Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
So I placed a order for a 21inch i7 with a 1TB and 4GB of ram and was surprised when it arrived with a 2TB HD and 8GB of ram.

Is it normal for Apple to send out better machines then what you order? This is my first refurb.

Shame it didn't include a SSD....

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Just curious how often does this happen?

Seems like a good reason to purchase a refurb especially if you like gambling.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Yea the only other anomaly was the power header on the MB for the SSD was missing - just the pins. Fortunately my OWC power cable fit on the pins but it's not as secure as if it was an actual plug....

I wonder if I could take it to a Apple Store and have them install the header on the MB/swap out the MB.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's possible refurbished stock may be oversold at times, and it isn't necessarily predictable. Many of them may simply be returns that have been checked. It's not surprising that they just guarantee certain minimum specs when you make the purchase. It's probably more cost effective for Apple than retrofitting each one to suit the exact needs of the order.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
Interesting thread. I'm ready to buy a 27" refurb and it's been a couple of weeks since I've seen any available. Anyone know if they are holding back while they ship new ones? Or hopefully they are busy repackaging new iMac's as refurbs? ;)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Interesting thread. I'm ready to buy a 27" refurb and it's been a couple of weeks since I've seen any available. Anyone know if they are holding back while they ship new ones? Or hopefully they are busy repackaging new iMac's as refurbs? ;)

They go in and out of stock quite frequently. Check once or twice a day and you should be able to snag one.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I wonder if it'll be a problem when you take it in for a repair / return and the specs dont match up?

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
No, it won´t be a problem in case of repair - just make sure its correct on your invoice - specs are listed there. It happens sometimes, as they don´t want to offer 20 different versions of the same machine in the refurb section - it confuses people.

killercolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
So I placed a order for a 21inch i7 with a 1TB and 4GB of ram and was surprised when it arrived with a 2TB HD and 8GB of ram.

Is it normal for Apple to send out better machines then what you order? This is my first refurb.

Shame it didn't include a SSD....

The exact same happened to me. Got the exact same build. It appeared to have a few dead pixels near the bottom of the screen, but they all seem to have come back to life over the last week. Perhaps it was the gentle massage they received as I obsessively wiped it clean every time I sat down at it. Yes, I would have been happy to receive the SSD as well.

With all the posts regarding potential issues with the latest models, from yellow tints to excessive noise, I am glad I went refurb. My daughter has enjoyed a few DVD movies even, which would have cost me extra with the newer model.

Cheers!
kc

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
And of course now it won't turn on.

Back to Apple it goes. Hope they don't knock me for having installed a SSD...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.