Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
So I want to install a fresh new copy of Mtn Lion 10.8.2. How can I do this but still get all my data and files back onto the clean install.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I would do this probably the old-fashioned way:

1.) Clone the internal hard disk onto an external hard disk with Carbon Copy Cloner.

2.) Clean install OS X 10.8 onto the internal hard disk as described in the Clean Install link above.

3.) Use Migration Assistant to copy applications and user data from the external hard disk onto the internal hard disk.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I would do this probably the old-fashioned way:

1.) Clone the internal hard disk onto an external hard disk with Carbon Copy Cloner.

2.) Clean install OS X 10.8 onto the internal hard disk as described in the Clean Install link above.

3.) Use Migration Assistant to copy applications and user data from the external hard disk onto the internal hard disk.

I have a time machine backup would that work with migration assistance?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a time machine backup would that work with migration assistance?

Yes it will. There is rally no reason for you to mess with CCC. After you complete the clean install it will run Migration Assistant and you can just point that to your TM backup for import.

Just to clarify something I believe you may already realize. If you command-r boot to recovery and just click "Install OS", that will reinstall the OS and WILL NOT erase your data. But doing a "clean" install where the Macintosh HD is erased from the command-r boot to recovery DOES erase all data. A clean install by definition involves erasing all data.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's worth pointing out that there's not much point in doing a "clean" install, if you're then going to use Migration Assistant to restore everything that used to be on your hard drive previously.

Most of the problems people have are not with the OS itself, which rarely needs reinstalling (unless some files have been altered or deleted), but from all the user settings and third-party apps that they add to it. Either that or corrupt caches and temp files which can be deleted.

It's a bit like changing your sheets because you've wet the bed -- and then peeing all over it, to get it just as you left it!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
When I do clean installs but want to save all my files, I do this:

Drag my Home Folder into an External HD.
Erase my Mac's HD.
Reinstall OS X.
Drag my files back in and reinstall my Apps.

The problem with this method is that you need to have backup copies of all your Applications stored on your External. If you only use Mac App Store Apps, then you won't need to worry about that. However, if you use Office and other programs that you didn't purchase from the MAS, you will need have the backup discs and reinstall them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.