Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:06 PM   #101
chr1s60
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
I believe there are touchscreen notebooks and regular notebooks if you are wanting a device with a keyboard. Typing on a screen can be quite easily learned if you just try. And this is coming from someone who has quite big fingers and has also used a keyboard attachment for an iPad before.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro - White iPad mini - iPod Classic - iPod Nano - White/Silver iPhone 6+
chr1s60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:28 AM   #102
Dgail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Tablet keyboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1s60 View Post
I believe there are touchscreen notebooks and regular notebooks if you are wanting a device with a keyboard. Typing on a screen can be quite easily learned if you just try. And this is coming from someone who has quite big fingers and has also used a keyboard attachment for an iPad before.
Thanks for your advice. I have been an iPad 2 user for a year now and an iPhone user since they came out in 2007. Until 2 months ago used the virtual keyboard. I touch type with all fingers and for me, a keyboard, whether one that is a part of the iPad case or and external one such as Apple's works better. I am a little more prolific of a writer and I think the virtual keyboard works better for thumb or "hunt and peck" typing which I do neither of.

I think it is a matter of choice. There will be times when I carry the iPad regular or mini with me without a keyboard and at other times at home use with a keyboard. I maintain 2 residences due to where my work is versus where my home is, so depend heavily on mobile access. The iPad 2 is largely my MBP substitute when I am away from home. The iPad mini is my carry around device sans keyboard at work.

Since I use only Apple products, notebooks are not an option nor desired. The MBA 11" is not practical for carrying around at work. It may end up taking the place of the larger iPad at some point, but right now, this works.

I don't think of the iPad mini as replacing my full sized iPad, will see how that goes once I take delivery of it in early December (actually arriving earlier, but am not at home to take delivery until then).

I do have a question for iPad mini and Retina (those of us who need reading glasses) users that have presbyopia. Do you notice much of a difference or benefit with Retina. I am wondering with the smaller text size, if this is actually a disadvantage?
__________________
D. Gail and Mika the Berner
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived." Steve Jobs
Dgail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:27 PM   #103
vanzantapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
That mini case looks cool but I wouldn't buy it.
vanzantapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 PM   #104
madlovemonkey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizKat View Post
Yep. I am just not very good at using a virtual keyboard for more than passwords, monosyllabic replies to assorted emails, etc. When it comes to most text processing past that, I usually want to be able to touch-type on a "real" keyboard.

But, for some reason, I do like typing on the iPad using the original Notes app. I do it all the time when I bump into something that prompts me to make notes while browsing book review sections, news-oriented magazines, blogs etc. I can't figure out why that is. I remember being so taken by the iPad's keyboard when I first used it (with Notes, natch), so maybe that's it, just an association to liking the larger virtual keyboard than my iPhone was offering. Mystery to me, but too late to break the habit now. I wish I could translate liking the keyboard with Notes to liking it for use with Pages, I'd spend less time wandering around looking for a laptop.
I've written a few screenplays using my old first generation iPad and Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard. It was awesome because the battery life was about 12 hours, more than twice any laptop for that time (way back in 2010!). My iPad's getting slow though so I'm going to be getting an iPad Mini. I've tried out some keyboards and so far the Logitech keyboard (in the Zagg case) is the best. I'll miss my old iPad but it's still the best device for distraction free writing, in my opinion.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-ipad-mini-keyboard-cases
madlovemonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:23 PM   #105
djokes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Goog Ipad mini , when lauching in Indonesia ?
djokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:44 PM   #106
gregsmacintosh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Snugg iPad mini PU Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand

I absolutely love this case! It is slim and reminds me of holding a book. The leather is genuine, even smells great. The stitching is top notch. There is a stylus holder and a built in handle in the back so you donít get fatigue holding the mini ipad. The magnet is great for holding the cover on. Buy it, and you wont regret. Snugg even throws in a lifetime guarantee. Great buy for $25 and a huge variety of colors.
gregsmacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:30 PM   #107
riverfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Earth, mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgail View Post

Since I use only Apple products, notebooks are not an option nor desired. The MBA 11" is not practical for carrying around at work. It may end up taking the place of the larger iPad at some point, but right now, this works.

...

I do have a question for iPad mini and Retina (those of us who need reading glasses) users that have presbyopia. Do you notice much of a difference or benefit with Retina. I am wondering with the smaller text size, if this is actually a disadvantage?
Not following you on why Apple laptops aren't an option. They pretty much have the best laptop line on the planet.

But as a fellow presbyopia sufferer: mini works like a champ for me with my progressives.

----------

For everyone who can't imagine the point of a keyboard cae allow me to paint your imple use case. (Yes: this is all written with the on creen keyboard of the mini. I type a lot, often, and it till int
Perfect for me. Far from it,

(I'll correct all the on creen typos from here on out)

I travel. Often. Now with an 11" air for coding and serious work and a mini for quick direction check, web stuff, entertainment, light email. It would be great to have a sole device, one that would let me rage on the keyboard when necessary, and would still give the flexibility of a mini for, say, reading books in bars.

This would be for pseudo vacations when I still need to work tending servers. Don't get real vacation anymore...
riverfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:27 AM   #108
Dgail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfreak View Post
Not following you on why Apple laptops aren't an option. They pretty much have the best laptop line on the planet.

But as a fellow presbyopia sufferer: mini works like a champ for me with my progressives.

----------

For everyone who can't imagine the point of a keyboard cae allow me to paint your imple use case. (Yes: this is all written with the on creen keyboard of the mini. I type a lot, often, and it till int
Perfect for me. Far from it,

(I'll correct all the on creen typos from here on out)

I travel. Often. Now with an 11" air for coding and serious work and a mini for quick direction check, web stuff, entertainment, light email. It would be great to have a sole device, one that would let me rage on the keyboard when necessary, and would still give the flexibility of a mini for, say, reading books in bars.

This would be for pseudo vacations when I still need to work tending servers. Don't get real vacation anymore...
Agree that Apple makes the best laptops on the planet, just not "pocketable" for doing my rounds at work, the mini goes with me everywhere. The 11" Air might be a great home laptop, or even one of the retina MBPs. Should clarify, PC NET books are not an option for me as I live in the Apple ecosystem though I need to access the PC based program at work through a Citrix server on the Mac or iPad. Think autocorrect changed original text.
__________________
D. Gail and Mika the Berner
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived." Steve Jobs

Last edited by Dgail; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added something.
Dgail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:57 PM   #109
fredf
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Just received my iPadMiniMod keyboard

So I went ahead and ordered one. It just arrived minutes ago.
I haven't had much time on it. They keyboard (which I am NOT using now...see below) is quite tiny. It's not going to be very comfortable for a lot of typing.
And the key feel isn't great.

It's not a terrible keyboard but the quality of the keys is not really good. Adequate in a pinch but not for more than that.

It does fit nicely to the iPad Mini though.

The package I got did not come with a mini-USB cable as advertised. I just emailed them and I'll see if they live up to their hype about providing good service.

Can't use the keyboard because I can't find a micro-USB cable around the house and I'll be damned if I'm going to run out and buy one just for this (yep, I don't own anything else that requires that cable).

I would say for maybe $20 it's a reasonable keyboard, but not worth the $50 with delivery that it cost. I'll decide whether to keep it in the next few days.
Thing is, they don't refund the $10 delivery and it will cost me another $10 to return it. So even if I don't keep it it will have cost me $20. So I may just hang on to it for that reason.

Now, if they don't send me the cable I will return it because I will be so pissed off.

Just letting you all know.
fredf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:07 PM   #110
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God
 
Arelunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CA Central Coast
How long did it take for you to get your iPad Mini Mod keyboard? I ordered mine in late October, it languished in Hong Kong for several weeks and 7 days ago, it theoretically left HK toward US delivery. Still no sign of it. Anyone else have problems with delivery??
__________________
Always learning...
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:01 PM   #111
fredf
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
i am pretty impressed with the delivery time. mine took two weeks from order to payment.

But now that I've used it, let me tell you--cancel the order and save your money. The keyboard is NOT of good quality and the keys are too small to allow touch typing. you have to use only 3 or 4 fingers and you have to stare at the keyboard in order to not make many mistakes. And the keyboard in use disables spell check so it takes forever to type.

I am typing this, painfully with the keyboard. The virtual keyboard is much faster. For instance, the caps lock does not light up and is so close to the shift key that i press it constantly and don;t realize it until I notice I;m typing all capitals.

Save your money and don;t buy this junk. I would like a keyboard but this isn't the one.,
This has taken me 10 minutes to type on the damned keyboard.

Also: now that I've switched to the virtual keyboard I should add that the Bluetooth keyboard does not automatically sync. You have to type in a different code and press enter each time. Just another pain.

Last edited by fredf; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
fredf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:54 PM   #112
Dgail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Dodo case plus keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7 View Post
So I have a Dodocase Hardcover for my iPad Mini... freaking love it. I can type rather well on my iPad mini actually... but I'd say that if I was in a class or something taking a lot of notes, it would get tiring.

At that point I'd just have a small apple bluetooth keyboard with me though and set it up in front of my iPad Mini in the Dodocase.

Best of both worlds.
After having tried a miniturized Logitech/Zagg look-alike, I sent it back to the manufacturer. The keys were cramped and there were tabs that scratched the bezel of my iPad mini and was not too impressed with the build quality.

Will stick with a DoDo case and probably an Apple wireless keyboard. The full sized Zagg Pro Plus works okay too, but not as portable, but then the neither is the Apple wireless keyboard. By portable I mean something the iPad fits into without a lot of bulk like the folio type keyboard/coverr combinations.

Besides when I am carrying around my iPad at work or on the run, don't really need the keyboard. At home, not an issue how portable it is.

Would still like to see Logitech "miniturize" their Ultrathin for the mini, it's smaller size would better lend itself to the magnitized groove which may not have the same problems it has with the full-sized iPad.
__________________
D. Gail and Mika the Berner
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived." Steve Jobs
Dgail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:27 PM   #113
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
seem pretty nice. i haven't seen any in stores yet
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:25 AM   #114
ClemsonSCJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Wow I can't believe how many people are bashing these tablet keyboards simply because their lives don't give a necessary reason to own one. I have an ipad mini for school simply because 1) It's a hell of a lot lighter than a laptop, and smaller, even with the "bulky" keyboard, and 2) because I can get the majority of my books on the ipad and not have to lug around 5 20lb books! So because I also have to take notes, and typing on the screen gives some pretty serious hand cramps, I use a keyboard. Bash it if you want but I find it damn convenient.
ClemsonSCJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:01 AM   #115
janny1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
It is meaningless to the blind pursuit of the Processor, because you can't really feel these N-core in the current system of Ios how faster and faster, but there are other accessories for ipad mini that it makes more sense like iPad Mini Leather Bluetooth Keyboard Case, of course, that's personally gift style, but I think the case is great, not only in my budget for $32 but can last for 100 hours.
janny1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:40 AM   #116
Gyffes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Everything goes better with keyboards

I have ipad2. It's no great shakes. I have netbooks (7, 10, 11") -- they're awesome. Besides the full ("real") OS on offer, I don't have to read my books, email, papers, etc through a cloud of fingerprints (less a concern on my iphone), or prop up an increasingly heavy tablet (when my iPod touch falls on my face as I drift off to sleep, I laugh; were the ipad to do so, I'd bleed). And typing on the ipad is no joy, either, ESP in portrait mode.

But I ordered a Logitech ultrathin for my boss and it was a revelation, totally transforming the ipad into a device on which I could actually get work done.
It's too hard to use team viewer on my phone so I've ordered the ipad mini (fits in my cargo pocket with just a bit protruding) and now am weighing cases. It works for me because with 66% of the iPad's screen, it has 47% the weight: do I really want to mess with that for a keyboard of uncertain utility? I actually typed pretty well on that little eee701's keyboard; will the Zagg recreate that without costing me the portability the mini offers? Why can't I find one/several in stores to try out?
Gyffes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:47 PM   #117
Dgail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Bluetooth Keyboard covers for iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyffes View Post
I have ipad2. It's no great shakes. I have netbooks (7, 10, 11") -- they're awesome. Besides the full ("real") OS on offer, I don't have to read my books, email, papers, etc through a cloud of fingerprints (less a concern on my iphone), or prop up an increasingly heavy tablet (when my iPod touch falls on my face as I drift off to sleep, I laugh; were the ipad to do so, I'd bleed). And typing on the ipad is no joy, either, ESP in portrait mode.

But I ordered a Logitech ultrathin for my boss and it was a revelation, totally transforming the ipad into a device on which I could actually get work done.
It's too hard to use team viewer on my phone so I've ordered the ipad mini (fits in my cargo pocket with just a bit protruding) and now am weighing cases. It works for me because with 66% of the iPad's screen, it has 47% the weight: do I really want to mess with that for a keyboard of uncertain utility? I actually typed pretty well on that little eee701's keyboard; will the Zagg recreate that without costing me the portability the mini offers? Why can't I find one/several in stores to try out?
Logitech and Zagg make full sized iPad keyboard covers and I have tried both of them and settled on the Zagg. The Zagg is a little heavier than the Logitech Ultrathin, but I had a problem (see other posts) with the silicone strip in the magnetic groove where the iPad sits in when using the keyboard.

There are a couple of what I refer to as "after market" keyboard covers for the iPad mini. I ordered something called a 3 in 1. I think it was tooled from a 7" net book as it had regular keyboard keys as opposed to the island style keys Apple, Logitech and Zagg have on their units. This one has clips that hold the mini face down in storage mode. I also returned this because these clips that attach to the mini would have scratched the aluminum finish if I had not had a skin on it.

Any keyboard that is customized for the mini will feel cramped, but for those of us who wish to produce documents on the mini and touch type, having a keyboard will be a godsend once the right one comes out. Frankly, I would prefer a miniaturized version of the Logitech Ultrathin as it is lighter and has the same magnetic hinge attachment as the Apple Smart Covers.

BTW, this reply was typed with the Zagg Pro Plus (Pro w/o backlight, Pro Plus with).

Hope this helps.
__________________
D. Gail and Mika the Berner
"To do what you want to do, to leave a mark that you think is important and lasting, that's a life well lived." Steve Jobs
Dgail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:59 AM   #118
madlovemonkey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgail View Post
Logitech and Zagg make full sized iPad keyboard covers and I have tried both of them and settled on the Zagg. The Zagg is a little heavier than the Logitech Ultrathin, but I had a problem (see other posts) with the silicone strip in the magnetic groove where the iPad sits in when using the keyboard.

There are a couple of what I refer to as "after market" keyboard covers for the iPad mini. I ordered something called a 3 in 1. I think it was tooled from a 7" net book as it had regular keyboard keys as opposed to the island style keys Apple, Logitech and Zagg have on their units. This one has clips that hold the mini face down in storage mode. I also returned this because these clips that attach to the mini would have scratched the aluminum finish if I had not had a skin on it.

Any keyboard that is customized for the mini will feel cramped, but for those of us who wish to produce documents on the mini and touch type, having a keyboard will be a godsend once the right one comes out. Frankly, I would prefer a miniaturized version of the Logitech Ultrathin as it is lighter and has the same magnetic hinge attachment as the Apple Smart Covers.

BTW, this reply was typed with the Zagg Pro Plus (Pro w/o backlight, Pro Plus with).

Hope this helps.
The Zagg has two cases: the 7" and the 9". I got the 9" version and the keyboard is nice and spacious. Typing on the iPad Mini is always going to be a little bit cozy, but I'm able to go for long writing sessions with no discomfort. I recommend it.
This post explains the difference between the two models: http://case-cafe.com/best-ipad-mini-keyboard-cases/
madlovemonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 02:35 PM   #119
Gyffes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I opted for the Mini with Smart Cover (for when shoved in my pocket) and the Zagg keyboard for fullsize iPad (the aluminum one that sits in a slightly recessed 'well' and melds perfectly with a regular ipad) which rides in my ex-diaper bag/now man-purse with the mini when I don't need the mini in m'pocket.

It slips into the slot quickly, no rubber inserts to worry about (thanks for the ultrathin warning), the recessed nature of the 'board means the keys are protected when put against the magazine that acts as bag-stiffener. The keys are responsive and the mating is spectacular.

I didn't get the backlight: didn't see a need and don't want the potential battery issues it might contribute.

I did finally pry a Zagg mini from its box at a BestBuy and try it: it makes the iPad mini too thick, it no longer fits into my pocket. As portability is the key, I find my solution elegantly meets my needs.
Gyffes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad 5 Cases with Mini-Inspired Designs Begin Hitting Chinese Marketplaces MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 38 Feb 27, 2013 09:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC