Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

My pb is not installing correctly...

Hey I got the hard drive cable for my powerbook but upon installing the os it kept going up in estimated time to outrageous amounts.

Thumb resize.
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
Hey I got the hard drive cable for my powerbook but upon installing the os it kept going up in estimated time to outrageous amounts.

Thumb resize.
That's not outrageous. I've seen it hit days. There are zillions of small files that OSX installs and the installer tries to estimate time based on those small files. You'll notice that the time decreases when the installer is working on larger files. The only thing that matters is that it all gets installed.

If you want to see what the installer is doing though, go to the installer menu and have it show the log for successful and errors ( something like that). A new window will open and as the installer works you can see which files it's working on.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thumb resize.
whenever i install a new os I just set it into motion then go to mcdonalds come back and bam your ready to start
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
whenever i install a new os I just set it into motion then go to mcdonalds come back and bam your ready to start
It hit an error, i havent had to wait even 25mins for osx to install ever even on my powerbook g3 333mhz.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

OP, you'll have to be a bit more specific about your particular model and whatever other kind of other information you might think is helpful.

For instance, why did you have to replace the hard drive cable? Is it possible that your original hard drive is dying? Those PATA mechanical drives are now anywhere from 7 to 10+ years old. If they don't have bad sectors, they surely at least have wear and tear just from sheer old age. If an older computer is running unbearably slow and pulling up errors during the install, it's likely the drive is on its way out.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post
OP, you'll have to be a bit more specific about your particular model and whatever other kind of other information you might think is helpful.

For instance, why did you have to replace the hard drive cable? Is it possible that your original hard drive is dying? Those PATA mechanical drives are now anywhere from 7 to 10+ years old. If they don't have bad sectors, they surely at least have wear and tear just from sheer old age. If an older computer is running unbearably slow and pulling up errors during the install, it's likely the drive is on its way out.
The powerbook didnt come with one, just bought the hard drive working pulled from an ibook. It is the powerbook g4 ti 800mhz.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The powerbook didnt come with one, just bought the hard drive working pulled from an ibook. It is the powerbook g4 ti 800mhz.
What's the size/capacity/age of the HD? You should run some kind of disk test or smart utility on that drive with another computer and see if it is dying.

Also, did the powerbook also come missing the cable?
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post
What's the size/capacity/age of the HD? You should run some kind of disk test or smart utility on that drive with another computer and see if it is dying.

Also, did the powerbook also come missing the cable?
I figured it out, it was my hdd shorting out. Thanks for all thr help though

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs