Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirempe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I am new to iMovie '09, and while I have searched many forums, I find bits and pieces of the information I need, but I haven't found a comprehensive step-by-step.

I am hoping someone here will have the patience to answer my multi-part question :eek:

I have many events in iMovie.
I have many more project clips - I just split the events into smaller clips and trim them here - nothing artistic.
Next, I export to Quicktime as .mov via "share"
Finally, I upload to youtube via iMovie "share"

I was ready to burn to DVDs, via iDVD or Toast Basic, and delete everything from my HDD (I'm running out of space!) when I read that if I delete the files in iMovie, the links will be broken, I won't be able to play the DVDs, and the youtube videos will disappear!

Can someone please explain the following processes to me? :confused:

How do I take my iMovie files, burn them in the highest quality to DVDs that can be played on computers and DVD players, upload the videos to youtube, and delete everything from my HDD without worrying about losing everything?

How should I handle this process in the future?
I plan to import videos from my camera as well as from old DVDs and upload them to youtube, but I can't leave any of it on my HDD.

I welcome any help you are willing to give :D

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Firstly, I would recommend an external drive to do your video importing and editing with. The editing process results in constant reading and writing to the disc, and using an external drive will prevent excess wear and tear on your Mac's internal drive and leave you more space and not have to worry about having stuff on your Mac.

when I read that if I delete the files in iMovie, the links will be broken, I won't be able to play the DVDs, and the youtube videos will disappear!
It won't affect the playing of dvds, but I think it may delete the videos from YouTube. You could get around that by using the Export Movie option in iMovie, and then upload the video to YouTube via the website.

For burning dvds, just use the Share to iDVD option. The best resolution that you will get for a dvd will be 720x576(or 480).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

If you want HD dvds, you will have to use Toast and an external HD/BluRay burner.

mirempe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
So, If I "export" I'm OK?

Thank you for responding!

So, if I use "Export as Quicktime Movie" it is actually exporting as a self-contained video?

I have read a number of forums which mention I must do something so the video can "stand alone".

Should I send the video to youtube from Quicktime or from iMovie if I don't want file link references?

The same has been said of burning DVDs...the DVD looks for information on my HDD and will not be able to play without it.

Will importing and burning through iDVD instead of iMovie prevent these issues?

Thank You!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
So, if I use "Export as Quicktime Movie" it is actually exporting as a self-contained video?
Yes.

I have read a number of forums which mention I must do something so the video can "stand alone".
A Quicktime movie will be a "stand alone" movie.

Should I send the video to youtube from Quicktime or from iMovie if I don't want file link references?
From Quicktime, but you don't send it to YouTube from Quicktime. You Export from iMovie which puts a movie file into Finder(I Export to the Desktop). You then upload the movie from there using the YouTube webpage.

The same has been said of burning DVDs...the DVD looks for information on my HDD and will not be able to play without it.
That's untrue. If you produce a video dvd, everything is on the dvd. How could you play it in a dvd player if it needed information on your computer?

Will importing and burning through iDVD instead of iMovie prevent these issues?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. You make your movie in iMovie and then Share to iDVD to end up with a video dvd.

mirempe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thank you, dave!

Thanks for the response...

it seems like I have been doing it correctly all along! :

You have saved me a lot of time, Dave!

I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.