Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I just got a 1TB WD My Passport backup hard drive. I am new to doing backup this way so I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up. Even though I haven't done anything yet, when I plug in the WD, it says I need to format (Erase) whatever is on the WD in order to use it with my Macbook because of an incompatible file system. That seems to be the first step. I assume Time Machine takes care of the rest?

I guess I'm just afraid to hit that 'Erase' button :confused:

Thanks

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, you have to format it as Mac extended (Journaled). Then Time machine will ask you if you want to use it.

Of course, you lose anything already on there.

Make sure you have the right drive selected... :)

R

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I guess I'm just afraid to hit that 'Erase' button :confused:
Unless you've already put data on the drive, which it doesn't seem you have, then why are you afraid to erase it? It's just going to format the drive, which will clear any and all data on it. Since you have none, it shouldn't be an issue.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Ok. As soon as I plugged it a window popped up and says 'Are you sure you want to erase the backup disk “My Passport”? Erasing will destroy all information on the disk and can’t be undone. So since it's new, nothing is on it yet. Just a little nervous with the warning I guess. Thanks :)

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Everything seemed to work ok. It didn't take too long to back up. Maybe an hour or 2? I just left it alone and did my housework. I had under 100 GB to backup and I didn't unselect anything.

After I install Windows, I assume I would have to partition the WD HD or get another one if I wanted to back that up too? I don't see myself using Windows for many things, or saving many files. What I did want to do is take my old Dell HD and get the information off of that and either put it onto my Macbook, or an external. I guess I could use my WD for that, or just buy another smaller external.

I'm not sure how that works for reading files from a non Mac system if I were to transfer the information. Or am I better off keeping it separate and just using an external for when I want to access something?

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Do you really need Windows to run on the Mac? Files are files, after all. I sync some folders between my PC and my Mac so I have access to all of my Office documents.

Video, music files, etc., are all compatible.

I just have a folder under documents with all of these docs.

R

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Do you really need Windows to run on the Mac? Files are files, after all. I sync some folders between my PC and my Mac so I have access to all of my Office documents.

R

Yes, I need Windows. I have a Vag-com for my car and the software only runs on Windows. I also do real estate and certain sites only run on IE. There were a few other reasons, but those are the main ones.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

R

the OP if the drive was partitioned as a single partition under OSX won't now be able to access that drive under Windows, without an HFS+ driver like Paragon's for Windows. Before going too far I'd suggest splitting the drive into 2 partitions and formatting one exFAT and the other HFS+. That way it'll be usable from both.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
the OP if the drive was partitioned as a single partition under OSX won't now be able to access that drive under Windows, without an HFS+ driver like Paragon's for Windows. Before going too far I'd suggest splitting the drive into 2 partitions and formatting one exFAT and the other HFS+. That way it'll be usable from both.

Understood... I guess I was suggesting that another Windows PC could access and store files on the Mac.

I use windows 7 and I am sharing folders from the MBP preferences - file sharing is on, and I have Windows SMB checked.

I can login from Windows 7 and read and write files.

If the OP needs Windows running on that box, I guess they have to do this partitioning.

R

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I'm not so much looking to backup the new Windows portion of my Macbook. I have an old hard drive from my Dell that I need to move the info from. I'm hoping I can only pull files. My ex used to do this stuff, so I am not as familiar with how to partition and move the information, but I can figure it out. So far I did the backup for my Macbook before I partition for Windows. I just need to figure out how much space I need for Windows and to run a few programs. I don't have a lot on my Macbook as it is, so I will probably use 250G for the partition. That will leave 500G for my Macbook. Should be plenty.

Since Windows wouldn't load on my old Dell HD anymore, I'm hoping to get the information off and move it. I may just buy another smaller drive for that or put the information on my Macbook after I install Windows. I could use the new WD backup drive, but I would need to partition it which means I have to format it again then partition then backup my Macbook again? I already did the backup on my Macbook, but to reformat, then partition the WD and then try to get files from my old HD and backup my Macbook again?:eek:

I have a co-worker who is supposed to help me with installing Windows. I'll see if he wants to do all the partitioning and backing up if I decide to use the WD to back up my Dell HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.