Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:03 PM   #26
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

The gaming industry has grown in Europe; Germany and the UK are leading the market also in development, but even though there are plenty of violent games to choose from, European gamers all around don't have the same attitude about them as American gamers do. They don't have the need to identify with the player character and for the most part those characters and story lines are taken from American culture, which still is not part of our cultures/mentalities, hence we have the ability to enjoy them as what they're meant for, entertainment.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:57 AM   #27
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
There are ways to kill a grown adult that do not cause suffering. I assume you are A-OK with that too?
A grown adult is aware of his/her life and has an active desire to maintain the continuing state of living (unless they don't wish to live in which case yes I support their right to die).

A fetus or an embryo has no mind, no concept of life, and no drive to continue living.

If you have such regard for the sanctity of life I will assume you're a vegetarian/vegan, anti war, anti death penalty (correct?).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #28
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_piano295 View Post
A grown adult is aware of his/her life and has an active desire to maintain the continuing state of living (unless they don't wish to live in which case yes I support their right to die).

A fetus or an embryo has no mind, no concept of life, and no drive to continue living.

If you have such regard for the sanctity of life I will assume you're a vegetarian/vegan, anti war, anti death penalty (correct?).
Nope, not really.

I value human life, (including non-sentient fetuses). And I'd stop short of saying a fetus has no drive to continue living, because that's the main goal of all life, sentient or not. You may disagree, but that's how life works. I also know that there are people in hospitals all over the world who aren't necessary self aware anymore, but that doesn't mean that people can just end their lives out of convenience (unless that wish was made legally official by the person before they landed in their state). The idea that a lack of sentience, or ability to perceive pain, or an arbitrary gestational age makes it OK to kill a human being is lunacy to me.

I don't approve of the death penalty as a result of my views on human life. If only murderers had felt the same before they took someone else's.

I understand that consumption of animals is natural for humans. We're omnivorous creatures. But I do think animals deserve respect.

I wish we didn't have to fight wars but the rest of the world doesn't necessarily agree; this makes war necessary at times.

I guess you could say I'm against war in priciple, but not naive enough to think it can always be avoided.

Good enough?

Last edited by SLC Flyfishing; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:12 AM   #29
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Exactly. This is a huge multi-headed-beast of a problem. Not the least of which is easy access to guns and extreme violent media (has anyone ever noticed that these games play a lot like a mass shooting?).

There's also the poor state of our Marion's mental health infrastructure, the fact that we as a society view mental illness as some sort of weakness or character flaw rather than a legitimate medical problem beyond the patient's ability to control.

There's also the fact that we have a whole generation of kids growing up basically fatherless.

And that's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, I've lived in Europe, and I know that where I was, even though they had access to the same games/movies/music that we do here, most kids didn't own a game console. I don't think the consumption of violent media is anywhere near as widespread as it is in the states. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I'm all ears though.
Neither of these things is true.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:18 AM   #30
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Neither of these things is true.
Evidence?

I take it you are German? Show us some proof that these things are not true. When I lived in Western Europe about 10 years ago, gaming consoles were few and far between.

And most people I met had an aversion, rather than an attraction, to violence.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #31
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Evidence?

I take it you are German? Show us some proof that these things are not true. When I lived in Western Europe about 10 years ago, gaming consoles were few and far between.

And most people I met had an aversion, rather than an attraction, to violence.
You're forgetting, most hardcore gamers play on the PC. Remember the Counter Strike debacle? That was a right, ignorant mess.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #32
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Evidence? Show us some proof that these things are not true.
You didn't provide evidence (beyond anecdotal) to your original claim the Europe is less exposed to violent media.

You can't reasonably demand evidence to disprove your claim when you didn't provide evidence to prove it in the first place.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:42 AM   #33
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
You didn't provide evidence (beyond anecdotal) to your original claim the Europe is less exposed to violent media.

You can't reasonably demand evidence to disprove your claim when you didn't provide evidence to prove it in the first place.
I can when I phrased it the way I did. (The relevant part is bolded and colored since I'm sure you'd miss it otherwise.

Quote:
I don't think the consumption of violent media is anywhere near as widespread as it is in the states. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I'm all ears though.
I only have my n=1, and I will freely admit that my experience was not in Germany, but rather Portugal; still I don't think anyone can produce consumer pattern studies or anything that will disprove what I experienced. I'm very willing to be proven wrong though.

I hear plenty of people on here leaning on the idea that Europe has the same access to violent media as we do, and using that to push the blame squarely on guns. Not once have I seen anyone state whether or not Europeans consume violent media at similar rates to Americans, just that they have access to it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:50 AM   #34
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I can when I phrased it the way I did.
I see.

So if GermanyChris had said, "I don't think neither of these things is true."

You wouldn't have asked for evidence ... yes?

Let this be a lesson on how to include deniability in one's post.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:57 AM   #35
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I see.

So if GermanyChris had said, "I don't think neither of these things is true."

You wouldn't have asked for evidence ... yes?

Let this be a lesson on how to include deniability in one's post.
Don't be obtuse.

If he had included that, it would have absolved his need to provide evidence. Instead he stated his opinion as unarguable fact rather than personal opinion or experience.

I'm willing to research this topic, but I'm seeing patients this morning and only have my phone to search on. If I get time later I'll post up what I find.

If anyone else in the meantime wants to give it a go, I'm all ears.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:00 PM   #36
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Videogame-Cull

Quote:
But now the program has been canceled. The SouthingtonSOS group said in a statement that the response to the initiative has been "swift, positive and supportive," but that its two primary goals - raising awareness of violent videogames and "inspiring conversations at home" - have been accomplished, and thus the actual collection and destruction of games is unnecessary.

"Based on the success of our first two objectives, and a re-evaluation of the logistics involved in the physical return process, we have decided to cancel the return of violent video games on January 12, 2013," SouthingtonSOS said in a statement. "Having achieved our essential goals the return program has simply become an unnecessary step in our basic mission. This action will also serve to reduce public inconvenience."
Their reason true or not, I'm glad to see it cancelled.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues