Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why are many people foolish enough to think that SGS3 is a better phone than the iPhone 5? iPhone 5 is definitely a better phone and I have tried both phones... SGS3 is laggy and many Android apps are buggy

Do you have any....I don't know, "examples" or just a blanket statement?

Some people are or feel too locked down down in iOS 6 (no jailbreak, hence the name jailbreak BTW) for it to be a good device to fit their needs. Or just any particular reason. For example I NEED to be able to email multiple PDF files in a single email for work. Since this ever so complicated task (sarcasm) is impossible in iOS I need to carry a laptop or Android or any mobile OS aside iOS for that matter to do this. I chose an Android tablet. Someone else may NEED to have the best current maps with the best most accurate POI's...

Point being either phone is only better for what its being used to do. Only a foolish person would generalize that their needs are one size fits all....

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS :rolleyes: Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks

Was there an answer to this question? I have done a search and played around with contacts but couldn't see the option anywhere

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I like to the integrated smooth feel of the iPhone. But I prefer the S3 with it's bigger screen, removable battery and options of customization. I just couldn't justify the high price of the iPhone anymore. Also, iOS starts to feel a bit boring and I have been very impressed with the overal stability and fuidity of Jelly Bean. Great phone! So unless Apple does something different with iOS and pricing, I can't see myself having an iPhone in the future.

I'm not ready to trade in my iPad tho. The app selection is just too good and I love the guestures.

And ofcourse, much love to my Mac (who is getting a HDD replacement :rolleyes:)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Was there an answer to this question? I have done a search and played around with contacts but couldn't see the option anywhere

Yes, S Voice can do all of that. Some of what you ask is done through Google Now, and others are done through the calendar or tasks.

The sad part is that it's not as useful as I'd like. Much like iOS, I have to say too much to complete the task.

Steps:
1) Press home button twice and wait for chime
2) Say "Remind me about dinner with wife"
3) Wait for S Voice to acknowledge
4) S Voice confirms what I say then asks if that's what I want
5) Say "Yes"

Too many steps, but I know that they are necessary. Worked the same for me with Siri. Then, some of the tasks are completed through a Google search, instead of bringing up a relevant app, although, you can just ask S Voice to open the app.

One thing S Voice can't do that it should is send an email AFAIK.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Yes, S Voice can do all of that. Some of what you ask is done through Google Now, and others are done through the calendar or tasks.

The sad part is that it's not as useful as I'd like. Much like iOS, I have to say too much to complete the task.

Steps:
1) Press home button twice and wait for chime
2) Say "Remind me about dinner with wife"
3) Wait for S Voice to acknowledge
4) S Voice confirms what I say then asks if that's what I want
5) Say "Yes"

Too many steps, but I know that they are necessary. Worked the same for me with Siri. Then, some of the tasks are completed through a Google search, instead of bringing up a relevant app, although, you can just ask S Voice to open the app.

One thing S Voice can't do that it should is send an email AFAIK.

Ah right cool. Excellent Thanks

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I took delivery of my new Samsung Galaxy S3 on Saturday (Though my memory card still ain't arrived. So much for guaranteed delivery Amazon) and am really impressed so far. I've had iPhones since the 3G and got my iPhone 5 on launch day and just got bored of it really and fancied a change.

I've never played with an Android phone for more than 5 minutes in a shop so never really got what it's all about. The customisation options are endless. It's superb. Though the change to Android has not been an easy one. We run mostly Apple equipment (27" iMac, 13" Air, iPad 2, iPad mini, 4 x iPods, Apple TV) and making the switch to the GS3 has been tricky. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I recon once I'm used to how everything works Ill be much happier.

Also love the handset itself. Very iPhone 3G like in its general shape/design albeit significantly bigger.

But yeah. Definitely impressed so far.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I took delivery of my new Samsung Galaxy S3 on Saturday (Though my memory card still ain't arrived. So much for guaranteed delivery Amazon) and am really impressed so far. I've had iPhones since the 3G and got my iPhone 5 on launch day and just got bored of it really and fancied a change.

I've never played with an Android phone for more than 5 minutes in a shop so never really got what it's all about. The customisation options are endless. It's superb. Though the change to Android has not been an easy one. We run mostly Apple equipment (27" iMac, 13" Air, iPad 2, iPad mini, 4 x iPods, Apple TV) and making the switch to the GS3 has been tricky. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I recon once I'm used to how everything works Ill be much happier.

Also love the handset itself. Very iPhone 3G like in its general shape/design albeit significantly bigger.

IMO the s3 is the best phone to make the switch to (that or the note II). They really do not have much of a learning curve and samsung put some bad ass features into the phone.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Most of my friends and associates are true Apple enthusiasts with large investments in computers and iOS devices.

That said, it's really been an eye opener to watch as they switch to the Galaxy S 3 and find themselves both impressed and delighted with the progress that Android has made.

I've been holding out, although I must admit I don't know how much longer I will. The larger, faster, smoother S 3 is very tempting.

Now with rumors buzzing about the upcoming S 4, I may cave in and buy one of those upon release, to replace my iPhone 5. I've had every iPhone to date and enjoyed them all.

Yet I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm impressed with ver 4.2.1 of Jelly Bean. Android has come a long way and has all the features that appeal to me.

Time will tell.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Most of my friends and associates are true Apple enthusiasts with large investments in computers and iOS devices.

That said, it's really been an eye opener to watch as they switch to the Galaxy S 3 and find themselves both impressed and delighted with the progress that Android has made.

I've been holding out, although I must admit I don't know how much longer I will. The larger, faster, smoother S 3 is very tempting.

Now with rumors buzzing about the upcoming S 4, I may cave in and buy one of those upon release, to replace my iPhone 5. I've had every iPhone to date and enjoyed them all.

Yet I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm impressed with ver 4.2.1 of Jelly Bean. Android has come a long way and has all the features that appeal to me.

Time will tell.

It's really what many have been predicting for a few years now. That exclusivity with AT&T may have helped Apple drive up the drooling hype that a fanboy like myself had when the iPhone first came to market, but in the end it may have limited the device's reach to a broader audience.

If I didn't have to wait almost 4 years to get the phone on Sprint, I may not have picked up my first "alternative to iOS" handset almost three years ago, and then Android soon after.

It's like a repeat of what happened to Apple in the early 90's . . . the market got "inspiration" from Apple, but soon after started doing it's own innovation and revolutionizing and took off to leave Apple a few paces behind.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Its good to have competition. I always go back n forth between the two devices. They both have their differences that make them unique.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
You can set relationships by doing the following:
In Contacts
Scroll to bottom and Choose the "Add Field" (touch or click on the + sign)
Choose "Related People"
Choose the "relationship type" and either enter the name or click on the blue chevron to choose from your other contacts.

It's pretty easy actually.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Different screen sizes (ie consumes more power). Also android always does a lot more in the background like widget updating, google now etc that are not present in IOS.

One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not "waiting" per se, as my iPhone 5 is doing the job. Yet I'm watching the S4 rumors closely since I will most likely be ready for Android by then.
I'm due for an upgrade from my iPhone 4 and I want a larger screen. I'm going to give Android a try for the first time ever. The only remaining question is, which phone??

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK

Define heavy use. I used to be able to run my iPhone 5 down in a day quite easily with no gaming.

You can set relationships by doing the following:
In Contacts
Scroll to bottom and Choose the "Add Field" (touch or click on the + sign)
Choose "Related People"
Choose the "relationship type" and either enter the name or click on the blue chevron to choose from your other contacts.

It's pretty easy actually.

Thanks. I found this option when I migrated my contacts from iCloud to Gmail.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS :rolleyes: Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks

The only thing it can't do out of your list is location based reminders and i'm not sure about the mom and dad thing. I never tried it because my contact for my mom is called mom so when I way text mom it does it.

Location based reminders is something that it REALLY needs. It's the only thing I miss from moving from the iPhone.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Anyone used Easy Phone Sync app to sync their SG3 with iTunes?

My 64Gb memory card arrived today so now looking to begin to fill it.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
My upgrade is due in June and I've been itching to try an Android this time around. Might have to see what the S4 is going to be like but I have someone that wants to trade their Note 2 for my i5.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Location based reminders is something that it REALLY needs. It's the only thing I miss from moving from the iPhone.

I don't know if it's the same for some, but it does have location based alarms.

Anyone used Easy Phone Sync app to sync their SG3 with iTunes?

My 64Gb memory card arrived today so now looking to begin to fill it.

I know the feeling. Having 80GB of raw space is wonderful. I used iSyncr until I hopped on the Google Music wagon.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I know the feeling. Having 80GB of raw space is wonderful. I used iSyncr until I hopped on the Google Music wagon.

It turns out that its a very handy piece of software. Can do music, photos, calendar entries etc but find everything but the music quite untidy. The OCD in me doesnt like mess, so just use it for music and I manually export events in iPhoto to the memory card on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.