Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Do not sign up for straight talk service with a locked iphone, despite information to the contrary from the ST website. Maybe this is a change with iOS 6 but I have been unable to get anything other than voice on my locked AT&T iphone with iOS 6.0.1. After trying various strategies suggested on line (including SIM switch) I worked with ST customer service on line for a day, then called the Miami office number. That person stated unequivocably that ST will not work (other than voice) with a locked iphone.

sabika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
I don't care about MMS so am not interested in tweaking for that service, but it is not possible to get data service on my phone at least. This includes SIM card switch and downloading the APN profile from iapnupdate.straighttalk.com.

If you have a secret, please share!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't care about MMS so am not interested in tweaking for that service, but it is not possible to get data service on my phone at least. This includes SIM card switch and downloading the APN profile from iapnupdate.straighttalk.com.

If you have a secret, please share!

go to unlockit.co.nz on your iphone in safari and select the straight talk apn

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
It should work. What happens when you go to unlockit.nz and get the StraightTalk APN? That is all I had to do. Locked iPhone here...

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
By all means if it makes you feel better go pay 4 bucks on ebay to have it unlocked

jdlorinser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
The foolproof way by the1law:

First off, remove the the unlockit.co.nz APN from the iphone. If you didn't download an APN then skip this step. If you don't remove it will screw it all up every time you try to change the APN settings. I forgot where it is but it's somewhere in settings, general... maybe under Cellular. It will say delete APN in red. Or you can reset the network settings to factory. Settings, general, reset, reset network settings. I would advise to do both.

1. Double click on the home button and close every single app.

2. Open the Notes app

3. Go to Settings > General

4. Insert the T-Mobile SIM (can be brand new/unactivated OR an old one that has had service) will bring up the Cellular option

5. Go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings. Reset the network.

6. Go into Settings > General > Cellular > Cellular Data Network when it shows up

7. Immediately take out the T-Mobile SIM and put the Straight Talk SIM back in while in the Cellular Data Network tab

8. Multitask between Cellular Data Network and the Notes app back and forth until the default non-working data & MMS APN are automatically entered. It is important to wait until the default APN settings show up

For those of you who don't know, click the home button twice to multitask between the two.

9. Once the APNs do show up, edit them manually

Cellular Data

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMS

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

10. Go toggle Airplane Mode on and off, and then turn your iphone off and then back on

After Step 10, check that your data & mms ARE working. Then turn off your phone one more time and then back on again. Check data & mms again. Data should work but mms might not. If it doesn't, try this; go into Settings > Cellular > then toggle Cellular Data off and back on and everything should be working.

If it's not working for you, reset the network settings and try again.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Considering doing this tomorrow. Does this work with an locked AT&T iPhone 5 as well?

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i just got my straight talk sim, i activated it with 45 $ monthly unlimited everything. and it really is unlimited for me, most people get throttled at 2gigs a month but i dont because i had this proxy ;] anyway once you get your sim cut it down with a nano sim cutter off amazon for 5 bucks. then either do the unlockit.co.nz crap or if u want MMS

unlock phone with ebay code or atnt store

then enter t mobile sim off their site its 99 cents at the moment and follow the steps posted above. do not tell anyone that straight talk is not working with iphone 5. it is and here in jersey im getting 4mbs down almost anywhere and even 2 mb in my basement. loads pages instatly and can even install apps within 20 seconds. so dont spread lies you little mis informed guy

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, but you will need to cut down your StraightTalk microsim in order for it to fit, since Apple uses a new nano-sized SIM for iP5.

How to link here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-convert-micro-sim-to-nano-sim-for-iphone-5/ also there are several YouTube videos that show this being done.

Thanks! So, I need to order the $15 MicroSIM from ST off their website, then go to Walmart and get one of those $45 cards? I hope this works!

----------

i just got my straight talk sim, i activated it with 45 $ monthly unlimited everything. and it really is unlimited for me, most people get throttled at 2gigs a month but i dont because i had this proxy ;] anyway once you get your sim cut it down with a nano sim cutter off amazon for 5 bucks. then either do the unlockit.co.nz crap or if u want MMS

unlock phone with ebay code or atnt store

then enter t mobile sim off their site its 99 cents at the moment and follow the steps posted above. do not tell anyone that straight talk is not working with iphone 5. it is and here in jersey im getting 4mbs down almost anywhere and even 2 mb in my basement. loads pages instatly and can even install apps within 20 seconds. so dont spread lies you little mis informed guy

Nice! I'm assuming you had a locked AT&T iPhone before hand? This is going to save me $150 a month!

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
FWIW, I have an unlocked AT&T iP5 with Net10, and both MMS and Facetime over cellular work.

First I cut my Net10 sim to fit, and activated it. After that, here's what I did.

I unlocked the iPhone by chatting online with a AT&T CS rep, which took all of 5 minutes, then backed up and restored in iTunes. After getting the "congratulations" screen, I unplugged it, and set it up as a new iPhone. I then attached it to my wifi network, pointed Safari to iapnupdate.net10.com, and installed the APN profile from there. Next I added my new Net10 phone number to my Apple ID account, and configured Messages and Facetime to use it under Settings. That's it.

I don't know if those steps are exactly what you have to do, but it's what I did and they are working.

sabika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
So I got the phone unlocked, did a restore, got the you are unlocked message, then installed the apn and..... everything worked! Even MMS!

Then, the next day, I stupidly turned imessage off in settings, in response to a notification below the on/off toggle. After that, no data, SMS, MMS, (after turning imessage back on). I've done a couple more restores, tried various APNs, went into ibackupbot and checked to see that the settings were correct (listing att.mvno). Did a restore on another computer, got the unlocked message again, but still could not get data.

Waited an hour on hold with ST customer support before giving up.

So, maybe this is not meant to be, but I'd welcome any ideas.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Thanks! So, I need to order the $15 MicroSIM from ST off their website, then go to Walmart and get one of those $45 cards? I hope this works!

----------

Nice! I'm assuming you had a locked AT&T iPhone before hand? This is going to save me $150 a month!

you can buy plans off the site too

@sabika, how did you get mms to work soley from apn settings? I know it will work with imessage people when on wifi but not on cell or with other nonimessage people

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I ordered my ST microsim. It should be here this week. I'll update when I receive it and try it on my locked AT&T iPhone 5.

turkeyhntr22

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I am so confued right now. I've been lurking around the sites and reading the pro's and con's of this switch. I'm right on the edge of doing it, but still a little hesitant. So, yall please help me with this.

1) Can Straight Talk be used with a locked iPhone 4 running the 6.0.1 firmware?
2) If I purchase the Straight Talk sim card, am I still going to be able to use MMS?
3) Is the T-Mobile sim card switch required or is there an easier method?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
I am so confued right now. I've been lurking around the sites and reading the pro's and con's of this switch. I'm right on the edge of doing it, but still a little hesitant. So, yall please help me with this.

2) If I purchase the Straight Talk sim card, am I still going to be able to use MMS?

1) yes
2) not out of the box. Have to do some tinkering such as jailbreak or the non jailbreak method as sabika described
3) I assume you mean to edit mms settings....It used to work for the 4s. Never the 4. Not sure if iOS 6 broke the ability

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

1 yes
2 yes
3 with a locked AT&T iPhone you won't be able to do the Tmobile sim switch.

sabika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
All I can say is that I spent days trying to get data service on a locked iphone 4S running 6.0.1. without success. The instructions to install an APN are pretty idiot proof so I don't think I could have screwed up that approach. I did not try a SIM switch with T mobile, but did try with the Verizon sim from my ipad. I'm not sure how much experience there is with locked phones running 6.0.1.

After an unlock, I had initial success but now back to square one.

So I think you're taking a chance and you could be paying $60 for a month of voice only service and a SIM card.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You're literally one of the only users on the internet I have seen with this problem. I am running 6.0.1. as well FWIW.

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
This thread should be edited so it doesn't confuse people. I successfully activated straight talk on a friend's AT&T locked iPhone 4S 6.0.1 the same day this thread was made.

Some advice I gained from research:
If you edited the APN using unlockit, make sure you reset to its factory setting.

Turn off automatic carrier setting to give you more time between SIM card swaps.

Doesn't have to be t-mobile sim, I used a spare sprint 4s sim.

Make sure you give it some time when you pop in the straighttalk sim at the APN settings screen. Let it load "phone" before you begin (this took almost a full minute for me).

I hope this helps with any confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.