Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

New apple product with 5-7 inch display will appear this year!

After seeing so many 5 inch 1080P Android phones, I really feel that apple is indeed missing something: Right now they have nothing with 5-7 inch display to offer. Nothing with 5 inch display, nothing with 6 inch display, and nothing with 7 inch display. This really feels wrong now.

So I predict: New apple product with 5-7 inch display will appear this year!

Although I don't know how apple will do it, but isn't it enormously wrong to leave this wide gap open until 2014?!
Kolmogorov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

The Mini is 7.9".

Who knows. Apple could have 4.6" 1080p iPhones just around the corner for us in March.

Who knows.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
The Mini is 7.9".

Who knows. Apple could have 4.6" 1080p iPhones just around the corner for us in March.

Who knows.
This is extremely unlikely since I got my less-than-720P iPhone 5 for less a month...

Seriously, if apple is making an iPhone with larger display, the resolution has to be 2272*1280, isn't it?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolmogorov View Post
This is extremely unlikely since I got my less-than-720P iPhone 5 for less a month...

Seriously, if apple is making an iPhone with larger display, the resolution has to be 2272*1280, isn't it?
I'm guessing Apple would fragment its products to support a new iPhone size. But I'm guessing it might be a neat multiplier to assist developers who don't instantly rewrite an app for a new sized phone.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I'm guessing Apple would fragment its products to support a new iPhone size. But I'm guessing it might be a neat multiplier to assist developers who don't instantly rewrite an app for a new sized phone.
Fragment or not? An extremely serious question for apple...

When will phone hardwares have the horse power to scale video output nicely? Like in the retina MacBook Pro. Should be soon, right? Then fragment will not be that serious a problem. They can put many more pixels in the new display, just keep the 16:9 aspect ratio of then old iPhone 5...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Is it really necessary to have a device that account for each inch from 4-15? Common sense says no, those with none say yes.
Interstella5555 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Making a 4.6 inch screen will make the majority of people so happy they would careless about the apps not adjusted to the larger screen. Not one of my friends or family members ever commented on their apps not filling the screen on their new iP5's when they first got it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

So matter of fact.
I simply see no need for a 5-7 display on a phone, ever.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

What? Another thread about the next iPhone?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:38 AM   #10
tonyy
macrumors 6502

]A 5"-7" screen would be highly unlikely but with the new regime, anything is fair game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly wider screen however.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
ToddH
macrumors 6502

Go ahead, get you a telephone will not fit in your pocket and will be cumbersome to use. Nobody needs that large of a screen on an iPhone or any phone. It is more of a want, not a need. The iPhone 5 currently has a large enough screen that is barely usable with one hand, plenty big. I would not want a phone that I have to use two hands with. I seriously doubt that Apple will produce a phone like the galaxy note. Just too large!
ToddH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
]A 5"-7" screen would be highly unlikely but with the new regime, anything is fair game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly wider screen however.
This whole "wider screen" thing has cracked me up from the beginning.

Apple moves to the more popular 16:9 aspect ratio in a 4" screen and people say "make it wider"....Apple can't (no smartphone maker would) just make it wider without doing one of the following:

1) ruining the aspect ratio
2) Increase the bezel (which is the opposite of what any smartphone maker is doing)
3) moving to a different aspect ratio (which would make the screen shorter)
4) adopting something other than the 4" size

At 16:9 and 4" diagonally, the SCREEN on the iPhone measures at 3.49in x 1.96in. This means there is approximately 0.35 inches of TOTAL bezel on the left and ride sides of the phone (0.175 in on each side).

For the screen to be wider and still retain the 16:9 aspect ratio, the screen size couldn't stay at 4".

Apple could adopt the still popular 16:10 ratio and at 4" this would give the SCREEN measurements of 3.39in x 2.12in - an increase in screen width of 0.16 inches and a reduction in screen height of 0.10 inches.

Of course - the real problem with ALL of this is developers and fragmentation. To widen the screen would cause developers to write completely new resolutions into their apps - as it is, the iPhone 5 retains the width thereby making devs only account for added height.

If you want a bigger phone, I get that. They are popular these days - personally I think the sweet spot would be on the lower end of 4.3" - 4.7" - but to assert that apple made the iPhone 5 screen too skinny doesn't really make a whole lot of sense given what's already out on the market. Apple didn't come up with some foreign device that's abnormally tall and skinny - they simply did a 4" at 16:9 - which exists in other manufacturers lines.
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:29 PM   #13
w00t951
macrumors 68000

They're going to have to at one point, so they might as well slap their developers in the face right now.
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #14
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
This whole "wider screen" thing has cracked me up from the beginning.

Apple moves to the more popular 16:9 aspect ratio in a 4" screen and people say "make it wider"....Apple can't (no smartphone maker would) just make it wider without doing one of the following:

1) ruining the aspect ratio
2) Increase the bezel (which is the opposite of what any smartphone maker is doing)
3) moving to a different aspect ratio (which would make the screen shorter)
4) adopting something other than the 4" size

At 16:9 and 4" diagonally, the SCREEN on the iPhone measures at 3.49in x 1.96in. This means there is approximately 0.35 inches of TOTAL bezel on the left and ride sides of the phone (0.175 in on each side).

For the screen to be wider and still retain the 16:9 aspect ratio, the screen size couldn't stay at 4".

Apple could adopt the still popular 16:10 ratio and at 4" this would give the SCREEN measurements of 3.39in x 2.12in - an increase in screen width of 0.16 inches and a reduction in screen height of 0.10 inches.

Of course - the real problem with ALL of this is developers and fragmentation. To widen the screen would cause developers to write completely new resolutions into their apps - as it is, the iPhone 5 retains the width thereby making devs only account for added height.

If you want a bigger phone, I get that. They are popular these days - personally I think the sweet spot would be on the lower end of 4.3" - 4.7" - but to assert that apple made the iPhone 5 screen too skinny doesn't really make a whole lot of sense given what's already out on the market. Apple didn't come up with some foreign device that's abnormally tall and skinny - they simply did a 4" at 16:9 - which exists in other manufacturers lines.
Or they could wider and taller. No problems if they manage to make the bezels thinner. No problems at all: same aspect ratio, same resolution - everything will be just slightly bigger. Pixel density would go down to somewhere between 305-320 pixels per inch.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Or they could wider and taller. No problems if they manage to make the bezels thinner. No problems at all: same aspect ratio, same resolution - everything will be just slightly bigger. Pixel density would go down to somewhere between 305-320 pixels per inch.
And the overall screen size would be larger - which I mentioned as an option.

I simply stated that at the current 4" screen size, the current form factor isn't some odd form created by Apple.
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #16
chakraj
macrumors 65816

if they make a 5inch iphone I may actually come back to the fruit company. Well they would also have to have a new OS the old one is ancient by now, in phone terms. Its like a model T on today's roads, yes it works and it drives smooth for those who have been using it for years, but its just not competitive against the newer ones on the road.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
So matter of fact.
I simply see no need for a 5-7 display on a phone, ever.
Agreed. I was playing around with my friend's HTC One X over the weekend. That thing is a boat. I don't need to take phone calls with an iPad Mini, thanks.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone