Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
After some hours of Google-ing and trying out four different applications, I am still not able to copy some of my music to my wife's iPhone. I'm quite tired of this at the moment, but I thought I asked the fine people here.

- I have a Mac.
- My wife has an iPhone.
- I have some music in my iTunes library that she wants - CD's that wasn't bought in iTunes store.
- We are based in Sweden, so we don't have "music match" (if that could've helped, I'm not sure).

How do I do to transfer some of my music to my wife's iPhone!?!?? :confused:

Possible solutions:
- The somewhere mentioned trick to "Autofill" a music list doesn't work. That button doesn't exist.
- Sync her iPhone with my Library leaves me with a lot of syncing/erasing/tiresome bs stuff, and is not a good solution.
- All applications I have tried (iExplorer, DiskAid, PhoneView, Senuti) are able to copy music *from* the iPhone, but not *to* it.

Any ideas, please?
Aaaaaargh.... :(

mls15000

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Create a playlist in your itunes of only the music your wife wants. Then when you setup her iphone to sync with your itunes, choose the option to only sync selected playlists.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Create a playlist in your itunes of only the music your wife wants. Then when you setup her iphone to sync with your itunes, choose the option to only sync selected playlists.

Good thinking, but that's not possible.

As soon as you select "Sync" iTunes tells you that this iPhone have been synced with another library before, and have to delete everything before syncing. I want to keep what's on her phone and just add some more songs...

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Don't Macs support multiple accounts? On my PC, we have multiple iPhones with different stuff on them, even though we all share one iTunes account. Everybody keeps their iTunes in their own account on the PC, and if we want to share a song from one account to another, it's easy to copy them over. But it's also easy to have completely separate music collections.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Don't Macs support multiple accounts? [snip]

Of course they do. However, my wife had a Mac earlier that she synced too. Now this is replaced by an iPad. Hence, she doesn't sync to anything at the moment (the backup goes to iCloud).
Maybe it should be better to create an account on my Mac and reinstalling all her stuff, but I was hoping that I did'nt have to...

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Have you tried TransPod? Don't know how limited the trial version is, but it may be worth a try.

This also looks like it will do what you're asking for.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I want to keep what's on her phone and just add some more songs...

If this was possible the iPhone would quickly become the single best tool for pirating content. (Just grab all your friend's songs, wherever you go!)

This would seriously jeopardize Apple's relationships with the music labels that they depend on for the iTunes Music Store.

So...don't count on it happening anytime soon.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
If this was possible the iPhone would quickly become the single best tool for pirating content. (Just grab all your friend's songs, wherever you go!)

This would seriously jeopardize Apple's relationships with the music labels that they depend on for the iTunes Music Store.

I know, I know... But it's still frustrating.

That also means that if you have a large CD collection and an iThing, you are not able to transfer your songs to that unit. Probably not a big deal, but anyway...

Stooby, I'll take a look at those apps!

Thanks.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Anyone know if theres anything like the ipod plugin for Fubar2000, for the os x?

Thats basically what you need. I'd look into some sort of 3rd party transfer tool.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

We're a bit past worrying about that. And lets not forget that Google have managed to sign up all the labels for Google Music in the last 24 months, while Android allows this (and has always allowed this).

Apple's failure to sort this is because they want to sell Match instead, and is a very poor show on the part of Eddie Cue.

EDIT: The same issue also applies to Podcasts, which is BEYOND rediculous. And no, using Apple's awful Podcast app is not a solution.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I think your basic problem is that she is not syncing her phone to anything. Until you fix that, you are in for a LOT of headaches. There is probably a non-standard solution out there that will work if you try hard enough, but in the end, I think you are better off doing it the way Apple intended.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I think your basic problem is that she is not syncing her phone to anything. Until you fix that, you are in for a LOT of headaches. There is probably a non-standard solution out there that will work if you try hard enough, but in the end, I think you are better off doing it the way Apple intended.

And Apples way is that if you lose your original source files (computer/disc crashing etc) that you are syncing with, you just have to deal with it and consider that data lost if you don't have any backups of it?

I can't understand why you can't have an option to keep the files on the phone if you start over, syncing your phone to a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.