Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
OK, let´s revisit this thread in january 2014! Let´s hear your predictions for 2013.

I´ll go first:

New product:
iTV - UltraHD 3860x1920 (4K), High fidelity audio, excellent speakers surround sound, 3D No glasses?, Transparent? Ultra thin, IGZO display and made in beautiful Liquid metal. Controlled by iPhone,iPad or iPod and SIRI. Lets you subscribe to individual TV Channels, every show stored in iCloud as well as your channels subscriptions. Also possible to stream any of those TV channels to any IOS device. Stream 4K movies through iTunes. User based content configuration through biometric fingerprint. You press your finger on IOS7 device TV app, and it will display that users channels, shows, etc automatically.

iWatch (doubtful): Beautiful waterproof liquid metal design, Biometric authentication to iCloud and all other Apple services. SIRI+ control and features. Phone,Facetime,iMessage, etc. This will not be a gadget type of watch, but more a elegant stylish think Omega type watch.

IOS 7: A more redefined UI all over. Multi-user support. Biometric scanner support. Improved Maps & Siri.

OSX 10.9 now with biometric scanner. New major releases of iWork,iLife, Logic and Aperture.

iPad "5" now as thin as ipad mini using IGZO retina display - same battery time as current iPad. Faster processor. Biometric scanner for authentication. No more pin code. Different user finger equals different apps,music,photos,customization.

iPad Mini now with IGZO retina display, same battery & biometric scanner.

iPhone 5s same form factor but with IGZO display & biometric scanner.

Macbook Air now with retina display & biometric scanner. Slightly thinner due to IGZO display.

Mac Pro in a much smaller form factor, beautiful liquidmetal made case. Expansion through improved thunderbolt for additional GFX/Audio cards/disks.
Be sure to hook it up to your iTV for an awesome 4K display.

And last but not least, 2013 revenue will end up at $201b with EPS at $69.

That´s my prediction, and I look forward to re-reading it and laugh in 2014!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
OK, let´s revisit this thread in january 2014! Let´s hear your predictions for 2013.

I´ll go first:

New product:
iTV - UltraHD 3860x1920 (4K), High fidelity audio, excellent speakers surround sound, 3D No glasses?, Transparent? Ultra thin, IGZO display and made in beautiful Liquid metal. Controlled by iPhone,iPad or iPod and SIRI. Lets you subscribe to individual TV Channels, every show stored in iCloud as well as your channels subscriptions. Also possible to stream any of those TV channels to any IOS device. Stream 4K movies through iTunes. User based content configuration through biometric fingerprint. You press your finger on IOS7 device TV app, and it will display that users channels, shows, etc automatically.

iWatch (doubtful): Beautiful waterproof liquid metal design, Biometric authentication to iCloud and all other Apple services. SIRI+ control and features. Phone,Facetime,iMessage, etc. This will not be a gadget type of watch, but more a elegant stylish think Omega type watch.

IOS 7: A more redefined UI all over. Multi-user support. Biometric scanner support. Improved Maps & Siri.

OSX 10.9 now with biometric scanner. New major releases of iWork,iLife, Logic and Aperture.

iPad "5" now as thin as ipad mini using IGZO retina display - same battery time as current iPad. Faster processor. Biometric scanner for authentication. No more pin code. Different user finger equals different apps,music,photos,customization.

iPad Mini now with IGZO retina display, same battery & biometric scanner.

iPhone 5s same form factor but with IGZO display & biometric scanner.

Macbook Air now with retina display & biometric scanner. Slightly thinner due to IGZO display.

Mac Pro in a much smaller form factor, beautiful liquidmetal made case. Expansion through improved thunderbolt for additional GFX/Audio cards/disks.
Be sure to hook it up to your iTV for an awesome 4K display.

And last but not least, 2013 revenue will end up at $201b with EPS at $69.

That´s my prediction, and I look forward to re-reading it and laugh in 2014!

seems like you want everything equipped with Biometric scanners

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

Or maybe not? :)

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Most/all the product lines just get refreshes instead of redesigns, so everyone is grumpy.

Mac Pro gets a redesign, but people hate it. Apple removes the optical drive for lulz.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
MacPro gets discontinued. The move is justified by Apple management who will state that soon enough an iPad 7 will offer roughly the level level of performance as current MacPro.

I doubt that would happen. Professional users still need the power you get out of the Mac Pro. Until the iPad is able to run Final Cut Pro, Adobe CS6 and whatever other heavy software pros use then there is no chance of it being discontinued. Anyway isn't the MP due an update this year?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Apple March/April Keynote

Apple usually hold a product launch event around March/April. What do you think they'll release in March/April 2013?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Do you think apple will change around regular product launch months for everything in 2013 to be less predictable?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hardware

• MacBook Air (mid 2013): Spec update with Haswell processors
  • MacBook Pro (mid 2013): No more 'classic' MBP, retina line gets price drop and Haswell processors
  • iPad mini: Retina screen, A6, 1GB RAM. Same design, possibly slightly thicker.
  • iPad (5th generation): Radical new design, similar to iPad mini and iPhone 5. Better cameras, battery life.
  • Mac Pro: Totally redesigned. Stackable, smaller. Very powerful.
  • iPhone 5S: Same design as iPhone 5. NFC, better camera, A7 processor, Siri 1.0
  • iMac (late 2013): Slight spec upgrade late 2013.
  • Mac mini (late 2013): Slight spec upgrade late 2013.

Software

• iOS 7: Apps streamlined and slightly redisgned. No radical overhaul, though new functions added. Still no widgets, live icons,
  • OS X 10.9 Lynx: Apple Maps, Siri on newer Macs, other minor iOS features/tweaks. Same price as Mountain Lion, released during WWDC.
  • iWork/iLife: Dropping of '09 version numbers (if that hasn't alredy happened), updates released via Mac App Store. More templates, 64bit.
  • Pro apps: No major updates, small bug fixes/tweaks throughout the year.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Mac Pro: Totally redesigned. Stackable, smaller. Very powerful.

Wouldn't that just be an Xserve? While I'm all for a Mac Pro redesign, what would be the reason to make them stackable unless you were to use them as servers/storage? It would essentially be an Xserve.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

The Mac Pro is dead. As a longtime tower user, the rMBP finally got me out of that game. Apple surprised me with the rMBP- did not see that coming, brilliant machine. For most pro users, the rMBP killed the tower, and I'm OK with that.

I was about to walk away from Apple as a professional user. Well, as always, they had something up their sleeve. They always look to the future.

I used to be a desktop/laptop guy, now I get both in one computer. Bravo, Apple.

Last edited:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
The Mac Pro is dead. As a longtime tower user, the rMBP finally got me out of that game. Apple surprised me with the rMBP- did not see that coming, brilliant machine. For most pro users, the rMBP killed the tower, and I'm OK with that.

I was about to walk away from Apple as a professional user. Well, as always, they had something up their sleeve. They always look to the future.

I used to be a desktop/laptop guy, now I get both in one computer. Bravo, Apple.

I also enjoy my rMBP, which is more than powerful enough for my use. However, I don't know if the guys who do have media development work would also find the machine on par with a MacPro.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I also enjoy my rMBP, which is more than powerful enough for my use. However, I don't know if the guys who do have media development work would also find the machine on par with a MacPro.

Right now I've got 3 external hard drives daisy chained via TB on my cMBP sitting on a stand on my desk.

I would love to replace all that real estate and clutter for a tower sitting on the floor under my desk.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Right now I've got 3 external hard drives daisy chained via TB on my cMBP sitting on a stand on my desk.

I would love to replace all that real estate and clutter for a tower sitting on the floor under my desk.

I think IKEA sells small shelf-units that ride on casters and will easily fit under desks. It doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to put one HD on each shelf, and connect the TB cable to them while they sit under the desk.

My desk has a full-width shelf unit that sits about a foot below the main work surface. It's about a foot deep, and the back edge aligns with the back of the work surface, so it's not in the way of my lefs. I used to keep several SCSI disk drives there, but now it's so easy to get huge amounts of storage in much smaller spaces, that I only use that shelf to store infrequently used reference manuals. My feet aren't as warm, but the room is quieter.

A friend of mine keeps a PC tower cabinet with all his disks under his desk. Seems ordinary except it's just a tower cabinet with disks; there's no PC in it at all.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

I edit video and compared the rMBP to a Mac Pro with similar specs in store using the same video file. rMBP beat the pants off it. There was simply no comparison.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I edit video and compared the rMBP to a Mac Pro with similar specs in store using the same video file. rMBP beat the pants off it. There was simply no comparison.

But in reality, would you choose a real workstation to edit, render and whatnot day in day out, sometimes the whole night long, over a laptop? Can't really believe someone would take the laptop tbh.

Last edited:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
But in reality, would you choose a real workstation to edit, render and whatnot day in day out, sometimes the whole night long, over a laptop? Can't really believe someone would take the laptop tbh.

Depends on the setup. Let's face it- most companies are not going to set you up with a 12 core Mac Pro with 32 gigs of RAM (and I can't afford that either).

When I compared the two next to each other with similar specs, the rMBP won. You don't have to take my word for it. Go try it out.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
When I compared the two next to each other with similar specs, the rMBP won. You don't have to take my word for it. Go try it out.

Given the fact that the current setup is what, almost 4yo I don't question your experience at all - but am unsure what you mean with similar specs. 4-core and xGB of ram? Because about everything inside the rMBP is new technology compared to the MP.

I was just curious, since I had exactly the same thought as you, and will most likely get the next revision rMBP (and have a real good look at the MP section as well). But honestly, I'd be afraid of hardware failures due to heat dissipation doing heavy work on such a thin machine over a constant period of time. Especially if it would be the only machine I could work on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.