Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2013: Scosche Introduces Weatherproof BoomBOTTLE Speaker For Cyclists and Outdoor Enthusiasts

Scosche today unveiled its weatherproof boomBOTTLE, an omnidirectional outdoor speaker that is designed to fit in standard bicycle bottle cages, providing streaming music while biking, hiking, camping, and participating in other outdoor activities.

The boomBOTTLE incorporates 40mm drivers along with a passive subwoofer, and a built-in lithium-ion battery offers 10 hours of playback per charge.

Scosche's speaker has a durable TPU exterior that is designed to withstand vibrations from rough terrain riding and a splash proof casing makes it usable even when exposed to rain and sweat. Charging and audio ports remain accessible through a top flap.

With its built-in microphone, the boomBOTTLE can be used as a speakerphone, and it features Bluetooth connectivity with a range of 33 feet.

Scosche has also debuted RH1060 Reference Grade Bluetooth Headphones, a new wireless option for its line of reference grade headphones. The over-ear headphones use 40mm neodymium magnet drivers and feature ear cups made from viscoelastic memory foam.

The boomBOTTLE and the RH1060 Headphones are currently on display at CES, which lasts from January 8 to January 11. Pricing and release date have yet to be announced.

Article Link: CES 2013: Scosche Introduces Weatherproof BoomBOTTLE Speaker For Cyclists and Outdoor Enthusiasts
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Invator
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

Just what we need, noise when we want to relax outdoors...
Invator is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #3
capoeirista
macrumors 6502

"Wow, this cycle in the wilderness sure is thirsty work - I'd better have a drink, I don't want to dehydrate."

"Oh wait..."

"Curse my inability to not listen to music and just enjoy the peace and quiet of nature for more that five minutes at a time!"
capoeirista is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Lovely.... I already have to deal with bikers thinking they own the entire road, now I get to listen to them jamming to Michael Bolton too?
DesterWallaboo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
Lovely.... I already have to deal with bikers thinking they own the entire road, now I get to listen to them jamming to Michael Bolton too?
Captain Jack Sparrow!!!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
First off, I NEED the water bottle holder on my bike to hold my water bottle, hence the reason i put it there. Second of all, what benefit does this have to a solitary bike rider over headphones?
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Now you can listen to your biker buddy have epic fail.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
what benefit does this have to a solitary bike rider over headphones?
How about the ability to still hear the traffic around you?
This expensive water bottle provides a much safer way to listen to music while biking.
afireintonto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireintonto View Post
This expensive water bottle provides a much safer way to listen to music while biking.
Not to mention that it is ILLEGAL to wear headphones while riding in most jurisdictions. Bicycles move too fast for the riders to be unaware of their surroundings.

That being said, I also don't want to force the world around me to listen to my music while I ride. When I stop, though, or if I am inside on a trainer or rollers, this would be a good option. Earphones can slip out, headphones can get too sweaty.
SeanMcg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong with more bike accessories on the market even though I'd personally never rock a speaker like this. Not only are bike speakers better than headphones in that you can actually hear your surroundings, but like "DesterWallaboo" points out they make you a little more noticeable to others as well; peds and joggers do not like being buzzed by quiet cyclists (I use a bell). The speakerphone feature is interesting. I wonder if there's an alternate way to attach it to a bike without using a bottle cage.

I wonder what the sound quality is like, the handful of portable / bike speakers I've heard being used out in the world sound kinda junky.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by afireintonto View Post
Yeah except the "expensive water bottle" isn't even a water bottle. If it was a water bottle in addition to a speaker then that would be different. This thing just wastes the space on my bike where my water should be.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #12
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah except the "expensive water bottle" isn't even a water bottle. If it was a water bottle in addition to a speaker then that would be different. This thing just wastes the space on my bike where my water should be.
Assuming that you put it in the cage that you use for your main water bottle. The form factor allows it to be placed into any water bottle cage mounted anywhere. If you use a Camelbak, it can free up the cage for other uses, too.
SeanMcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Noise pollution is one of my pet peeves
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:46 PM   #14
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcg View Post
Assuming that you put it in the cage that you use for your main water bottle. The form factor allows it to be placed into any water bottle cage mounted anywhere. If you use a Camelbak, it can free up the cage for other uses, too.

People still use water bottles? 24 ounces isnt enough for a long ride, so I need the CamelBAK. This is an awesome idea, who cares if others can here your music?? I have to hear and feel every thug's music driving down the road.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

Interesting, but I'd never use it. Not that I don't want some tunes when I'm riding- since I ride to commute to work, I'm all too happy to have some good, fast music to ride along to. And I rarely use the water bottle holder anymore- as has already been pointed out, a CamelBAK holds a lot more and is a lot more convenient to use when riding than a traditional water bottle.

I'd never use it because I have a far better solution- a 'Soundbug' surface transducer mounted to my helmet that connects via BlueTooth and uses the helmet itself as a speaker while not interfering with my ability to hear my surroundings. Only real downside to it is that you can't do much besides adjust the volume on it, but once my Pebble gets here I should be able to control the playback from it while on the bike.
Ashyukun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:11 PM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I agree this is a great idea. Not everyone cycles for exploring / enjoying nature. If you cycle as your main means of transport or as a way of working out, I'm sure you'll appreciate being able to have your tunes with you.

As others have said, you can't hold enough water in the standard racks anyways, so you aught to find another way of taking water with you. I have a (manly) basket attached to the handlebars for water, maps, food, etc.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:43 PM   #17
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
Interesting, but I'd never use it. Not that I don't want some tunes when I'm riding- since I ride to commute to work, I'm all too happy to have some good, fast music to ride along to. And I rarely use the water bottle holder anymore- as has already been pointed out, a CamelBAK holds a lot more and is a lot more convenient to use when riding than a traditional water bottle.

I'd never use it because I have a far better solution- a 'Soundbug' surface transducer mounted to my helmet that connects via BlueTooth and uses the helmet itself as a speaker while not interfering with my ability to hear my surroundings. Only real downside to it is that you can't do much besides adjust the volume on it, but once my Pebble gets here I should be able to control the playback from it while on the bike.
That is a much better idea, thanks. Will have to look at doing something like that when I start commuting to work again in a few weeks.
Media Centre - 3Ghz i3 G5500 BluRay Windows 7
hvfsl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:53 PM   #18
urbanlung
macrumors regular

Don't worry guys

I'm soon going to be launching my in ear water buds. We are still ironing out the Bluetooth straw technology but we are hoping that within the year you'll be able to drink a full 1.2cc of warm water wirelessly whilst cycling.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Ditto Dat!!

Quote:
Yeah! Whay HE said!!

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:53 PM   #20
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

So who will be the first to dehydrate and sue the company?

Last thing I want is some gangsta wannabee riding around blasting "this is why I'm hot" while I'm focused on climbing steep hills on my mountain bike
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

I used to listen to music on my iPhone's loudspeaker until I realized how much I hated it. You don't need music to connect with nature (it's rule #62 in The Rules, so it must be true)
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #22
dona83
macrumors regular

Would've been nice on my 30km each way commute.
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:10 PM   #23
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Great...now the bike paths will be filled with music.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I agree this is a great idea. Not everyone cycles for exploring / enjoying nature. If you cycle as your main means of transport or as a way of working out, I'm sure you'll appreciate being able to have your tunes with you.

As others have said, you can't hold enough water in the standard racks anyways, so you aught to find another way of taking water with you. I have a (manly) basket attached to the handlebars for water, maps, food, etc.
But everyone else will have to hear your music too.

Today's version of the boom box
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion