Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Given the fact that the current setup is what, almost 4yo I don't question your experience at all - but am unsure what you mean with similar specs. 4-core and xGB of ram? Because about everything inside the rMBP is new technology compared to the MP.

I was just curious, since I had exactly the same thought as you, and will most likely get the next revision rMBP (and have a real good look at the MP section as well). But honestly, I'd be afraid of hardware failures due to heat dissipation doing heavy work on such a thin machine over a constant period of time. Especially if it would be the only machine I could work on.

Yep- quad core with 8 gigs of RAM in both.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
But honestly, I'd be afraid of hardware failures due to heat dissipation doing heavy work on such a thin machine over a constant period of time. Especially if it would be the only machine I could work on.

That's a valid concern. But maybe one of those laptop stands with built-in fans could help? I know, not exactly an ultimate solution, but most likely a workable one.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That's a valid concern. But maybe one of those laptop stands with built-in fans could help? I know, not exactly an ultimate solution, but most likely a workable one.

Could be. To each their own and I can think of a lot of work related scenarios where I could use a rMBP perfectly - some where a MP can't compare at all. Rendering or decoding and such things aren't one of them though. And honestly, who buys a quad core MP with 8GB ram nowadays? I'm super excited to get my hands on a new 16core later this year. :cool: (Ya, I know, I know lame prediction)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wouldn't that just be an Xserve? While I'm all for a Mac Pro redesign, what would be the reason to make them stackable unless you were to use them as servers/storage? It would essentially be an Xserve.

I think I head a rumour of them being stackable last year. Just a guess, it may be a Mac Pro/Xserve replacement in one product.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I thought it got a minor update in 2012?

If you can call a minor spec bump an upgrade while other Macs are getting Thunderbolt and USB 3.

Say what you want about Thunderbolt being overpriced and expensive, but if anyone's most likely to need Thunderbolt, wouldn't it be someone who bought a Mac Pro?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Could be. To each their own and I can think of a lot of work related scenarios where I could use a rMBP perfectly - some where a MP can't compare at all. Rendering or decoding and such things aren't one of them though. And honestly, who buys a quad core MP with 8GB ram nowadays? I'm super excited to get my hands on a new 16core later this year. :cool: (Ya, I know, I know lame prediction)

I don't edit video all the time, but I do need that ability, and the rMBP does it well. I could not justify the cost of a 12 core MP at all, especially since the tech is old.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I don't edit video all the time, but I do need that ability, and the rMBP does it well. I could not justify the cost of a 12 core MP at all, especially since the tech is old.

Didn't want to question yout purchase, Lee. :)
If I had to get a new machine lately, I'd opted for one as well, but it was you who wrote 'MP is dead', and that's where I disagree. If Apple gets its act together this year and retains about the same price point, the MP wouldn't even cost significantly more than other workstation vendors (well, that's what I learned at MR). Show me any other product made by Apple where that's the case.

Last edited:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Didn't want to question yout purchase, Lee. :)
If I had to get a new machine lately, I'd opted for one as well, but it was you who wrote 'MP is dead', and that's where I disagree. If Apple gets its act together this year and retains about the same price point, the MP wouldn't even cost significantly more than other workstation vendors (well, that's what I learned at MR). Show me any other product made by Apple where that's the case.

I'm not disagreeing necessarily- but the need for towers is beginning to disappear in the pro market. I see it all over in the ad world- everyone is either moving to iMacs or laptops, mostly laptops. That's a huge segment of the pro market, which quite honestly only leaves very heavy video editing as a market for the MP. It's only a matter of time before the MP goes away- and my need for one disappeared with the rMBP.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I'm interested in the iPad 5. The ipad hasn't really changed much for a while, it's really just been thinned out and sped up (retina display was added of course, but that technology was already seen in 2 prior iPhone releases). Yet the iPad 4 is so stable with its A6X, a processor improvement wouldn't be a huge selling point this time around (2gigs of RAM would be almost a waste with iOS's extreme memory efficiency). I can see a battery size reduction of course, and maybe a 128gb option, but other than that, it's a mystery.

An easily jailbroken processor would honestly be enough for me to upgrade from the iPad 3, but apple nearly has the app-piracy scheme run into the ground, so they aren't gonna let me play N64 on the yummy A6x quite yet.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
-Everything will get a spec bump.

-iPad Mini will probably get retina

-iPad will get a new housing. More in line with the Mini.

Nothing radical I suppose.

Unless:

-Apple push to release their TV, though I'm not entirely sure it'll happen.

-They re-skin iOS. Nothing major just a little something to make it appear fresher.

-They go all out on the Mac Pro. Doubtful.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
-Everything will get a spec bump.

-iPad Mini will probably get retina

-iPad will get a new housing. More in line with the Mini.

Nothing radical I suppose.

Unless:

-Apple push to release their TV, though I'm not entirely sure it'll happen.

-They re-skin iOS. Nothing major just a little something to make it appear fresher.

-They go all out on the Mac Pro. Doubtful.

Don't think mini retina will happen until later in the year.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, right. iOS 7 will look exactly like iOS 1-6. And what's the deal with all the biometric scanners?

Highly doubt that. :) Biometric scanner is a solution to a current problem with todays authentication. Biometric fingerscanner is much faster and safer, and allows for more options in terms of functionality. Imagine one finger to launch your camera.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I'm not disagreeing necessarily- but the need for towers is beginning to disappear in the pro market. I see it all over in the ad world- everyone is either moving to iMacs or laptops, mostly laptops. That's a huge segment of the pro market, which quite honestly only leaves very heavy video editing as a market for the MP. It's only a matter of time before the MP goes away- and my need for one disappeared with the rMBP.

The reason people are moving away from MPs is because there has not been a new one for years (I do not count the 2012 insult). If you absolutely need the hardware you get with a new machine there is not much choice but to hold your nose.

If there is no MP this year I might spend most of my computer budget on a decked out laptop and a few other toys ... simply because I need a new one. I see it as a stopgap and a way of offloading some things my desktop does. Not as an ultimate solution.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
OK, let´s revisit this thread in january 2014! Let´s hear your predictions for 2013.

I´ll go first:

New product:
iTV - UltraHD 3860x1920 (4K), High fidelity audio, excellent speakers surround sound, 3D No glasses?, Transparent? Ultra thin, IGZO display and made in beautiful Liquid metal. Controlled by iPhone,iPad or iPod and SIRI. Lets you subscribe to individual TV Channels, every show stored in iCloud as well as your channels subscriptions. Also possible to stream any of those TV channels to any IOS device. Stream 4K movies through iTunes. User based content configuration through biometric fingerprint. You press your finger on IOS7 device TV app, and it will display that users channels, shows, etc automatically.

iWatch (doubtful): Beautiful waterproof liquid metal design, Biometric authentication to iCloud and all other Apple services. SIRI+ control and features. Phone,Facetime,iMessage, etc. This will not be a gadget type of watch, but more a elegant stylish think Omega type watch.

IOS 7: A more redefined UI all over. Multi-user support. Biometric scanner support. Improved Maps & Siri.

OSX 10.9 now with biometric scanner. New major releases of iWork,iLife, Logic and Aperture.

iPad "5" now as thin as ipad mini using IGZO retina display - same battery time as current iPad. Faster processor. Biometric scanner for authentication. No more pin code. Different user finger equals different apps,music,photos,customization.

iPad Mini now with IGZO retina display, same battery & biometric scanner.

iPhone 5s same form factor but with IGZO display & biometric scanner.

Macbook Air now with retina display & biometric scanner. Slightly thinner due to IGZO display.

Mac Pro in a much smaller form factor, beautiful liquidmetal made case. Expansion through improved thunderbolt for additional GFX/Audio cards/disks.
Be sure to hook it up to your iTV for an awesome 4K display.

And last but not least, 2013 revenue will end up at $201b with EPS at $69.

That´s my prediction, and I look forward to re-reading it and laugh in 2014!

So lets see how we did we our predictions shall we?

I missed on new products, Apple did not come out with any TV or Iwatch.
I nailed the Ipad prediction, even the IGZO display came out true, although it did not feature a TouchID. Pretty much got the iPad Mini right too. But no biometric scanner.
I nailed the iPhone 5S even the TouchID, but missed the part about 64bit.
No new Macbook Air.
I think I got Mac Pro pretty much down, expect liquid metal, although we don´t know what the case of made of yet.
I completely missed on revenue and EPS. $170billion vs my estimate of $201b. EPS a poor $40 vs my estimate of $68.

All in all, I´m pretty happy with the predictions. Let´s start another 2014 thread soon!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Something is released/updated. Some people are cranky about it; other people are thrilled. That's my prediction.:D

Holy mackerel mother of another mackerel gor blimey cheese n rice great thundering goannas.

You were 100% correct. Prescient even.

/bow

PS: got any stock tips? Just between us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.