Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Standard voltage desktop and mobile should be out in June. I was not expecting a presentation at CES. I thought anything Haswell related had been pushed back to Computex.

Why do that when you can use Intel's x86 SoC? Or even AMD's. This year...

Because Apple likes to use their own ?

:)

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

until apple announces a touch screen laptop... then people will be waving their credit card in the air praising jesus.

not saying you're that person, but my money is 90% of the people who make such a statement will be in that group. Come to think of it, the enthusiasm for such a thing was insane until microsoft did it, then everyone hated the idea.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac as small as possible (7 to 9-inches or so). Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

Inorite? If only, like, there was a pocket sized Apple product that could play PowerPoint or Keynote presos....

You WERE being facetious, right?

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The reason they are focusing on power consumption is the days of silicon are over. They just can't get anymore out of them. I am looking forward to developments of chip design on things like graphite along with nanotechnology developments to gain more speed.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
until apple announces a touch screen laptop... then people will be waving their credit card in the air praising jesus.

not saying you're that person, but my money is 90% of the people who make such a statement will be in that group. Come to think of it, the enthusiasm for such a thing was insane until microsoft did it, then everyone hated the idea.

Could you post a few examples of somebody actually acting this way on this forum? The accusation gets bandied about often, but usually by people that don't realise that large groups of individuals do tend to express conflicting opinions.

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
sounds like 2014 for macbooks. even if intel released it at the end of 2013 (and isnt intel usually late on their forcasts?) wouldnt apple still have to recieve the chips and then implement them and build them into the macbooks?

2014, if im doing well i'll upgrade!

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I wish there was a bit more clarification in this article. I've heard previously that standard mobile Haswell chips are coming in June, now apparently it's "late 2013 or 2014"? Is that only for ULV varieties? Where exactly are these dates coming from?

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.

Actually... that is kinda ridiculous. Size is not THAT relevant unless your eyes are really bad. It all comes down to resolution.
And NO one needs a 14" notebook that has the same resolution as a 13.3" one.

Same goes for the iMac... what resolution would a 24" iMac have? 1080p?
Alrdy got that in the 21.5". So what would you get? More real estate? No. Better image/display quality? No. It would actually be worse.
AND you'd lose space on your desk.

A different size is meaningless if it doesn't bring any new utility to the table!
You may disagree with me... but I believe this to be (part of) Apple's reasoning.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With all due respect you are doing the same thing the person you quoted is.

Irony.

In what way? He says that he'll get gorilla arm from using a win8 laptop and I asked whether he has actually used a win8 laptop before... he stated something as fact and I asked a question regarding his statement.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

Amen. Ultrabooks? More like Ultra-boring.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012

So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?

Just curious...in your opinion, what exactly is the difference between using a touchscreen laptop and an iPad with a keyboard attachment?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
where's the 'Mac' rumor in the story?

This is better than "Samsung releases unprecedentedly designed TV".

----------

So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?

Just curious...in your opinion, what exactly is the difference between using a touchscreen laptop and an iPad with a keyboard attachment?

I think you have just ignore the entire Macbook Pro line. They are laptops w/out touch screen.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Intel has previously said that power efficiency is one of its top priorities in chip design going forward.

It only took having their arses handed to them in the post-PC mobile chip market before Intel figured out they'd completely missed the boat. Oh, yeah, and they're also going to get around to decent graphics performance while they're at it. /sarcasm

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010

I have to say... I used my iPad like that today. To take notes during a lecture using an Apple wireless keyboard to type faster.

Typing and all was really great. But having to touch the screen in this laptop-like configuration was not just awkward... it plain sucked!
Luckily with commands like CMD+B etc. I didn't have to touch the screen all that often!
When I did though... horrible horrible!

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009

Not that I don't agree with you, but implying that using an iPad's touchscreen when propped up with the keyboard dock is actually comfortable, let alone the ideal way to use a touchscreen (as many manufacturers who are putting touchscreens on laptops seem to be implying), can't be a legitimate statement.

I've used many a Windows 8 laptop with touch screens and I just prefer mousing through the silly tile interface so I can get to the desktop and do things the right way. It's counterproductive and annoying. Unless you're holding it like a tablet or laying the screen flat on the ground, floating your hand and arm just to use a touchscreen on a laptop that already has a keyboard is not only unintuitive, but incredibly gimmicky.

Just my $.02.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
LATE 2013 or 2014? For Haswell? Not cool, so 9 months to a year? Ouch. Those defective retina mbp screens are starting to look like a better option than waiting--don't know if I can wait another year.

Waiting until June-July, ok, but until NEXT winter?
If you can wait, you do not need a new computer.

And btw, it is/was a well known fact, that mobile versions of Haswell appear in Late 2013/Early 2014. This has two reasons:
1. Lower demand on the market. More sales of ARM-based CPUs, means less Ivy Bridge/Haswell sales. And this number of ARM-processor sales is big, very big (Android devices, iOS devices & so on).
2. Intel releases better Ivy Bridge chips in 2013, and that creates a lower demand for Haswell chips.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Intel Demos Future Ultrabook Designs...

I doubt Intel knows anything about future ultrabook designs... because Apple wouldn't have told them :p

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.

They probably didnt make a 24 inch iMac due to the fact that there isnt any really standard resolution that fits between 1920 by 1080, and 2560 by 1440. If there was they could have, but i still highly doubt they would have if there was a resolution that could fit there.

Edit:

TheralSadurns already commented on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.