Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Boogsephine
macrumors regular

Replacing Logicboard -- should I do it?

In reference a post I made in the iMac section about the logicboard in a 24" iMac going bad, I did a little research with replacing it and having it installed. Below is a link to the entire thread where I tried to post up the kernel panic logs and get everything working.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1518734

Long story short -- I have a mid-2007 24" iMac (MA878LL/A) I bought for $50 from my boss. Kernel panic screen comes up every few minutes when I get it on. I tried swapping the memory out and mixing it up with some of the old memory he had, didn't help. Threw in a 400GB sATA drive I had in my dresser, couldn't make it through the OS X installer without KP. Ran the AHT and it came back with no errors.

Since I'm almost positive it IS the logicboard and when my boss had it tested, a local authorized Apple repair / seller store said it was the logicboard (this was December 2011).

I found some used and refurbished logicboards on eBay for roughly $150 - $200. The local store wants $90/hr for labor and it'll be between 1.5 and 2 hours. I replaced the hard drive by myself but don't know if I have the skill or patience to do the entire logicboard.

So $50 for the iMac, $175 (round up) for the logicboard and $180 (2 hr max) for the install = $405 total.

I think throwing in a SSD in it after the repair, if I do, would make it a pretty quick computer for basic use. It already has 4GB of RAM installed as well.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice