Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Frankly i'd rather see more of the journalists 'touch' around Macrumors, not to the point of a Gizmodo article but the articles of late here seem written by a robot.

Unfortunately, it seems that "journalist touch" has come to mean injecting personal opinions and biases into what purports to be straight reportage.

It seems that the idea of at least attempting objective reporting is a thing of the past. The "news", which used to be reported, in both print and TV, with at least an attempt at objectivity is not something with which the current generation had any experience. Having been brought up on news which is more entertainment than anything else, and blogs, which don't even make a pass at objectivity...anything lacking in editorializing is anathema

Yes, total objectivity is impossible, and even Cronkite and Murrow editorialized...but they labeled it as such. Attempting to present information in an unbiased and (as much as possible) objective manner is now considered "robotic". It used to be considered news reporting.

Yes, I'm an old fart from another era with opinions formed from experience of another era.:p:D

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I think everyone is crazy. Though it would take time for there to find more uses, I think the tablet would be great for a lot of things.

I, for one love playing Settlers and resetting the board every time is tedious. The iPad is just too small to play it comfortably on with friends, so this would be sweet.

If they can get the price down as low as possible, maybe in the $600-$700 range, throw in a ton of free board games (like settlers) which have in app purchases (give the basic Settlers but the Cities & Knights expansion would be extra) and I bet it would actually sell over time.

Maybe a 20" screen? They could help the price. If they can do a 15" laptop for $200, I am sure they could do a 20" tablet for $700 (considering bigger screens can be cheap if in bulk).

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I think everyone is crazy. Though it would take time for there to find more uses, I think the tablet would be great for a lot of things.

I, for one love playing Settlers and resetting the board every time is tedious. The iPad is just too small to play it comfortably on with friends, so this would be sweet.

I was thinking the same thing.... SETTLERS!!!

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone know why it would lose even 10%? If it's a gas canister then surely it shouldn't lose anything over the course of a year.

Apologies if I'm being thick!

Maybe the gas changes to different forms while stored in the tank that are not as energy efficient means of power generation, thus lowering the overall charge capacity. :confused:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
At least you can't seem to get 'gorilla arm' with the table-t...

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
There is no way the Lenovo IdeaCenter is the future, especially If it's running some Lenovo junk software..

I am honestly shocked every-time I see HP, Dell or Lenovo adding their own multi-touch software & interface..

Windows 8 is a much better experience for Table PC's, generally the included software on a lot of these Touch screen PC's really suck, they are practically useless in my opinion..

ar3ar2

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
299 for a charger + you need to pay 9.99 per 10 charges.

GREAT if you're in the jungle and/or somewhere without power often (assuming you also have a cellular tower where it would make sense to still carry you cell)

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. The only use case I can think of is if you need offline maps and GPS. Also, it would be better if the cannister could be refilled.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
"Absurd" ?!

Seriously it's not your job to make such comments

You bring us the news

We make the judgements

He didn't say it was absurd. He said 'it seems absurd'... and then went on to praise it. It's just a writer's turn of phrase.

Methinks your English comprehension could use some work before you start criticising others. :rolleyes:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

If they can get the price down as low as possible, maybe in the $600-$700 range, throw in a ton of free board games (like settlers) which have in app purchases (give the basic Settlers but the Cities & Knights expansion would be extra) and I bet it would actually sell over time.

Maybe a 20" screen? They could help the price. If they can do a 15" laptop for $200, I am sure they could do a 20" tablet for $700 (considering bigger screens can be cheap if in bulk).

Playing TBS is awesome on a touch screen. I am talking real in depth strategy. I play Civilization 5 on my surface from my bed all the time. Good stuff. I can see the board game appeal for this though.

----------

Nectar power is being spun to seem better than it really is.

The web site quotes '55000 mWh'

mWh isn't a standard measure for capacity in this sort of device. Most portable chargers use mAh... which for a 5v charger is 1/5th the rating.

So Nectar's 55000mWh $299 device has the same capacity as a 50-buck regular battery based 11000mAh charger.

It'll only cost you a few cents to recharge that too.

I like how they cram in every popular device they could think of in the title to make it more relevant in search.

Based on the reviews of that thing it seems it is only good for about one recharge and even then it isn't to 100% The Nectar on the other hand boasts it can recharge your phone to full multiple times and keep you running "off the grid" for up to 2 weeks. Whether those claims or true I do not know. Regardless thanks for the link, it is pretty awesome.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Nectar power is being spun to seem better than it really is.

The web site quotes '55000 mWh'

mWh isn't a standard measure for capacity in this sort of device. Most portable chargers use mAh... which for a 5v charger is 1/5th the rating.

So Nectar's 55000mWh $299 device has the same capacity as a 50-buck regular battery based 11000mAh charger.

It'll only cost you a few cents to recharge that too.

That's a good point

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
the 27" tablet is a prime example of throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks--only you didn't need to actually ship a product to know that this would not stick.

There is zero business value in this product. The max addressable market would be < 100 million, which is chump change for Lenovo. So why even bother? A company that larget would hopefully be smart enough to know that making a product like this would not move their needle or stock price at all.

So they must feel like they will get some R&D value or supply chain value or publicity value or first mover advantage that will pay for itself in the future? No idea what they are thinking. This product is better off in a specialty market and not better off being shown at CES. Restaurants? Arcades like Dave & Busters? Sporting events? Newsrooms? Hotels? But not my living room.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
He didn't say it was absurd. He said 'it seems absurd'... and then went on to praise it. It's just a writer's turn of phrase.

Methinks your English comprehension could use some work before you start criticising others. :rolleyes:

"It seems absurd when you first hear about it -- a 27" Table PC from Lenovo -- essentially a 27" tablet that you place on your tabletop. It runs Windows 8 and can also stand up to be used as a more traditional computer. "

But he wrote "It runs Windows 8" :confused: It seems negative to me because I like Windows 7 :p

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
There is no way the Lenovo IdeaCenter is the future, especially If it's running some Lenovo junk software..

I am honestly shocked every-time I see HP, Dell or Lenovo adding their own multi-touch software & interface..

Windows 8 is a much better experience for Table PC's, generally the included software on a lot of these Touch screen PC's really suck, they are practically useless in my opinion..

I agree, that is why the Microsoft Store is so awesome. If you ever order from them or walk into a store you get the "Microsoft Signature" which is basically just stock Windows 8. Cannot blame these OEMs though. Only tech geeks like use have a real big problem with this. Your average consumer drone could care less and these OEMs need something to differentiate themselves from the rest.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I would love a larger iPad, maybe 15-17 inches, super thin, very trekkie.

This is of course too large but works as a cool bar table top.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Pen-based gesture computer

I think there's a market for pen-based gesture computers. Kids like to draw and paint. Sell low-end models at Toysrus. Sell high-end models to artists and animators.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
That table-let is huge.

Not sure there would be any practical reason to have one in your home.

Remember this quote. Something like this will be standard in many houses in a few years. You have tables now, right? A nice coffee table costs $500, say. Well a coffee table that does this might be $500 in the not too distant future. Why not have a whole bunch of the surfaces in your house have this function once the price gets dropped far enough?

I can't believe this thing is only $1700 right now. So let's say it drops by half every three years, so in less than a decade you could add something like this to any table without really adding that much to the price of the table. Sign me up!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This is what happens when your fav company goes too coporate. Mr.Cook is too busy playing politic game + money grabber that this company stop innovating and stop caring for it's own passion(which btw is gone w/ Steve gone) and follow the money..

Again, I look for other company when trying out fantastic ideas..

An iMac with a touchscreen is a fantastic idea?

So you have this on your desk. Now you want to play a game. Are you really going to carry it downstairs and back every time? Seems like it is just waiting to get busted.

Other companies are great at things that look cool on a showroom floor, but are impractical in everyday usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.