Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:25 AM   #26
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Hence the reason we refer to it as Stupidville.
This.

As much as I mocked my hometown of Zanesville, at least it's not Stupidville (or Chillicothe).
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:43 PM   #27
quagmire
macrumors 603

Some progress being made. Kent State is reviewing the scholarship of one of the people involved.

Ohio State has revoked another persons scholarship.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...ty-host/60656/
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:58 AM   #28
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Some progress being made. Kent State is reviewing the scholarship of one of the people involved.

Ohio State has revoked another persons scholarship.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...ty-host/60656/

I hear Penn State has some available scholarships.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:38 AM   #29
quagmire
macrumors 603

Judge ruled they were guilty
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Good.

A shame they'll be serving their sentence in a juvenile facility.

I also wish they would go after the guys who recorded the crime, and then spread pictures and videos of it all over the net. It needs to be shown that what they did is not ok as well.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:02 AM   #31
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Seems to me that if a person doesn't know what they did was wrong by the age of 16, it seems unlikely they will ever learn. They should serve the remainder of a full sentence once they become adults.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 AM   #32
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Seems to me that if a person doesn't know what they did was wrong by the age of 16, it seems unlikely they will ever learn. They should serve the remainder of a full sentence once they become adults.
I agree.

It seems like in this situation (I'm not sure, but just assuming from everything I've read), that they can only be held until they are 21. Which is basically a 4 and 5 year sentence for them. If it's going to be that short, I'd happily stick them in an adult prison.

I also wonder if once they are released they'll have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. I know in some juvenile cases that isn't always a must.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:05 AM   #33
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
The story is updated saying one got 1 year in jail, the other two years......

Our wonderful justice system......
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:10 PM   #34
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Seems to me that if a person doesn't know what they did was wrong by the age of 16, it seems unlikely they will ever learn.
We don't stop learning at 16.

citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:29 PM   #35
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Seems to me that if a person doesn't know what they did was wrong by the age of 16, it seems unlikely they will ever learn.
Without reference to this particular case, in general I have to disagree with you. They may "know right from wrong", but, that can occupy an awfully limited part of the prefrontal cortex at age 16.

I have seen many examples of perspectives which changed dramatically between age 16 and 21, and further still by age 25. Not to be sexist, but, I'm mostly talking about boys, who can be very thick-headed at age 16. In all seriousness, if you lock away forever every teenage boy who ever commits a serious offense, you are looking at 15% or so of the male population.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:03 PM   #36
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The story is updated saying one got 1 year in jail, the other two years......

Our wonderful justice system......
"Minimum" 2 years and "minimum" one year being the key word.

I somewhat doubt they'll be held until 21 as well, but it's worth noting the minimum aspect.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #37
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
"Minimum" 2 years and "minimum" one year being the key word.
"Juvenile" being the other key word.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:53 AM   #38
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
We don't stop learning at 16.

Of course not, but it is a matter of degree. In many cultures individuals who are 16 are considered sufficiently mature to be held accountable for their actions. I worry that much of our justice system is predicated on historically aberrant Victorian ideas about the innocence of childhood. I guess we'll see if these guys re-offend in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Without reference to this particular case, in general I have to disagree with you. They may "know right from wrong", but, that can occupy an awfully limited part of the prefrontal cortex at age 16.

I have seen many examples of perspectives which changed dramatically between age 16 and 21, and further still by age 25. Not to be sexist, but, I'm mostly talking about boys, who can be very thick-headed at age 16. In all seriousness, if you lock away forever every teenage boy who ever commits a serious offense, you are looking at 15% or so of the male population.
We're not talking petty theft here. We're talking about a crime against a person. In my mind, this speaks volumes about how these young males view other people, and I doubt that will change. Like I said above, I guess we'll see if they commit more offenses. In any case, I pity the girl who will have to witness these guys getting out of prison after a token sentence.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:42 AM   #39
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Luckily they will not just be serving time, they will be receiving the psychological treatment that they so desperately need.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:47 AM   #40
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Of course not, but it is a matter of degree. In many cultures individuals who are 16 are considered sufficiently mature to be held accountable for their actions.
14 seems to be the traditional age generally. I am willing to go with 14. They should be held accountable.

Quote:

I worry that much of our justice system is predicated on historically aberrant Victorian ideas about the innocence of childhood. I guess we'll see if these guys re-offend in a few years.
Don't get me wrong. I don't consider them "innocent". But, I do consider the Victorians right about quite a few things. For example, that we are not so far removed from the Chimpanzees and Bonobos as we might like to imagine. That society needs to give people rewards and punishments to guide them to be more "civilized". Civilization is a pretty thin veneer on all of us. It takes a lot of civilizing to make us behave. I think it is unscientific to consider violent behavior "unnatural". It is, sadly, natural, and it takes a lot of effort to train it out of people. Does that make me Victorian, too? Maybe.

Quote:

We're not talking petty theft here. We're talking about a crime against a person. In my mind, this speaks volumes about how these young males view other people, and I doubt that will change. Like I said above, I guess we'll see if they commit more offenses. In any case, I pity the girl who will have to witness these guys getting out of prison after a token sentence.
Unfortunately, as the earlier part of these threads showed, standards of behavior in Steubenville seem to be low. And, people are trying to change that. The sad fact is that apparently a lot of people in Steubenville thought this was "normal" behavior, hence a lot of the comments in the thread. It takes work to change these attitudes.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:27 PM   #41
quagmire
macrumors 603

Two Teenage girls arrested after threatening victim
Penn Station-New York
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:31 PM   #42
Huntn
macrumors 604

I think as a defendant if you've sexually taken advantage of an unconscious individual, whether they might have given consent if they had had the opportunity, that is beside the point and you are in trouble.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:44 PM   #43
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

I'm going to play devils advocate

I read that the Parent of the victim said to the boys "you are the accuser through social media" .. whatever the hell that means

But I blame her... what the hell is wrong with her that she could not keep tabs on her 16 year old girl.. like really, I'm sorry, I'll beat the **** outta my kids if they even gonna think about being in that type of environment and putting themselves at risk. The mother should be ashamed of herself... I have very little sympathy for the victim.. she should blame her mother

Raise your kids people.. beat the **** outta them if necessary and you'll prevent crap like this happening to them

Can't believe tax dollars was wasted on a investigation when the only problem I see was that their parents didn't know where the hell their kids were that night! this goes for the boys parents also

Last edited by Muscle Master; Mar 18, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Muscle Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:49 PM   #44
quagmire
macrumors 603

So you blame the victim because the mother wasn't being overprotective?

What about the parents of the rapists? They raised rapists.... Yet you blame the victim and her mother....
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:58 PM   #45
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I read that the Parent of the victim said to the boys "you are the accuser through social media" .. whatever the hell that means
It's just a guess, but I think it's a clumsy way of saying to the boys, "you incriminated yourselves through social media."

As for your devil's advocacy ... I do hope you find parenthood fulfilling.

Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #46
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So you blame the victim because the mother wasn't being overprotective?

What about the parents of the rapists? They raised rapists.... Yet you blame the victim and her mother....
I'm not saying the idiots are not guilty.. but they aren't the only idiots here both parties parents are to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
It's just a guess, but I think it's a clumsy way of saying to the boys, "you incriminated yourselves through social media."

As for your devil's advocacy ... I do hope you find parenthood fulfilling.

And there's a difference between being overprotective and not knowing where your "16" year old is... that is a very big problem
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:03 PM   #47
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not saying the idiots are not guilty.. but they aren't the only idiots here

And there's a difference between being overprotective and not knowing where your "16" year old is... that is a very big problem
What would knowing her daughter was at a party done? You're not going to allow your kids to go to parties?

" Yeah mom, I'm going to a party that has rapists! Be back at midnight!"

Penn Station-New York
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:05 PM   #48
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm sure you'll have that all figured out.

citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:06 PM   #49
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm going to play devils advocate

But I blame her... what the hell is wrong with her that she could not keep tabs on her 16 year old girl.. like really, I'm sorry, I'll beat the **** outta my kids if they even gonna think about being in that type of environment and putting themselves at risk. The mother should be ashamed of herself... I have very little sympathy for the victim.. she should blame her mother

Raise your kids people.. beat the **** outta them if necessary and you'll prevent crap like this happening to them

Can't believe tax dollars was wasted on a investigation when the only problem I see was that their parents didn't know where the hell their kids were that night! this goes for the boys parents also
This is the reason that a high percentage of women who are raped never go to the authorities.

Let's not blame the boys who thought it was ok to rape an unconscious woman and let's not blame the idiots who chose to take pictures and videotape it instead of stepping in and stopping it. Let's blame the victim. And her mother.

Moyank24 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:06 PM   #50
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What would knowing her daughter was at a party done? You're not going to trust your kids to go to parties?
Fixed that for you

To answer your question... This day in age, I would trust but verify what party she is going to, what adults would be there to supervise, make sure my child isn't freely exposed to alcohol and give her say an 11:30 curfew.. that seems to be a proper curfew for a "16 year old girl". knowing me I would pick her up from the party at midnight instead of her taking the bus home at all times of the night

Last edited by Muscle Master; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Muscle Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues