Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
I did a test for a week and left the wifi on and didn't noticed any difference in battery life. I think I'll just leave it from now. Also when I'm out and have crappy 3g connection from sprint it gives me a wifi network to choose from every time I open internet browser.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I leave the wifi on my 4S on all of the time. I haven't really noticed a difference in my battery life either.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I've tested with this a bit and leaving wifi on all the time never really seemed to effect my battery life. It's nice being able to leave it on and have it pick up and connect to saved networks on it's own without having to go into settings and enable/disable it all the time...especially handy when you are on a limited data plan and you're bouncing around between places where you have saved networks. :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I used to turn it on and off on my iPhone 3G and I did notice a difference back then. But since the 4 came out out I can't see a difference anymore.

Either batteries got better, the wifi chip uses less power, or the software regulates the wifi chip better now. I dunno why, but I do just tell everyone to leave it on these days.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Be careful. Leaving wifi on constantly leads to excessive heat. Eventually it gets so hot, the chipset gets burnt and wifi doesn't work. This eventually leads to no cell signal because they use the same antenna.

genius told me this :)

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Be careful. Leaving wifi on constantly leads to excessive heat. Eventually it gets so hot, the chipset gets burnt and wifi doesn't work. This eventually leads to no cell signal because they use the same antenna.

:rolleyes:

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012

Lol that made me chuckle! :)

All of the iPhones I have had, I always leave WiFi on.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've kept WiFi on 24/7 on every iOS device I've owned since the original iPhone, with no issues. The only time I've really turned it off is when I'm traveling and know that I won't be on WiFi for a few days.

Completely false, every word of it. Even down to them using the same antenna.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have always left on wifi with every single iPhone I owned. I never encountered any issues in loss of battery or the phone "heating up."

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I've never turned wifi off on any phone. Sounds just as nutty as turning the phone off if you aren't using it?? If you can't leave everything on then you need another phone or better cell phone service. :(

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I did a test for a week and left the wifi on and didn't noticed any difference in battery life. I think I'll just leave it from now. Also when I'm out and have crappy 3g connection from sprint it gives me a wifi network to choose from every time I open internet browser.

I leave Wifi, Bluetooth and LTE on with email push set to 15 minutes. I never run out of battery life during the course of a day.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

LMAO:D
I hope you didnt believe that.
I never turn wifi off.
I just leave it on to autojoin known networks. Battery is fine.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It may or may not impact you depending on your usage. Being outside and havig the iPhone read several networks will drain battery. However, being on and connected to one same network will yield zero extra drainage. That's what I've found.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
I also leave mine on 24/7 but not auto join. I used to but find 4g or lte to be faster than a wifi I join away from home.

Unless you turn it off it auto joins the network you been on before. It asks you to choose a network,.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Count me in as another who has turned on Wi-Fi from day one and turns it off if I'm in an area with a poor signal.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Any battery app you download will tell you that iOS devices will last longer using wifi than using 3G. I don't turn mine off unless the connection is unstable.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I never turn mine off and haven't on any phone in years. Especially with LTE and tiered plans forgetting to turn it back on can get you some nasty overages.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Guess the 5's battery must be better than the 4S's battery....either that or the 5 is more power efficient.

I always turn Wifi OFF when I'm not using Wifi and the battery life on 4S is still atrocious. And when I am on Wifi I always turn Cellular data OFF. It's either one or the other.

Hopefully the 5S's battery will be even moreso....and hopefully a mophie juice pack will exist for the 5/5S by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.