Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #26
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
I cant seem to find anything online about a legal fund. I'd pay good money to see this piece of human garbage hang.
I wouldn't. Capital punishment is barbaric and degrades those who practise it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Violence is fine, capital punishment is fine, as long as it's punishment for a crime that personally affronts you.
Capital punishment is a frequent outcome in a civil lawsuit. That's why we all watch Judge Judy, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I wouldn't. Capital punishment is barbaric and degrades those who practise it.
I certainly did not mean that literally, given both the nature of the lawsuit and also that (thankfully) one can not pay to see an execution.

Last edited by Iscariot; Jan 6, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Iscariot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:30 AM   #28
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
I certainly did not mean that literally, given both the nature of the lawsuit and also that (thankfully) one can not pay to see an execution.
I note that you do not actually disagree with the notion of capital punishment per se, then.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:35 PM   #29
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:48 AM   #30
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
With the the notion, no, how could anyone in light of for example what happened to that poor girl in India. I have misgivings about it though because:

A: Any evidence can be tampered with and I am on the side of the argument that just one wrongful execution invalidates all the ones that were "just".

B: In all countries/states where capital punishment is still in effect, the bar of the type of crime and type of evidence is way to low/arbitrary.

C: It's ineffective as it is anything but swift due to the lengthy appeals process and thus costs sometimes more than life sentence without parole

D: I have problems with government having the power to take a citizen's life as a punishment.
With all those misgivings, how can you not be against it?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:12 AM   #31
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
With the the notion, no, how could anyone in light of for example what happened to that poor girl in India. I have misgivings about it though because:

A: Any evidence can be tampered with and I am on the side of the argument that just one wrongful execution invalidates all the ones that were "just".

B: In all countries/states where capital punishment is still in effect, the bar of the type of crime and type of evidence is way to low/arbitrary.

C: It's ineffective as it is anything but swift due to the lengthy appeals process and thus costs sometimes more than life sentence without parole

D: I have problems with government having the power to take a citizen's life as a punishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
With all those misgivings, how can you not be against it?
You guys want to get back on topic? Thanks.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues