Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I never understand people who post BS about how someone should just be happy and get over whatever their complaint it, especially in this case when it involves OP's mom. I also have an elderly mom, and any time I think some is trying to rook her, I get steamed.

Good for you for getting involved, OP.

----------

Not a blame the OP post, but if you knew she had no idea what she was doing, why did you let her go alone?

Did you read his post? His mom decided to go on her own.

Paul**

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Not a blame the OP post, but if you knew she had no idea what she was doing, why did you let her go alone?

I should have done, but i had no idea she was actually going to buy. She's been talking about ipads for a year and so though i told her what she should get if she got one i was under the impression the conversation was still hypothetical.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Too much text.

But keep in mind, your mother is probably over 40, if not over 50. Her eyes probably can't appreciate the Retina pixel density. So if she saved money are the perfectly capable iPad 2. All the better.

Actually, you are wrong. When your eyesight isn't perfect, every little improvement in the screen helps. I find text on an rMBP much more readable than on an ordinary MBP with the same size screen.

It sounds like they don't have one, and as I've said in my post above there is no legal right to return unwanted goods. Stores that offer 14 or 30 day returns do so out of goodwill and good customer service. Sorry to bang on about it, but so many people get caught out by this because they think they have more protection than they really do.

Just saying: If the store _offers_ 14 or 30 days return, that is out of goodwill. But once they _offer_ this in the store, they actually have to do it. They can't offer returns, you buy the goods, and then they refuse.

Since you bought it inside of the EU, you are allowed to return the product for a full refund.

Where do you get that from? Only when you buy through mail order. Or if someone comes to your door and offers goods for sale. If _you_ go to the store and buy an item, that's a valid contract and nothing saves you (as long as everything the sales guys said are true).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to sound elitist on that one...I only mean due to the completitive nature of the US retail market, generally all stores have a favorable return policy.

Most stores do in the UK. Stores that rip off old ladies usually don't.

I don't know if this is allowed in the UK but i'd be tempted to hold up a sign in front of the store saying "These Guys Ripped Of My Mom". :)

That could be libel. You could hold up a sign "These guys sold my mum an iPad 2 for £369 which is sold everywhere else for £319". That's not libel, it just demonstrates that they are excellent businessmen :mad:

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Too much text.

But keep in mind, your mother is probably over 40, if not over 50. Her eyes probably can't appreciate the Retina pixel density. So if she saved money are the perfectly capable iPad 2. All the better.

What I recommended my parents, and they love.

Same processing power as iPad Mini... so 'old' is yes, but it's old enough to be an issue.

I'm 69 and I can certainly tell the difference and very much appreciate the retina display. I've seen this stated before and don't know where it comes from. If anything people with "old eyes" or poor vision can probably benefit most from a sharp screen. I love my iPad 4 and would not settle for the iPad 2 if the 4 was what I intended to buy.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
That's just horrible. Even more reason to just buy from an Apple store! Lots of these small business owners are unscrupulous.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
A sad story and if any positive can come from it, it would be the lesson that some people have zero morals and see others as cash cows.
I would say that the shop has commited a fraud or mis sold at best. Write a letter to the shop insisting on a full refund and threat of legal action (the CAB should be able to help) and inform them of your intend to protest outside the shop with flyers of the case.
If the shop has a history of poor service then try to get some support from other disastified customers. Pop into the police station for a chat they will know of bad reputation and should help you on advice too, a visit to the local MP on his surgery day could be helpful.
Dont rant have clear points on what happened and be strong in the insistance of a full refund. Get advice on what you can and cant say/print and this seems a case of making yorself as big a nusinsance as possible to get fairness.
Also check out the VAT fraud line as a visit from the VAT man is most shop owners worse fear, this is something i did when my letting agent failed to follow my instructions and resulted in loss of fixtures from my flat.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
To be honest I'd be massively p!ssed if that was me but if the item is unopened I'd probably march it back in there and show my displeasure.

Basically they've sold it by deception and I'd probably mention Trading Standards. Had similar things happen before and as soon as you mention Trading Standards, especially a small company they'll most likely take notice.

Good luck it mate, I'd be p!ssed off.

Oh and I'm not that far from Sevenoaks so I'll be steering clear of that shop!!

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I should have done, but i had no idea she was actually going to buy. She's been talking about ipads for a year and so though i told her what she should get if she got one i was under the impression the conversation was still hypothetical.

I think your mom just finally got tired of hinting to you that she either need A. Help buying one or B. for you to buy her one since you have so much tech.

Moral of the story is...we all need to love our moms a little more.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think your mom just finally got tired of hinting to you that she either need A. Help buying one or B. for you to buy her one since you have so much tech.

Moral of the story is...we all need to love our moms a little more.

Not fair to insinuate OP doesn't love his mom enough. We don't know enough about their relationship or this particular situation to make assessments like that. Sure, OP could have offered to buy his mom an iPad before it came to this, but she could have equally just asked him straight out, "come with me to by an iPad." Yes, there seems to have been some crossed signals here, but it seems unfair to assume the fault is all on the OP's side.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I hope that she learned to go to an Apple store. These resellers try to make a quick buck and try to take advantage of people. They're small time and don't have a reputation to hold up.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Not fair to insinuate OP doesn't love his mom enough. We don't know enough about their relationship or this particular situation to make assessments like that. Sure, OP could have offered to buy his mom an iPad before it came to this, but she could have equally just asked him straight out, "come with me to by an iPad." Yes, there seems to have been some crossed signals here, but it seems unfair to assume the fault is all on the OP's side.

Your humor machine clearly isn't working today.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
That's just horrible to hear, OP. I really hope it gets sorted out.

Found their twitter account for sales and support. Might be worth chasing them up on the phone and twitter until they give up.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Could always try trading standards or various other ombudsmums that we have in the UK.

Also remember international people, that even though UK is technical part of the geographical continent of Europe, we do have have some differences when it comes to our Laws to that of full member of the EU.

Also if brought with a Credit Card, I would explore your options with the Credit Company.

Failing that, go into the shop and calmly explain the situation (If you haven't already done so), dont get irate as that could make matters worse. If they still won't budge then explain how you will be approaching Trading standards and see if that helps to change there mind.

Kinda sad to read these kind of stories as it puts people off these independent stores (Who then complain they are being put out of busines by larger corporations). Kinda greatful I always buy my mum's electronic items or send her the direct URL of the product to buy online!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
thanks for the comments. The business was Accounts Computers trading as "Sevenoaks Computers". I'm going to get my Mum to try her credit card company, but my fear is that it's all a bit "he said, she said" for them to refund the purchase.

Selling something for a stupidly high price is not illegal and the fact that the wrong goods were provided is difficult to prove when both parties claim a different version events.

Give them twitter hell...... Or can I do it for you? I love a bit of twitter hell

These guys yeah?
https://twitter.com/7oaksComputers

get them trending on twitter for fraudulently selling an ipad 2 as a new ipad, they'll sort it out pretty damn quick ;)

Last edited:

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I guess my problem with the whole "Let's tear the vendor a new one" is that the iPad 2 is still available for purchase, and you can buy a new one (as opposed to refurbed or just used). Just because their price was higher than you can buy it at Apple isn't really their fault. Apple has contributed to this confusion with their versioning and lack of clarity in marketing.

So technically, she may have bought "a new iPad", even if it wasn't "the new iPad". Can't really judge without seeing the receipt and knowing how the conversation went in store. But anyone who spends three or four hundred pounds (or dollars or whatever) without understanding what they're buying is not being a very smart consumer... If I went into a car dealership and bought a car, I'd be pretty careful that I'm getting the 2013 model instead of the 2012 model, or I'd know why (and be getting an appropriate discount). I'd also be comparing prices with other dealerships. If I thought I was buying a 2013 model, my invoice said a 2013 model, but I found out later it was a 2012 model, THEN I'd be choked.

Clint

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
Too much text.

What I recommended my parents, and they love.

Same processing power as iPad Mini... so 'old' is yes, but it's old enough to be an issue.

Really? The dude's mum got taken advantage of by the store and they're just supposed to accept it?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

:( That could just as easily have been my parents. I'm not sure why, but they've always been a bit technophobic. I hope you get this straightened out. There isn't much to distinguish these at a glance for the uneducated buyer.

That's just horrible. Even more reason to just buy from an Apple store! Lots of these small business owners are unscrupulous.

Don't be too general. Some of them have been much more helpful to me than the Apple Store. Of course I'm fairly cautious, but they provide options.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Holy smokes. 64 is not elderly. Everybody makes mistakes. Sounds as if mom wanted it right now, didn't do her homework, (models and specs quite clearly set out on apple.com) and she got as she described, a new-to-her ipad from the unscrupulous dealer (it wasn't used was it?).

Try googling Consumer Rights in the Uk. In Canada, your old colony, for all purchases, there is what is called a "10 day cooling off period." Initially really intended to protect consumers of high pressure sales, especially door-to-door sales, it is widely useful.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
honestly... in the interest of making mom feel like "all is fine", i would take her ipad2, and tell her I would deal with it. I would make an attempt to work it out with store, if it didn't work out, I would buy her a new one myself, then sell the ipad2 as used (or keep for myself), and I would tell a white lie to her that I was able to work it out with the store, but, but it was very hostile and to never shop there again... I might even tell her we are banned from the shop.

I know it's not perfect, but I honestly think that is what I would do.

Good luck bro, and my mom is in her 80s and has an ipad and a computer, it's good for her to have something to fiddle with. Keep her in the game, don't let her get discouraged from this bad event.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
At least your mom go to a computer store. If I send my mom to buy an iPad, I am afraid that she would go to nearest fruit store and looking for "apple" product. :(

Macs4u

Suspended
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Try and make it faulty and take it back for a full refund. Under 28 days old and your entitled to a full refund. Also they are lumbered with a did iPad then. Sounds wrong to do this but they didn't care about ripping you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.