Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
According to this article, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has just sold over 30 million units.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-sales-top-30m-units

Hitting the 30m marker well ahead of its Samsung Galaxy S2 predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is now firmly the company’s most successful handset to date as speculation and expectation grows around the Apple rival’s next flagship model, the heavily rumoured Samsung Galaxy S4.

Confirming the new milestone marker, Michael Abary, a Senior Vice President of Samsung America said: “The Galaxy S3 is the world’s bestselling smartphone with 30 million sold to date.

Only it's not.... the iPhone 4s sold 37 million just in its first quarter. And the iPhone 5 is projected to have sold 58 million+ just in 2012.

Why does Samsung have to lie?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Samsung are notorious for being Apple-wannabes. They want to prance around like they are top s*** but really they are just another Android manufacturer whose phones sell more than other Android devices because they have enough advertising money.

:p

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Actually, I think Samsung SIII's worldwide have sold more than the iphone 5 worldwide.

Apple plays in the high-end market, and they do not have the ubiquitous distribution that the SIII has. Apple claims they are not after marketshare, and the stats that I have seen demonstrate this. They make a TON of profits (the point of most businesses, esp publicly traded ones), but they do not have the largest marketshare, nor do they sell the most units.

The route to world domination that both companies are taking have yet to be proven wrong or right. Samsung: sell the most phones, and you have the foundation for continued money. You get economy of scale, phone ecosystem lockin with accessories and apps, and you can make boatloads of profits b/c everyone has your phone everywhere, at a price that others can't match. This is the traditional way of doing business. I think that this model has the most growth potential. Outside of the ipod, Apple does not have a product that enjoys world domination. The masses matter, and as a luxury purveyor, experience shows that luxury brands do not enjoy world domination. They enjoy a fine good life, and one that I'd trade mine for, but not world domination that so many people think is necessary to validate that one company "wins" over another.

Apple: if you make the best product, it'll eventually win out in the marketplace, regardless of the price. As long as you don't make it 100 times the price of the competitor, then people will come up with the money to buy your product (and hand you huge profits per phone sold). You just have to make sure that your product really stands out. This way, the cream rises to the top, and eventually you'll reach a huge marketshare, and make even huger profits. Quality trumps all, more than marketshare, b/c if it's high enough quality,huge marketshare is an inevitable byproduct. The price sensitivity of consumers isn't a huge concern.
A couple of problems with this approach: people are always price sensitive, even rich people. There are many rich people who still want value and retain cheapskate mentalities. People want a deal. It's human nature and you can't get rid of it. Second, it's getting harder and harder to justify value in the tech world as hardware components are virtually identical now, and it's just inevitable that the competition reaches parity over time in the software segment. People copy, people combine, and true gamechanging originality is not confined to one company for very long. It's a social world more than ever, and no one has a monopoly on innovation. Heck, I'd wager HEAVILY that Google is the company who is doing the most innovating. They truly revolutionized search, The maps, streetview, the self-driving cars (they really work well). These are total gamechangers. Hinging on you being able to one-up everyone else is a hard act to keep up. It's just easier to bring someone down than to stay up on top.

You're seeing the limits now of Apple's strategy. People are seeing Apple's products as nice and slick, and maybe slicker, but not slick enough to pay alot more for. One could argue that much of Apple's advantage is just more refined physical design, which when applied at the population level, most people don't care THAT much about. Those who care that much will again be a minority of the market.
Android, which I HATED, in every way shape and form--the cold, robotic look, the nonsensical back button, the ugly handsets, the ugly crashing apps, the poorer quality screens, etc have all been fixed. All. And it's still way cheaper with way more choice.
As much as I hate to say it, Android is not inferior to iOS any longer, and they have reached parity. yet Android is cheaper, both the software and hardware. There is a reason why Android has accelerating momentum and marketshare. Regardless of how people try to spin it, having marketshare can ONLY be a good thing and from such a foundation lots of things can be launched to solidify and grow a platform. Even if you can grant that iOS and Android are equivalent, when you factor in the value proposition, Android eeks out ahead and the masses appear to be realizing that. Yes, Android got its start b/c the phone companies wanted more control and pushed Android. But eventually quality does matter, and Android to its credit is now a quality prpoduct and stands on its own two feet. Android gambled with the lets gain marketshare first with a good-enough albeit flea market feel, and then refine it later. That gameplan looks like it is working.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just out of interest, where did you get those figures from? Please.

iPhone 4s numbers from Apple's own quarterly report from Q1 2012.

http://investor.apple.com/results.cfm

iPhone 5 numbers are just from analysts so far. Apple will release those numbers next week.

Q1 2012 - 37 million
Q2 2012 - 35 million
Q3 2012 - 26 million
Q3 2012 - 27 million
Total 2012 - 125 million
This includes ALL iPhones. Apple doesn't break down the numbers - you have to look to analysts for that.

Apple sold the 3GS, 4 and 4s during those quarters. If all sold equally, each phone sold about 42 million. If they sold un-equally, at least ONE phone had minimum of 43 million. Much more than 30 million for the Samsung Galaxy S3

----------

Actually, I think Samsung SIII's worldwide have sold more than the iphone 5 worldwide.

The 30 million is the WORLDWIDE number for Samsung Galaxy S3.
The 58 million is the WORLDWIDE number for the iPhone 5. (We will have to wait until next week's quarterly report by Apple to be sure)

Just because you WANT something to be, doesn't make it to be.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
According to this article, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has just sold over 30 million units.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-sales-top-30m-units

Only it's not.... the iPhone 4s sold 37 million just in its first quarter. And the iPhone 5 is projected to have sold 58 million+ just in 2012.

Why does Samsung have to lie?

1. The S3 crossed the 30 million mark in October. We don't know what the total was for 2012.

2. Apple sold 5 million iphone 5's opening weekend. We have no other official figures from Apple, so we don't know what the 2012 total was.

3. Fiscal year and calendar year are not the same. One manufacturer may have sold more in a fiscal year, but not a caledar year.

4. Why does Apple have to lie, cheat and steal to get anything? Answer: because they are in a multi-trillion dollar global business. If you ain't lying', you ain't tryin'.

P.S. The iphone 5 won't have sold 58 million in 2012. Apple didn't even sell that many iphones (all of them combined!) in Q2 AND Q3 of 2012. And never believe analysts numbers. The are all full of sh...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's not lying. Samsung's just omitting some inconvenient truths.

Exactly - technically, the GS3 was the best selling smartphone in the world during Q3 2012. The iPhone 5 had just been released and the iPhone 4S numbers took a hit because of the iP5 release.

So they use the numbers from YTD sales and the fact they were the best selling smartphone in the world in Q3 and squash them together to make the sentence the Samsung exec said....

But as the OP points out, the iPhone 4S sold more YTD in 2011 (it was released in October) than the GS3 did YTD in 2012 (released in May). And since there are no numbers on the 5 yet, the exec's specific claim of "Best selling smartphone in the world" was a conveniently timed, deviously crafted truth.

When all numbers are released and we look back on the most successful smartphone of 2012, I'd be willing to bet it won't be the Samsung Galaxy S3....

Now - if only Google (LG) could make more than 400k Nexus 4's in 3 months I'd be a happier camper....

----------

1. The S3 crossed the 30 million mark in October. We don't know what the total was for 2012.

I saw the 30 million number as of November 2, 2012.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3593096/samsung-galaxy-s-III-30-million-sales

EDIT: The OP's link is as of CES 2013 - either means the Samsung execs aren't sure how many they've sold and are going with an old number at their announcement, or they didn't really sell many since October.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
The quote was that the Galaxy S3 was the world's best selling smartphone and for the 3rd quarter of 2012 that was true. It didn't say it was the best selling smartphone for all of 2012. Also 58 million iPhone 5's is beyond absurd.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The quote was that the Galaxy S3 was the world's best selling smartphone and for the 3rd quarter of 2012 that was true.

Then he should have said 'Best selling smart phone in the 3rd quarter of 2012.' Leaving the last part out makes it a lie.

ANY PHONE could be the 'best selling' if you cherry-picked the appropriate time. For example, cherry-pick just the first day of iPhone 5 sales. They probably sold 10x the Galaxy S3 that one day. Can Tim Cook come out and say, 'The iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the world - beating any competitor 10 to 1' if he didn't include 'on the first day'.

----------

Thats all iPhones, not just iPhone 4S, right?

:rolleyes:

I broke down ALL the Apple iPhones. One of the iPhones HAD TO SELL at least 42 million. Basic math. And if the 3S sold the 42 million, then the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s split the other 83 million.

Irregardless, 30 million does not make the 'best selling smartphone'.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Then he should have said 'Best selling smart phone in the 3rd quarter of 2012.' Leaving the last part out makes it a lie.

ANY PHONE could be the 'best selling' if you cherry-picked the appropriate time. For example, cherry-pick just the first day of iPhone 5 sales. They probably sold 10x the Galaxy S3 that one day. Can Tim Cook come out and say, 'The iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the world - beating any competitor 10 to 1' if he didn't include 'on the first day'.

----------

I broke down ALL the Apple iPhones. One of the iPhones HAD TO SELL at least 42 million. Basic math. And if the 3S sold the 42 million, then the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s split the other 83 million.

How many "#1 movies" do you hear about? Do you hear them say #1 movie of the 3rd week of July?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
"Best selling smartphone in the world" without indicating any time period can only possibly mean TOTAL sales (i.e. since it was released).

If the iPhone 4S has been sold more times in total than the S3, it was a lie.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

That doesn't make it a lie. Saying it is the all time best selling phone is a lie. Most executives do the same thing. They phrase things in a way to make their product look best while not making a completely false statement.

Clearly everyone here won't agree. I'm not saying that the statement isn't very misleading but I don't think its an outright lie.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Irregardless, 30 million does not make the 'best selling smartphone'.

No, this is what you said;

the iPhone 4s sold 37 million just in its first quarter.

Your quote says nothing about iP3GS or iP4, it specifically states "the iPhone 4s sold 37 million just in the first quarter" Do you agree that is what you said?

You are doing what you are claiming Samsung are doing, you are cherry picking figures. you cant have it both ways and be taken seriously.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No, this is what you said;

Your quote says nothing about iP3GS or iP4, it specifically states "the iPhone 4s sold 37 million just in the first quarter" Do you agree that is what you said?

You are doing what you are claiming Samsung are doing, you are cherry picking figures. you cant have it both ways and be taken seriously.

I'm not saying the 4s is the best selling smartphone, I'm saying that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is DEFINITELY NOT. Do you dispute this?

----------

How many "#1 movies" do you hear about? Do you hear them say #1 movie of the 3rd week of July?

This is completely different.

If your song, book or movie hits #1 on the charts in a single week, you can always claim it as a '#1 best seller' and people know what you're talking about. The same doesn't apply to cell phones.

If it did, I guess we can put the title of '#1 best seller' on all the smart phones.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'm not saying the 4s is the best selling smartphone, I'm saying that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is DEFINITELY NOT. Do you dispute this?

I dispute your figures saying that the iPhone 4s sold 37 million phones in its first quarter. You said that right? Don't try to turn it around on to something that I have not said, my point had nothing to do with Samsung, it was all about what you quoted. Basically, you are guilty of doing what you claim Samsung are doing. I wont be answering you further.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

----------

This is completely different.

If your song, book or movie hits #1 on the charts in a single week, you can always claim it as a '#1 best seller' and people know what you're talking about. The same doesn't apply to cell phones.

The same doesn't apply because it goes against what you're saying. Phil Schiller said the iPhone 5 was the world's thinnest smartphone but that wasn't true. Were you mad at Apple for lying?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The other very large difference between the Android makers and Apple is how sales are reported. Only Amazon kind of avoids this but not reporting any numbers other than very vague terms like "record selling weekend"

Apple reports units sold largely through retail direct to end-users and businesses. The others claim channel sales and that mean inventory sitting on shelves in carrier stores, best buys, walmarts etc.

The latter is a much different number than the former.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
The other very large difference between the Android makers and Apple is how sales are reported. Only Amazon kind of avoids this but not reporting any numbers other than very vague terms like "record selling weekend"

Apple reports units sold largely through retail direct to end-users and businesses. The others claim channel sales and that mean inventory sitting on shelves in carrier stores, best buys, walmarts etc.

The latter is a much different number than the former.

This is also something that is misleading but still isn't a lie. Just because AT&T hasn't sold a phone yet does that mean that Samsung didn't sell it to AT&T? Apple's way of reporting sales is more accurate but a phone sitting in a carrier's inventory is a sale for the manufacturer.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Samsung are notorious for being Apple-wannabes.

How are they Apple wannabes when they do things BEFORE Apple?

Panoramic camera, taking pictures while shooting video, and some still hasn't caught up with nfc.

In fact, when was the last time Apple brought a new feature to the iphone?

Maybe it wasn't the best selling, who cares when it's the best?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The quote was that the Galaxy S3 was the world's best selling smartphone and for the 3rd quarter of 2012 that was true. It didn't say it was the best selling smartphone for all of 2012. Also 58 million iPhone 5's is beyond absurd.

I watched it, he never said for the 3rd quarter of 2012. He said 30 million sold to date. No mention of a quarter. Regardless it is a fantastic feat for a single phone.

----------

Samsung are notorious for being Apple-wannabes. They want to prance around like they are top s*** but really they are just another Android manufacturer whose phones sell more than other Android devices because they have enough advertising money.

Yea I am sure they sell well only because Samsung advertises them a lot. In that same line of thinking you could say the same thing about Apple devices. They only sell because we see tons of dancing iPod commercials and iOS devices using revolutionary secondary microphones and innovative panorama camera modes. Give me a break.

Can you show the court on the doll where the big ole bad Samsung touched you at? Someone is rump frustrated and needs a nap, don't forget your iPillow and your iBinkey.

----------

This is also something that is misleading but still isn't a lie. Just because AT&T hasn't sold a phone yet does that mean that Samsung didn't sell it to AT&T? Apple's way of reporting sales is more accurate but a phone sitting in a carrier's inventory is a sale for the manufacturer.

Don't you know, Samsung only reports shipped! All those sold phones are just sitting on shelves. People obviously do not buy these phones. Retailers just keep ordering them to pack their shelves and warehouses because the box looks pretty. In fact they keep having to build new storage to fit all of these millions and millions of unsold phones sitting in inventory.

:rolleyes:

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I watched it, he never said for the 3rd quarter of 2012. He said 30 million sold to date. No mention of a quarter. Regardless it is a fantastic feat for a single phone.

----------

I know that he didn't mention a quarter. My point was that in the third quarter it was the best selling smartphone so while misleading what he said wasn't completely false.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.