Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
DropBox, ProjectBook and GoodReader get used a lot. I use a number of others less frequently but when I need them they are critical.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I used Dropbox until It finally dawned on me that it isn't secure at all.... from them. MS is much worse. They actually look at all your stuff as a rule.

Cloud is a good word: as in head in it. (If you say paranoid.....you bet :D )

I don't have much to hide, but it's possible there may be a copyright violation somewhere in my library. Even Saints are going to have a problem.

M

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I used Dropbox until It finally dawned on me that it isn't secure at all.... from them. MS is much worse. They actually look at all your stuff as a rule.

Cloud is a good word: as in head in it. (If you say paranoid.....you bet :D )

I don't have much to hide, but it's possible there may be a copyright violation somewhere in my library. Even Saints are going to have a problem.

M

And what makes you say Dropbox is not secure? Idle speculation?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

Uh, read the terms. They state that "Only a select group of employes can view your files". They also mention that the government has access.

Microsoft will go after you for nudity, apparently. For showing tits! :D

I mean, what's to prevent Homeland from snooping around? They LOVE to do that. They tell the company "If you don't play ball we will DESTROY YOU"."DO NOT notify anyone. this is National security matter" .

Fortunately , we have TV shows to sufficiently scare the **** out of us (for our own good, I might add) :D

Jesus, it makes me nervous typing this :D

Sure it's remotely likely that anything will happen, but it boils done to this:

Do you feel lucky?

note: to Clare Danes who I KNOW is reading this. Your one HOT fed hun.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Dropbox does not encrypt data in a way that renders it unreadable to the company themselves or anyone approaching them with a court order to take servers or view data. They have also had a few security scares in their time where data was made available without needing passwords.

For true trust-no-one security take a look at Spideroak. Their mobile app is download only at the moment but they are totally unable to view your data (same goes for anyone who steals or acquires your data without getting your encryption key, including law enforcement) and mobile upload shouldn't be too far away.

Alec

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
For true trust-no-one security take a look at Spideroak.
Alec

That looks better, but I can't help wonder if it's legal. Perhaps down the road their success attracts attention and the are forced to make changes.

I don't know.

But we don't have anything to worry about anyway. I know that none of us have pirated music or documents, and all of our stuff is 110% copyright legal and totally on the up&up....for ever an ever

Amen.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
It's so difficult to choose only two, but a lot of fun. I've especially enjoyed reading what apps others rate as best 2 apps.

For me, I think I'd have to go with:

1) Evernote (I'm a student again and this app is really the bee's knees!)
2) Dropbox (tough choice, but given there is no longer iDisk, Dropbox is my number 2 - if there had still been an iDisk, I'd have chosen Good Reader as my number 2 pick, which I love too!)

Good and fun thread this one, thanks to OP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.