Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
...Im curious to know from most of you all (this isn't some opinion I based off fact at all I'm sorry..)

But what if the ipad mini doesnt get retina in order to distinguish the gap between the mini, and it's big brother?

Dont get me wrong, I'm waiting for a retina screen ipad, but I've been reading other forums, including this one full of people like myself trying to hold out.. but would Apple actually go and make the mini RETINA, and have their customers torn? Especially when it's history that they lag behind on certain specs for newer models of things?

I just feel like the ipad mini will forever be behind and not MATCH the big one.. The big one will probably get A7... the mini will get A6, etc, but no retina.. but once again I'm no pro...

Anyone mind putting their thoughts on this?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Does the Mini really need to be Retina? It already has a pretty decent PPI.

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?

Will you actually buy a Retina Minni? or will you agonize over what Apple might add next to the Mini if/when a Retina Mini comes out?

If you need it buy it. If not, don't worry about it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?

Will you actually buy a Retina Minni? or will you agonize over what Apple might add next to the Mini if/when a Retina Mini comes out?

If you need it buy it. If not, don't worry about it.

It's PPI is garbage. It's very pixelated. Yes I've used it. It's a noticeably crappy compared to the iPhone or iPad 3.

Really like the size and feel in hands though. Aiming for an iPad Mini 3-ish.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I feel it is pretty obvious the next mini will be: The New iPad Mini with Retina Display. It seems natural that by the end of this year or even next all Apple product lines (ok maybe not iPod nano) will tout this feature. It is becoming a brand recognition selling point for them.

If they keep the iPad Mini at the current resolution, or bump it up but not tout it as Retina display they are not keeping ahead of the Android competitors and what other selling feature could they tout on the next Mini other than being 2x faster because they can't really make it anymore thin or light.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The Mini has a higher PPI than an iPad 2, which leads me to the question of have you looked and used an iPad Mini at all? Or are you just asking for Retina, because Retina is a "must have" buzz word?...

I would say yes, because browser text is smaller on the Mini and Retina would help that.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
"PIXELATED"? Lets keep in mind people that the gorgeous 27inch imac has only 109 ppi while the ipad mini has 163 ppi

I returned my iPad 4 for my mini, the screen looks good to me! Its not retina good but very good none the less, and i certainly wouldn't call it pixelated. retina is nice but not a must have for me...Id rather have more RAM but thats a different thread all together...meanwhile, im enjoying the heck out of my mini

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
"PIXELATED"? Lets keep in mind people that the gorgeous 27inch imac has only 109 ppi while the ipad mini has 163 pp...

I sit further away from my MBP than I do my iPad and I can still see that the text is a bit pixelated. If Apple releases a Retina iMac, text on the regular screen will look pixelated by comparison.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I sit further away from my MBP than I do my iPad and I can still see that the text is a bit pixelated. If Apple releases a Retina iMac, text on the regular screen will look pixelated by comparison.

Just because something that looks good is eclipsed by something that looks great doesn't make what looked good look any less good than it did before...

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Just because something that looks good is eclipsed by something that looks great doesn't make what looked good look any less good than it did before...

Fine, then it shouldn't carry the premium price that should only be associated with something great.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. the screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any iPad, which isnt going to happen

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
IMO - A retina screen is the only feature missing.
What else could they possibly add to make it a must have?
A better chip? Who cares. Not sexy enough.
It will get the better screen.
It needs retina more than you think.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. The screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any ipad, which isnt going to happen

+1

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
its not ****ing pixelated, you people who seem to think it is must hold it 6 inches away from your face. the screen looks great as it is, and if they added retina the screen would have the highest pixel density of any iPad, which isnt going to happen

Agreed, I think the screen looks great.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It's something that you only notice with iPad 3/4 and iPad Mini side by side, otherwise the iPad Mini resolution and PPI are good enough.

Not that bad like iPad 2 was.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
when i put my phone down and went back to my ipad 2 it was noticeable. whereas its jut not with the mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.