Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Hire someone from John Lewis rather than PC World

This time from Maplin :D

----------

I remember over 20 years ago going into Dixon's to find out about stuff which as a teenager, I new more about than the staff did! ... DISAPPOINTING....

Nowadays, they have "geniuses" with Google, Intel t-shirts. Even, more stupid, one of them was so funny. He couldn't tell Galaxy note cover has camera cut, he was saying customers they have to remove the cover to use it's camera, unless I pointed out. Awesome

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
lol you bought Disney stuff for your kids and were surprised it was in crappy packaging. I see you've failed to notice that what was inside was undoubtedly crap too. shocker

Lol, as if I had a choice :) actually it was the girlfriend who bought a Brave (I think) doll for our kids birthday. The doll itself is quite nice, & the box looks quite nice, but when you open the box, you're faced with a tangled mass of wire fasteners held down with Sellotape. It was pretty ugly & our kids couldn't make any headway with it. Compare that with the unboxing experience when opening an Apple box, even the cheaper items.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Not Again!

Let us all hope that Tim will not be the decider this time around.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
While a good point, IMO we need to evaluate Tim during two periods.

1st: The 365 days after Steve resigned while Tim became CEO.

2nd: The period following this through today.

Tim is humane like the rest of us. None of us actually know the language in the succession plan. As far as I'm concerned Tim has been the CEO since the 1yr anniversary of Steve's death. I like what I see. :apple:

You completely missed my point. I've no issues with Tim's guidance and leadership of Apple thus far. My comment was aimed more at the somewhat arrogant Americans who borderline mocked and ridiculed the Brits who came here warning of Browett and the PC World/Currys brand he led beforehand.

When you have a large amount of British members on a mainly US centric forum, it would be wise to listen to them when they air such negative views on a story, especially when it was every single Brit who posted a negative story about him. That, in itself, should tell you it's more than people who think too much of their own opinion and more that there's something genuine there.

Browett was always going to be a flop. His emphasis was always on profit via extended warranties and add on sales and less on customer service. Apple have always believed that give good customer service and the good word of mouth will bring in more people leading to more sales and thus greater profits. Dixons and PC World were/are utterly horrid stores, and when I was a student many years ago I was horrified at the sales tactics I was asked to show when I went for an interview with PC World. I declined the job, because I refused to sell DVD enabled (big at that time) computers to pensioners who wanted a basic word processing machine.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Oh he is, is he. Did he tell you that over the weekend when the two of you were playing golf

Or are you presuming to speak for someone else based in some notion that if you were him that is how you would feel so it must be how he would also.

It was my opinion. LOL, Xanax 1mg 1 PO QID should help. ;)

----------

You completely missed my point. I've no issues with Tim's guidance and leadership of Apple thus far. My comment was aimed more at the somewhat arrogant Americans who borderline mocked and ridiculed the Brits who came here warning of Browett and the PC World/Currys brand he led beforehand.

When you have a large amount of British members on a mainly US centric forum, it would be wise to listen to them when they air such negative views on a story, especially when it was every single Brit who posted a negative story about him. That, in itself, should tell you it's more than people who think too much of their own opinion and more that there's something genuine there.

Browett was always going to be a flop. His emphasis was always on profit via extended warranties and add on sales and less on customer service. Apple have always believed that give good customer service and the good word of mouth will bring in more people leading to more sales and thus greater profits. Dixons and PC World were/are utterly horrid stores, and when I was a student many years ago I was horrified at the sales tactics I was asked to show when I went for an interview with PC World. I declined the job, because I refused to sell DVD enabled (big at that time) computers to pensioners who wanted a basic word processing machine.

Ok, definitely have it now. Wow. :eek:

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Yeah... Apple should replace Tim Cook, because he has done such an awful job. Really? :p

I'm not saying he should be fired but perhaps Apple should find a more charismatic person for its front-man preferably with a "built-in" RDF.

...but at least it was a decision that was corrected.

This sounds like something G W Bush would say AFTER the WMD fiasco...

Well from everything we know security & secrecy at Apple headquarters is bigger than ever. Not sure how Cook prevents leaks in the supply chain at this point.

I only go by what's been published on MR and other News/Rumour sites.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
This sounds like something G W Bush would say AFTER the WMD fiasco...

All CEOs have to make corections and course changes. Apple has made plenty of blunders over the years. My point is that at least Cook publicly acknowledged the Maps screw up and took some steps to correct its flaws. Time will tell if the decisions he made (and will make) are successful.

BTW... Why bring politics into this? You surely know that by doing so will likely take this discussion in a completely new direction with plenty of negative comments on both side! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.