Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
jpa66
macrumors newbie

iMac G5 bad capacitors or bad power supply the problem?

Hey all. I posted this in the iMac forum, but it was suggested that I post it here, instead. So, here is my query:

I have a G5 iMac (I know, it's really old ) that I need to transfer files from to my new Mac Mini. The problem is that it won't start up. It's had this problem in the past, and all I had to do was open the back up and restart it as per Apple's G5 instructions.

The first LED light stays on, but the second one flickers then shuts off. Lights 3 and 4 do not come on. This has led me to believe that it's a problem with the power supply. However, I noticed that at least two capacitors are definitely bad, and I was wondering if replacing those ( and maybe replacing any more after a thorough check ) would solve my problem.

Or is the power supply the likely culprit?

Thanks,
JP
jpa66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

The fact that two are bad is certainly the cause of the issue. You can also open up the power supply and check for bad caps there.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

The imac g5 is one of the worst macs ever created, and any people who still are using these god awful pieces of crap I salute you.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4
jpa66
macrumors newbie

Yes, it's lasted me over 8 years, and I've only had trouble with it over the last 1-2 years ( and it wasn't much trouble ). The fact that it's crapped out now is simply Murphy's Law kicking in.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Can't you take the hard drive out, throw it in an external case or dock and move your files off of it? I believe those were all SATA drives if I recall correctly.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
jpa66
macrumors newbie

That may be a possibility, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to that, so I'm going to have to take it to someone who is experienced in that sort of thing. If you or someone could point me to a tutorial that explains how to do it, then I could decide if it's within my capabilities. I hate to muck around with it, since I have important work files on it which I can't afford to lose.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa66 View Post
That may be a possibility, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to that, so I'm going to have to take it to someone who is experienced in that sort of thing. If you or someone could point me to a tutorial that explains how to do it, then I could decide if it's within my capabilities. I hate to muck around with it, since I have important work files on it which I can't afford to lose.
If you pay them apple will still repair it
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:09 PM   #8
jpa66
macrumors newbie

Eh, as much as I'd like to have it repaired, I really don't think that it's worth what it will cost. I just need some important files that I have on it (well, maybe about half of the data on the hard drive), so it's probably most cost-effective to simply take the harddrive out.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Eh, as much as I'd like to have it repaired, I really don't think that it's worth what it will cost. I just need some important files that I have on it (well, maybe about half of the data on the hard drive), so it's probably most cost-effective to simply take the harddrive out.
then I would just take out the hdd mount it in a case and get the data out

simple
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:22 PM   #10
jpa66
macrumors newbie

How simple?

I can swap out the memory, add anything that just plugs in, but am a bit wary of anything else unless it's truly east to do (i.e. screw-up factor is very low).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:29 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How simple?

I can swap out the memory, add anything that just plugs in, but am a bit wary of anything else unless it's truly east to do (i.e. screw-up factor is very low).
It's pretty easy. Open up case, remove hard drive, throw it (okay, place it) in an enclosure.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #12
jpa66
macrumors newbie

I assume that I can get the enclosure at any computer store ( i.e. Microcenter, BestBuy, Staples, etc. )? Any recommendations, or is one as good as the other?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I assume that I can get the enclosure at any computer store ( i.e. Microcenter, BestBuy, Staples, etc. )? Any recommendations, or is one as good as the other?
well it must be a sata enclosure to usb or firewire
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:01 PM   #14
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
The imac g5 is one of the worst macs ever created, and any people who still are using these god awful pieces of crap I salute you.
Thanks its appreciated
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:04 PM   #15
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Which exact G5 iMac is it? What speed CPU and what size screen? ifixit has tutorials on every one. I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8Ghz (without camera) and opened it up before and it's simple to do, pop some screws off and take the back off. But the later G5's have to go in through the front and it's more work.

Once you or someone else takes the hard drive out, you just put it in either a 3.5" SATA enclosure like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817388035 Which would allow you to use that hard drive with your newer Mac also...

or put it in a dock, which I find great for quick tasks and doesn't require an external case or any screws...

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MS-US007U3

The docks can be used with 2.5" laptop size hard drives as well as 3.5" desktop hard drives.

And if you do buy either a dock or external case, you might as well make sure it is a newer USB 3.0 version so you get the best speeds with your new Mac mini (assuming it's a 2012 with USB 3.0).

Last edited by cocacolakid; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:13 PM   #16
jpa66
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
Which exact G5 iMac is it? What speed CPU and what size screen? ifixit has tutorials on every one. I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8Ghz (without camera) and opened it up before and it's simple to do, pop some screws off and take the back off. But the later G5's have to go in through the front and it's more work.
I'm almost positive that mine is the same one that you have - I'll have to double-check, though. I'll check out ifixit.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:28 PM   #17
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Microcenter is your best bet for selection and price if you have one nearby. They even price match online prices. You just need a 3.5" external case for SATA hard drives and USB 3.0 out (preferably, instead of just USB 2.0, which is slower and not much cheaper), or a SATA hard drive dock (with USB 3.0 preferably). I linked to an example of each. They will normally be more expensive in a store, so if you could print out the page with the items on it and show it to them at Microcenter they will match the price if it's the same make and model.

----------

Quote:
I'm almost positive that mine is the same one that you have - I'll have to double-check, though. I'll check out ifixit.

Thanks!
Here is the ifixit how to on hard drives in the earlier G5 iMacs:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+...lacement/873/1

And here is the same procedure on the later models with the iSight camera, not so fun...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+...acement/1147/1

The other thing is, if you are going to do it, you'll need some tools. A Torx 10 screwdriver (and a Torx 6 and Torx 8 if it's the later model iMac), and a spudger is preferable. But you can use a butter knife if need be instead of a spudger. This is one of the times a butter knife wouldn't be so bad for this particular job and since it's a dead Mac with virtually no resale value, you wouldn't be worried about scratches, etc.

You can buy Torx screwdrivers right on ifixit, or from Other World Computing, or on Amazon, or at Microcenter.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:20 AM   #18
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

If there are blown caps, then the logic board has definitely failed. Ifixit's guides are usually quite stellar, detailed, and easy to follow. If you don't need the computer anymore, you could consider parting it out or selling it as is. You might be able to squeeze some more value out of it yet.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
jpa66
macrumors newbie

CCkid - thanks for all the information. It appears that doing this is within my capabilities. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #20
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
CCkid - thanks for all the information. It appears that doing this is within my capabilities. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. Keep us updated and if you run into any problems just post them here, someone will be happy to help.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:59 PM   #21
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
Thanks its appreciated
He meant in terms of reliability. If it still works, it is a fine machine.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:51 PM   #22
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
He meant in terms of reliability. If it still works, it is a fine machine.
I am not sure what you are saying
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I am not sure what you are saying
really guys?

I think I said it best last summer "Owning an imac G5 is like owning a 84' Jaguar, Its fast and will impress your friends, but it will spend 90% of the time in the shop costing you money."
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:10 PM   #24
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
really guys?

I think I said it best last summer "Owning an imac G5 is like owning a 84' Jaguar, Its fast and will impress your friends, but it will spend 90% of the time in the shop costing you money."
an iMac G5 is fast compared to what
Actually I use mine a lot.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
an iMac G5 is fast compared to what
Actually I use mine a lot.
an imac g4 Obviously

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs