Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
so, this all started with my fascination for the Element Ronin case for the iPhone 5.....
post-117-0-62869500-1357628382.jpg

post-117-0-08308600-1357628392.jpg

thing is i thought the case wouldn't have looked as good on my white iphone as it does on the black one. so, i did some looking on the net and found a solution at sticker boy. i ended up getting their, extreme fit, all over, anti bacterial matt black with the smooth finish. when you select that you have the option to get the screen protector with it. i thought that it would be part of the skin for the front side.

i was wrong. it actually is a separate piece that fits in the window of the front piece. i was a little disappointed , but everything else fit perfectly, so i gave it a try...

post-117-0-22607100-1357628467.jpg

post-117-0-18888200-1357628460.jpg

i was wrong again. as you can see above, the skin looks great on the white iPhone ....but the screen protector looked awful. for one, it didn't fit. it was to short , length wise. it was also cloudy and not clear at all. mind you, this was not an installation that needed water at all.

anyway, now i've got this great skin on the phone with no screen protection. any thoughts on a solution?

i was thinking of laying the Spigen Glass.tR on top of the front skin. i figure a regular screen protector wouldn't do too well because of the thickness of skin off of the phone's screen. and those things never seem to be big enough to go to the edges of the phones top surface....i think that would look crappy.

i know the Spigen Glass would. i just don't know how it would do with that thickness of the skin and the actual screen on the phone. would there be a gap of air there or would it stick down to it?

i could also take the front skin off, lay down the Spigen Glass, and put the front skin on top of it.

anyway, i could use some advice on how to make this situation work.

thanks.

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
so, this all started with my fascination for the Element Ronin case for the iPhone 5.....

thing is i thought the case wouldn't have looked as good on my white iphone as it does on the black one. so, i did some looking on the net and found a solution at sticker boy. i ended up getting their, extreme fit, all over, anti bacterial matt black with the smooth finish. when you select that you have the option to get the screen protector with it. i thought that it would be part of the skin for the front side.

i was wrong. it actually is a separate piece that fits in the window of the front piece. i was a little disappointed , but everything else fit perfectly, so i gave it a try...

i was wrong again. as you can see above, the skin looks great on the white iPhone ....but the screen protector looked awful. for one, it didn't fit. it was to short , length wise. it was also cloudy and not clear at all. mind you, this was not an installation that needed water at all.

anyway, now i've got this great skin on the phone with no screen protection. any thoughts on a solution?

i was thinking of laying the Spigen Glass.tR on top of the front skin. i figure a regular screen protector wouldn't do too well because of the thickness of skin off of the phone's screen. and those things never seem to be big enough to go to the edges of the phones top surface....i think that would look crappy.

i know the Spigen Glass would. i just don't know how it would do with that thickness of the skin and the actual screen on the phone. would there be a gap of air there or would it stick down to it?

i could also take the front skin off, lay down the Spigen Glass, and put the front skin on top of it.

thanks.

My opinion would be, get the hishop hinh screen protector. it is self repair. Then only you lay the sticker boy vinyl onto the screen protector, thats what i did with my 4S last time (only difference is i was using icarbons that time).

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
My opinion would be, get the hishop hinh screen protector. it is self repair. Then only you lay the sticker boy vinyl onto the screen protector, thats what i did with my 4S last time (only difference is i was using icarbons that time).

i never heard of them before. checked a you tube review on it and it looks great. for one, the film actually seems to cover the whole surface of the front face of the phone....making it easier to lay a skin down on to of it.

looks real glossy too. thanks!

anyone else?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

thanks.

Your right about the Glass tR - if you lay it over the skin, it is not going to lay down flat and you will get loads of air bubbles.

If it was me, I would remove the skin, then install the Glass tR and then lay the skin on top of the it.

;)

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
yup, Dino F, that seems to be the best way to go. just lay the skin on top of the screen protector.

so what's better Glass.tr or the hinh screen protector? or is there a better 3rd option?

i like the Glass a lot....but from reading some posts here, it seems that install can be tedious with lint being eft on the phone screen. and at 35 bucks a shot that can be expensive.

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012

thanks.

Have you got the Ronin yet?

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Have you got the Ronin yet?

no...i just got my email from Element last night saying they shipped it out. i live in northern L.A. county, so i should probably get it tomorrow. or thursday at the latest.

i put my order in on Dec. 24th, making me one of the last in a batch that started shipping on the 27th. so i had to wait the full two weeks before they shipped mine out....but they did before they started shipping out the new batch. so can't complain.

i'll make sure to post detailed pics.

Gungai

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Have you considered waiting to see what the white iPhone looks like in the Ronin first? You may like the way it looks.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
A possible solution could be putting a screen protector under the front skin. Or you could get one of those screen protectors that have black areas everywhere but the screen (seen these for the 4/4S, not sure about 5).

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
no...i just got my email from Element last night saying they shipped it out. i live in northern L.A. county, so i should probably get it tomorrow. or thursday at the latest.

i put my order in on Dec. 24th, making me one of the last in a batch that started shipping on the 27th. so i had to wait the full two weeks before they shipped mine out....but they did before they started shipping out the new batch. so can't complain.

i'll make sure to post detailed pics.

I placed the order and was one of the 7th January orders and it just got shipped last night.. Ill be using it on the white iPhone too, I don't think it's a big concern for me of it not looking that great. But I still think we're going to be surprised and it will look its part..

And if you're looking for screen protectors that cover the whole phone and is a screen protector as well.. Just use the Moshi iVisor AG or XT or something like that.. It'll only show the true color of your phone in the earpiece!

ogamiitto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Have you considered waiting to see what the white iPhone looks like in the Ronin first? You may like the way it looks.

i can visualize pretty well, so i'm pretty sure how it would look. also, Element finally released an image with the Ronin on a white iPhone. it's posted here i believe. it's fine....just not as good as the black one.

if i ever do want to rock the case with the white one, hey...i can always take off the skin :)

----------

A possible solution could be putting a screen protector under the front skin. Or you could get one of those screen protectors that have black areas everywhere but the screen (seen these for the 4/4S, not sure about 5).

yeah, i think that's the way i'm going to go. rjbeh and Dino F above, seem to agree as well.

----------

I placed the order and was one of the 7th January orders and it just got shipped last night.. Ill be using it on the white iPhone too, I don't think it's a big concern for me of it not looking that great. But I still think we're going to be surprised and it will look its part..

And if you're looking for screen protectors that cover the whole phone and is a screen protector as well.. Just use the Moshi iVisor AG or XT or something like that.. It'll only show the true color of your phone in the earpiece!

post some pics when you get it. we need some better ones than what element is supplying :)

i'll check those screen protectors out. thanks for the advice.

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
i can visualize pretty well, so i'm pretty sure how it would look. also, Element finally released an image with the Ronin on a white iPhone. it's posted here i believe. it's fine....just not as good as the black one.

if i ever do want to rock the case with the white one, hey...i can always take off the skin :)

----------

yeah, i think that's the way i'm going to go. rjbeh and Dino F above, seem to agree as well.

----------

post some pics when you get it. we need some better ones than what element is supplying :)

i'll check those screen protectors out. thanks for the advice.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16649859/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.