Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Standard voltage desktop and mobile should be out in June. I was not expecting a presentation at CES. I thought anything Haswell related had been pushed back to Computex.

Why do that when you can use Intel's x86 SoC? Or even AMD's. This year...
Because Apple likes to use their own ?

Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:02 PM   #27
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilycoder View Post
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.
until apple announces a touch screen laptop... then people will be waving their credit card in the air praising jesus.

not saying you're that person, but my money is 90% of the people who make such a statement will be in that group. Come to think of it, the enthusiasm for such a thing was insane until microsoft did it, then everyone hated the idea.
MacAddict1978 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:04 PM   #28
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx55 View Post
Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac as small as possible (7 to 9-inches or so). Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.
Inorite? If only, like, there was a pocket sized Apple product that could play PowerPoint or Keynote presos....

You WERE being facetious, right?
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:05 PM   #29
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
The reason they are focusing on power consumption is the days of silicon are over. They just can't get anymore out of them. I am looking forward to developments of chip design on things like graphite along with nanotechnology developments to gain more speed.
JoshBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
until apple announces a touch screen laptop... then people will be waving their credit card in the air praising jesus.

not saying you're that person, but my money is 90% of the people who make such a statement will be in that group. Come to think of it, the enthusiasm for such a thing was insane until microsoft did it, then everyone hated the idea.
Could you post a few examples of somebody actually acting this way on this forum? The accusation gets bandied about often, but usually by people that don't realise that large groups of individuals do tend to express conflicting opinions.
mw360 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:16 PM   #31
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

where's the 'Mac' rumor in the story?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:20 PM   #32
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenerous View Post
It's in the first sentence. Come on, are we not even reading that far these days?
mw360 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:25 PM   #33
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Looking forward to the mainstream/performance chips. But do i have wrong that the chips will have a TDP of 37W, 47W and 57W i.e. 2W higher than the Bridge chips?
Even if that is true, better power management & more efficient transistors reduce the power requirements dramatically.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:26 PM   #34
KdParker
macrumors 68030

We will see when it comes out....

Last edited by KdParker; Jan 7, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:27 PM   #35
modular
macrumors regular

sounds like 2014 for macbooks. even if intel released it at the end of 2013 (and isnt intel usually late on their forcasts?) wouldnt apple still have to recieve the chips and then implement them and build them into the macbooks?

2014, if im doing well i'll upgrade!
modular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:30 PM   #36
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

I wish there was a bit more clarification in this article. I've heard previously that standard mobile Haswell chips are coming in June, now apparently it's "late 2013 or 2014"? Is that only for ULV varieties? Where exactly are these dates coming from?
unobtainium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:35 PM   #37
TheralSadurns
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1dreams View Post
What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.
Actually... that is kinda ridiculous. Size is not THAT relevant unless your eyes are really bad. It all comes down to resolution.
And NO one needs a 14" notebook that has the same resolution as a 13.3" one.

Same goes for the iMac... what resolution would a 24" iMac have? 1080p?
Alrdy got that in the 21.5". So what would you get? More real estate? No. Better image/display quality? No. It would actually be worse.
AND you'd lose space on your desk.

A different size is meaningless if it doesn't bring any new utility to the table!
You may disagree with me... but I believe this to be (part of) Apple's reasoning.
TheralSadurns is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:36 PM   #38
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
With all due respect you are doing the same thing the person you quoted is.

Irony.
In what way? He says that he'll get gorilla arm from using a win8 laptop and I asked whether he has actually used a win8 laptop before... he stated something as fact and I asked a question regarding his statement.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:36 PM   #39
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

Amen. Ultrabooks? More like Ultra-boring.
Stridder44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:39 PM   #40
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:

So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?

Just curious...in your opinion, what exactly is the difference between using a touchscreen laptop and an iPad with a keyboard attachment?
NorEaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:45 PM   #41
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
This is better than "Samsung releases unprecedentedly designed TV".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorEaster View Post
So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?

Just curious...in your opinion, what exactly is the difference between using a touchscreen laptop and an iPad with a keyboard attachment?
I think you have just ignore the entire Macbook Pro line. They are laptops w/out touch screen.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:46 PM   #42
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Intel has previously said that power efficiency is one of its top priorities in chip design going forward.
It only took having their arses handed to them in the post-PC mobile chip market before Intel figured out they'd completely missed the boat. Oh, yeah, and they're also going to get around to decent graphics performance while they're at it. /sarcasm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:47 PM   #43
TheralSadurns
macrumors member

Quote:

I have to say... I used my iPad like that today. To take notes during a lecture using an Apple wireless keyboard to type faster.

Typing and all was really great. But having to touch the screen in this laptop-like configuration was not just awkward... it plain sucked!
Luckily with commands like CMD+B etc. I didn't have to touch the screen all that often!
When I did though... horrible horrible!
TheralSadurns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:48 PM   #44
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is now AndroidTrollingRumors, they just haven't gotten around to updating the URL.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:48 PM   #45
Krauser
macrumors regular

Quote:

Not that I don't agree with you, but implying that using an iPad's touchscreen when propped up with the keyboard dock is actually comfortable, let alone the ideal way to use a touchscreen (as many manufacturers who are putting touchscreens on laptops seem to be implying), can't be a legitimate statement.

I've used many a Windows 8 laptop with touch screens and I just prefer mousing through the silly tile interface so I can get to the desktop and do things the right way. It's counterproductive and annoying. Unless you're holding it like a tablet or laying the screen flat on the ground, floating your hand and arm just to use a touchscreen on a laptop that already has a keyboard is not only unintuitive, but incredibly gimmicky.

Just my $.02.
Krauser is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #46
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1020 View Post
Sounds good, but I don't like the sound of LATE 2013 or 2014
I wouldn't doubt that Apple has first dibs on those chips. So Macs might incorporate them a lot sooner.
jayducharme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:50 PM   #47
irDigital0l

Damn...wanted to get a MBA next year before college starts in the fall.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:53 PM   #48
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by saytheenay View Post
LATE 2013 or 2014? For Haswell? Not cool, so 9 months to a year? Ouch. Those defective retina mbp screens are starting to look like a better option than waiting--don't know if I can wait another year.

Waiting until June-July, ok, but until NEXT winter?
If you can wait, you do not need a new computer.

And btw, it is/was a well known fact, that mobile versions of Haswell appear in Late 2013/Early 2014. This has two reasons:
1. Lower demand on the market. More sales of ARM-based CPUs, means less Ivy Bridge/Haswell sales. And this number of ARM-processor sales is big, very big (Android devices, iOS devices & so on).
2. Intel releases better Ivy Bridge chips in 2013, and that creates a lower demand for Haswell chips.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:53 PM   #49
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Intel Demos Future Ultrabook Designs...
I doubt Intel knows anything about future ultrabook designs... because Apple wouldn't have told them
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #50
dylin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1dreams View Post
What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.
They probably didnt make a 24 inch iMac due to the fact that there isnt any really standard resolution that fits between 1920 by 1080, and 2560 by 1440. If there was they could have, but i still highly doubt they would have if there was a resolution that could fit there.

Edit:

TheralSadurns already commented on it.

Last edited by dylin; Jan 7, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: To add that someone already answered the question.
dylin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion