Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelm1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK

upload

I have been into FontBook and solved all font issues and duplications, done a full restart and still I am having the issue. It seems to crop up mainly on installers and system messages.

joelm1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
What do you mean by language problem? I have already checked all the system fonts and everything seems to be in order.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You're sure the system fonts haven't been disabled?

Otherwise, it might be a font cache issue. Try clearing the font cache and the restarting.
You can do this using a utility like Onyx, or alternatively run this Terminal command:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

You will need to enter your password. Restart the computer once this has done.

If you're scared about entering commands offered to you by strange men on the internet, doing a Safe Boot will also clear the font cache.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

joelm1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
Looking at the safe boot option (not that I don't trust your terminal command, but this is a work computer so have to be extra careful!), it states that the Safe Boot will:

"It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts (Mac OS X v10.4 or later)."

Does this mean that any fonts I have installed that aren't built into OSX as standard will be wiped off?

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Maybe replace your keyboard with one that only has those A letters :) Then you'll always know you're typing in a matching language.

Sorry, just kidding. I have no idea what that is. Good luck and hopefully you find a fix soon.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
if its a "work" mac then stop wasting your time and restore the system from your backup that was done before you had a play with parts of the system you clearly do not understand the interactions on your playing :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does this mean that any fonts I have installed that aren't built into OSX as standard will be wiped off?
No, "disabled" does not mean "deleted". They simply will be disabled while you're booted in safe mode. When you restart in normal mode, they will be re-enabled.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
You're sure the system fonts haven't been disabled?

Otherwise, it might be a font cache issue. Try clearing the font cache and the restarting.
You can do this using a utility like Onyx, or alternatively run this Terminal command:

You will need to enter your password. Restart the computer once this has done.

This is good advice.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If it's a work computer, then I would ask whoever does IT to have a look at it.
Many companies use custom-built disk images of the OS and apps, which may be non-standard and so require special treatment.

Otherwise, No, Safe Boot does not delete fonts: just disable them for the duration of the Safe Boot.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
You may very well have disabled system fonts versus non system fonts.

i would check your User Library's Font folder and temporarily put them on another disk, trash, etc restart and see if the corruption still exists then if it does, a font you disabled is one of the culprits or if it doesnt then you know one of the ones you have is bad or conflicting with a system font

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Before considering the possibility that a font itself is corrupted, the sensible thing to do is what benwiggy suggested already:

In Terminal, just type

Code:

and immediately reboot.

This purges the font caches---analogous to purging a browser's cache. It is completely harmless, and may well solve the problem.

joelm1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
Brilliant advice guys, using the terminal command and re-booting worked perfectly. I was informed upon start up of a conflict with two Lucida fonts, which I simply trashed to solve the issue.

Oh and;

if its a "work" mac then stop wasting your time and restore the system from your backup that was done before you had a play with parts of the system you clearly do not understand the interactions on your playing :D

It is a recently purchased, refurbished iMac that came with this issue. I simply thought it would be best to try solve the problem myself (with a little help) than to return it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.