Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmatthew3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I'm a hobbyist/part time iOS app developer, and I currently use a first generation Macbook Air (80GB 4200RPM, 2GB ram, core 2 duo 1.6) for Xcode development. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the OS to the newest version of OSX. Also, unfortunately, the hard drive is failing.

Although I suppose I could replace the hard drive and keep using the old air, I can't upgrade the OS. And, my guess is that the next version of Xcode will require Mountain Lion. So, I'm in the market for a new computer to do Xcode work.

My experience with my current air (which was handed down to me) is that it's very slow at running Xcode.

I'm looking at a 13" MBA with a 128 GB SSD, as that seems cheapest option aside from a mini. However, I'm concerned that the machine isn't powerful enough to really run Xcode well.

So, how much of a performance improvement should I see in Xcode? I'm not really concerned with compile-time improvements. I generally just want a snappy and responsive Xcode. Would I see much of an improvement from an air going to something with a dual core i7? quad core i7 - or is a new MBA with an i5 "good enough"??

I'm okay on the screen real-estate. 1440x900 is enough (though I certainly would appreciate more) - and I can always add an external monitor.

Thank you!

Last edited:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
I'm using the previous generation 13 inch (2011) works fine for hobbyist use. I'd say if you are handling large files and projects go Pro, but it certainly handles my apps no problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.