . . right when the warranty was up.

I haven't had a single issue with the mobile drives LaCie makes. I've two rugged drives pushing 6 years that haven't given me one single problem.

I have a short documentary (45 minutes) a colleague and I are working on, and the raw footage alone is pushing 3TBs. I haven't marketed myself to do any freelance post in almost 4 years, but even then, with the small projects I ate 7TBs easy. I am talking 30 second spots eating up 100GBs in raw footage alone.

Imagine an indie feature.

Yup. I switched to Drobo and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of people dislike them, most because of price, but they offer what I need and never had an issue with any of their products other than the Drobo FS which is discontinued.

I'm considering picking up the Drobo 5N for personal use and killing my file server. I just wish they offered Active Directory/LDAP support.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
The price is quite good if you calculate for yourself the cost of 5 drives to get to 20 TB, cost of a big enough enclosure with cooling, SATA controllers and a power supply you end up not far from what they're asking. Of course their solution is a bit more expensive but you get a beautiful, compact, small yet high efficiency enclosure with hot swap capability and Thunderbolt connectivity which wasn't included in my comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.