Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
PHD_2761%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I am aiming to sculpt my own light more now and my photo of the day are my new toys that I picked up for an absolute steal. Next goal is to sell my 600d and 17-55mm + 11-16mm and go FF!

So you gonna pick up a 6D (I've been following your other thread).
I'm still a beginner (just started with the T3i about 2 months ago), but also considering a move to FF and the 6D. Would be very curious as to your impressions.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
DirtySocks85, what sort of cat is Lucas? He has the most amazing markings.

Lucas is a Serval (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval) who lives at the zoo where my wife works as Education Curator. I shot this yesterday when one of the zookeepers took him for an enrichment walk into the gift shop.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
A while back someone here said how they try something new every week in their photography. I must admit it takes a little longer than that for me. :eek:

Here's the result of some PP in PS, one of the kids wanted me to make one of our dogs look like the headliner from a music festival. So I found a tutorial and here's the end result.

IMG_2930.1.LG.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
So you gonna pick up a 6D (I've been following your other thread).
I'm still a beginner (just started with the T3i about 2 months ago), but also considering a move to FF and the 6D. Would be very curious as to your impressions.

Have to be careful with my words but I didn't realise how "cheap" the 6D was in relation to the 5diii. I always thought it was more. At the moment I am wondering whether I would want the autofocus from the 5diii too much and therefore would have to save a bit more.

I've been lucky in that I have a few jobs on the cards at the moment but, of course, if they fall through I'll start having to imagine the 600d as being the pinnacle of camera equipment!

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Have to be careful with my words but I didn't realise how "cheap" the 6D was in relation to the 5diii. I always thought it was more. At the moment I am wondering whether I would want the autofocus from the 5diii too much and therefore would have to save a bit more.

I've been lucky in that I have a few jobs on the cards at the moment but, of course, if they fall through I'll start having to imagine the 600d as being the pinnacle of camera equipment!

Given that I'm new to all this and the 600d is my first and only DSLR, I am convincing myself it is indeed the pinnacle...

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Given that I'm new to all this and the 600d is my first and only DSLR, I am convincing myself it is indeed the pinnacle...

If you are really thinking of upgrading already I would recommend holding off. Wait until you can really figure out the limitations of your current setup and you are shooting at them. I had a couple of friends that dropped a lot of money on a 5dii when I bought my 600d and still haven't mastered it. For one it's embarrassing when people ask them questions that they can't answer because they have pro equipment and two it hasn't forced them to change the way they shoot. I.e. work around limitations that the camera has. They also sort of shot themselves in the feet as I have the option to upgrade to a 5diii which a lot would argue is a far superior camera whilst they are stuck on the 5dii.

Hope that makes sense!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
This is more deliberate nice light. It was near sunset when I saw these birds on the tree of life at Animal Kingdom, and the tree made a nice background in that light.

I absolutely love this picture! I've worked at Disney World for 15 years and it's always a treat to see these things through the eyes of park guests (assuming you're not a CM). I never pay attention to all the detail that surrounds me at work so sometimes I wonder if I just take it for granted.

And speaking of the Tree of Life... here's one I took on Christmas Day:

dsc1973o.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
8359095151_c3925426d1_c.jpg

Another location I've been thinking about shooting but never got around to it until this weekend.

[Yes, the same dust spot is present on the lens from the image of the power plant. If I ever decide to print these, I'll remove it :) ]

Debated against a higher contrast harsher treatment more similar to Tri-X

8359133267_e2a9592330.jpg

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Lucas is a Serval (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval) who lives at the zoo where my wife works as Education Curator. I shot this yesterday when one of the zookeepers took him for an enrichment walk into the gift shop.

Beautiful shot and a lovely animal - although I doubt I'd be getting too close to him!

I took this photo yesterday:

I was trying for some silhouette type shots against the sunset, but I arrived just a little bit too late for that and everything pretty much either took off slowly (below the sun glow) or very quickly (way above where I needed it to be) so none of them really worked out. But I did like the soft light on this shot taken just after the sun had dropped below the horizon.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Beautiful shot and a lovely animal - although I doubt I'd be getting too close to him!

Haha. Nah, he's pretty friendly. The zookeeper that had him out on a walk is regularly working with him and training him so that he's good with people. He's even okay w/ kids petting him when the zookeepers take him around the zoo.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Salacious, when I saw the thumbnail for this I thought I understood your shot because of the businessman sitting in the left foreground. Then I viewed the enlargement and got confused, the only people in focus are way back on the right and one of them is with her back to us.

Who is the businessman? :confused:

I will point out that I don't have a degree in fine arts or analysing photo's, so I could well have missed the point. ;)

Lol it's ok it's about the man sitting on the bench, however the intent of the pic was just to take a pic of the station, then when I got home and edited the pic I noticed the man on the bench just sitting there while everyone else was standing looking busy etc, for me it was like everyone else has to work hard with no time to relax while the business man just sits and does nothing, my intention wasn't to get anyone in focus just the station name.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Lol it's ok it's about the man sitting on the bench, however the intent of the pic was just to take a pic of the station, then when I got home and edited the pic I noticed the man on the bench just sitting there while everyone else was standing looking busy etc, for me it was like everyone else has to work hard with no time to relax while the business man just sits and does nothing, my intention wasn't to get anyone in focus just the station name.

Truth be known, he's probably retrenched like a lot of others and is hiding from his wife out of shame there all day! :eek:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008

If you're doing studio work, the 6D autofocus is probably plenty for your needs. You're not trying to track objects in motion in a studio. I think it would make a good first step into full frame, and later it'll be a nice backup camera should you decide to get a 5Diii.

I absolutely love this picture! I've worked at Disney World for 15 years and it's always a treat to see these things through the eyes of park guests (assuming you're not a CM). I never pay attention to all the detail that surrounds me at work so sometimes I wonder if I just take it for granted.

I bet you do get adjusted to seeing it every day, and it becomes normal for you. I'm not a CM but a guest who hadn't been to Disney since 1984. A lot has changed, and I loved every minute of it. I was at the Magic Kingdom on Christmas (and so were a whole lot of people, since I ended up parking at Epcot to avoid the parking rush at MK).

Here's a shot from the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom.

Disney%20AK%202012-298-XL.jpg

(Edit - changed which picture of the fire dude I shared because I liked this one better)

Last edited:

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Sandy

my 7 month setter is loving his first taste of snow:)

Attachments

• DSCN0063.JPG
    DSCN0063.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 122

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
If you're doing studio work, the 6D autofocus is probably plenty for your needs. You're not trying to track objects in motion in a studio. I think it would make a good first step into full frame, and later it'll be a nice backup camera should you decide to get a 5Diii.

It would but I have just seen that the sync speed is 1/180th. Whilst it's not end of the world it's not always great spending more money and getting a worse sync speed than the 600d.

I think I really need to get my hands on the 5diii and the 6D and see which one really works for me. That and make sure I get these jobs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.