Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Not sure what's going on, but today has been terrible. Screen brightness always stays at 30-40%. The room I've been sleeping in for the past week has been cold, around 57F. Perhaps that has something to do with it? :confused:
image.jpg

Not so hot today
photo.PNG

Last edited:

waiaung1

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I really do wish that people would start including screen brightness levels (which is probably the biggest factor, if not top 3 when it comes to battery life) with their posts. A phone can get 3-5 hours extra usage just by lowering the brightness. I have mine around 50% and get around 7-8 hours of usage usually with 3-4 hours surfing the web, 1 hour of playing music, 1 hour of games, 1 hour of YouTube, 30 mins of Facebook, 10-15 mins of talk, and a couple of texts. Bluetooth off, push off. Wifi on the whole time. With LTE only, I get around 6 hours with the same type of usage. I don't include standby time because it's pretty much negligible to me (I can go through 24 hours of standby and have my battery go down 5% at most)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Ecstatic with my iPhone 5 battery life.

Beats iPhone 4S with LTE and all power hogs turned on.
Beats iPhone 4 with LTE turned off and all power hogs on.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
My second try too see how long I could go without charging it. This was with 3g and WiFi disabled for most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.PNG
    IMG_0236.PNG
    281 KB · Views: 101

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
My second try too see how long I could go without charging it. This was with 3g and WiFi disabled for most of the time.

This seems rather futile to me, because without WiFi and 3G your phone will operate at speeds only just over what we could expect from a 56K modem in 1998. If everything takes longer, your screen might be on for longer when checking emails etc so this might actually decrease battery life anyway!

As has been stated here and on other similar iPad threads, the usage stats don't really mean much for comparison's sake because we don't know your brightness level, or you were doing with the phone or anything. 10 hours listening to music is pretty bad, 10 hours browsing the web is what you'd expect, 10 hours playing GTA Vice City isn't going to happen at all.

Also letting your battery get that low will shorten its life (obviously only a problem if you do it every day, occasionally won't matter)

The idea of disabling stuff and turning off this and that to avoid having to charge every night seems madness to me - unless you're away from a charger for a few days, in which case I would recommend it, but how often does that happen?

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2012
is it worth turning notifications off?

if i turn of messaging notifications for example, will i still receive messages on the lock screen?

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012

if i turn of messaging notifications for example, will i still receive messages on the lock screen?

Turning off notifications will only have an effect if you usually receive a lot of messages. The phone will vibrate less often.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i was having great battery until i got off wifi and started using cell data. 6 hours max usage ;[

everyone can have grrrrr8 battery life NOT using the phone but i wish we got 8 hours actual usage. using maps shoudlnt be 2.5x the rate of battery drain >_> using facebook should take the same ammount of energy as simple safari pages so i dont know theres room for optimizations.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357710771.301023.jpg

Not too happy with this to be honest. Guess I'm too used to the iPads long life. Need to carry my charger with me to work if I want to make it through the day.

drkryn

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Day 2 with new iPhone 5. This the usage since charging the phone fully. Screen brightness around %45 and not doing anything heavy. Texts, some phone calls and a lot of web browsing and tinkering. Some video here and there but nothing more than a few minutes each time.

Is this normal? Should it be better? This is my first iPhone so I don't know a whole lot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 89

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
is this considered "normal"? celluar off, Wi-Fi turned on for most of the day, only off at night, around 30-1hr +of gaming, a hour or two on music, texts, calls and rest is web browsing.

Attachments

• 013.PNG
    013.PNG
    107 KB · Views: 102

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Is this normal? Should it be better? This is my first iPhone so I don't know a whole lot

It's my first iPhone as well, but six hours use is what Apple promised no? So it would be fine in my book. I'm not getting anything more than four at the moment, so I'm a bit concerned.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
just died and took a screen shot of when it turned back on. :cool:

it just keeps getting better and better. this was with a lot more LTE than wifi (I'd say about 70% LTE and 30% wifi). Netflix, text, web, a few games, Pandora at the gym.

It shut off with about 11hrs and 25mins usage but I didn't get a screen shot of it.

BDEA8AFA-7794-471D-8798-93CABB74F884-372-0000001D122560F2.jpg

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
is this considered "normal"? celluar off, Wi-Fi turned on for most of the day, only off at night, around 30-1hr +of gaming, a hour or two on music, texts, calls and rest is web browsing.

Yes, this is normal. IIRC Apple has said 8-9 hours of usage. Not to mention you have over a days worth of standby.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
great battery life on 6.0.2 replacement phone

iOS 6.0.2 is weird my faulty phone had 3 hours 12 minutes
5 hours 18 minutes only 20% battery remaining this replacement going very strong
9 hours 10 minutes
2 days 3 hours still have 5% battery.:rolleyes:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

turning those off then whats the point of not using the features..thats the way I see it.

----------

thats amazing battery life

I average

7-8 hours usage
1 day standby

and i'm very happy with that.

whiskeytown

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Wirral, England
I was off work today and used my phone a lot - games, messaging, facebook etc. It was constantly getting locked and unlocked. I'm fairly happy with what I got - over 10 hours. I did notice that it hung in at 1% for ages before it finally shut off though.

Attachments

• photo (1).png
    photo (1).png
    106.1 KB · Views: 98

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
iOS 6.0.2 is weird my faulty phone had 3 hours 12 minutes
5 hours 18 minutes only 20% battery remaining this replacement going very strong
9 hours 10 minutes
2 days 3 hours still have 5% battery.:rolleyes:

Did you put the very same apps and settings on your replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.