Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel demoed low power versions of its 4th Generation Intel Core Processor family (Haswell) that should make its way into Apple's next generation of MacBooks. The chips were first previewed in September 2011 and low power chips should be available in late 2013 or 2014, while desktop models are expected this spring.

NewImage5.png
Image courtesy The Next Web
Intel also announced its intention to promote new Intel-powered touch-enabled Ultrabook devices using these new processors. Intel demonstrated one Ultrabook with a 13-hour battery life and said that these Ultrabooks with touch would start as low as $599, while units with a removable keyboard to convert to a tablet (like the Microsoft Surface) would start at around $799.

The company says the chips will provide a significant increase in both power and battery life and that devices using them should experience "true all-day battery life."
The 4th generation Intel Core processor family enables true all-day battery life -- representing the most significant battery life capability improvement in Intel history. Skaugen disclosed that new systems are expected to deliver up to 9 hours of continuous battery life, freeing people from some of the wires and bulky power bricks typically toted around.

"The 4th generation Core processors are the first Intel chips built from the ground up with the Ultrabook in mind," Skaugen said. "We expect the tremendous advancements in lower-power Core processors, and the significant ramp of touch-based systems will lead to a significant new wave of convertible Ultrabooks and tablets that are thinner, lighter and, at the same time, have the performance required for more human-like interaction such as touch, voice and gesture controls."
Intel has previously said that power efficiency is one of its top priorities in chip design going forward. Versions of these chips will eventually make their way to the MacBook Air, iMac, and the MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Intel Demos Future Ultrabook Designs, 4th Generation Core Processor Family

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Looking forward to the mainstream/performance chips. But do i have wrong that the chips will have a TDP of 37W, 47W and 57W i.e. 2W higher than the Bridge chips?

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Sounds like they are only getting a few notebook-grade cores per wafer, so it will take awhile to get enough to release on a large scale. Could be any number of things, including current stock at suppliers (and based on the large drops in purchasing, it wouldn't surprise me).

dav465

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Might be wrong but did intel not say that for Haswell to work it must have a touch screen.... Does that mean apple must upgrade to touch screen laptops to use haswell?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

Have you actually used a laptop running Windows 8 or are you just making guesses about what the experience would entail? (I haven't even seen one running Windows 8 in person, yet.)

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Have you actually used a laptop running Windows 8 or are you just making guesses about what the experience would entail? (I haven't even seen one running Windows 8 in person, yet.)

I have. My wife's laptop is a touch win 8 laptop. Lovely laptop but the touch just feels overkill.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
His comment doesn't require using win8. Using any touch screen that is upright creates the gorilla arm syndrome.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

With all due respect you are doing the same thing the person you quoted is.

Irony.

But.

I don't like the idea of laptops with touch screens unless you can fold it over.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Might be wrong but did intel not say that for Haswell to work it must have a touch screen.... Does that mean apple must upgrade to touch screen laptops to use haswell?

Its not for them to work but a guideline that companys must use for their windows ultrabook. The macbook air doesnt have to go by their guidelines i believe.

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
LATE 2013 or 2014? For Haswell? Not cool, so 9 months to a year? Ouch. Those defective retina mbp screens are starting to look like a better option than waiting--don't know if I can wait another year.

Waiting until June-July, ok, but until NEXT winter?

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
LATE 2013 or 2014? For Haswell? Not cool, so 9 months to a year? Ouch. Those defective retina mbp screens are starting to look like a better option than waiting--don't know if I can wait another year.

Waiting until June-July, ok, but until NEXT winter?

Is this story referring to Haswell, or is it the generation AFTER Haswell it's talking about?
I was hoping for Haswell macs this summer too.

Edit - oops, finally saw the word Haswell in the article after reading it the third time. Bummer.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac as small as possible (7 to 9-inches or so). Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sounds good..

A 2014 MBA 11" with Retina display and 10hr battery life would be perfect and right when my AppleCare runs out on my current MBA :)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
13 hours would be awesome in reality, but it will be probably be about 70-80% of that number in actual average real world usage.

Fingers still crossed for 13 hours, though!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Standard voltage desktop and mobile should be out in June. I was not expecting a presentation at CES. I thought anything Haswell related had been pushed back to Computex.

2013 or 2014 ? wow.

Maybe that rumor about the Air using Apple SOC's might come true next year.
Why do that when you can use Intel's x86 SoC? Or even AMD's. This year...

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac as small as possible (7 to 9-inches or so). Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.