Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 screen coating

I'm just curious...did they change something with the screen coating from the IP4 to the IP5? One of the biggest frustrations I had with my IP4 was that the screen would get finger prints and smudged up and oily, to the point where it almost felt gross to touch/hold. I would try to wipe it off and it would usually just streak...it was really hard to get completely clean.

I have found with my IP5 that the screen stays really, really clean. I have no idea how. I touch it and it gets some prints and streaks and whatnot...I look at the phone a while later and it looks like it is completely clean again. LOL, I don't know how else to describe it. I move it in and out of my pocket and maybe rubbing it against the cloth liner of my pocket cleans it a bit? That's the only thing I can come up with, lol. But besides that, I can let it sit on my desk for a couple hours and it seems to just clear off on it's own. I'm sure it isn't magically cleaning itself, but I am really pleasantly surprised at how well the screen stays clean. Another one of the many nice things I've come to find moving from an IP4 to IP5. Just thought I'd share.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Yes, each iPhone 5 comes with a tiny gnome that will clean your screen spotless when you're not looking. Kinda cool actually.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

LOL, I thought so!

Maybe it is something where the screen coating just "wears away" (for lack of a better term) and loses it's integrity over time...that's why my old IP4 felt grimey after 2 years of use, as opposed to the brand new IP5 feeling dry and clean all the time.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

The oleophobic coating is probably just more resistant compared to the one used on the iPhone 4.

I personally can't say since I always put a screen protector on my phones, so I never really touch the actual glass of the iPhone.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
ToniqR
macrumors member

Im much more impressed with the coating on the 5, I got mine on relase day still and havent needed to clean the screen yet at all. Much better the my old iphone 4.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone