Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year

A less expensive iPhone is in the works and could go on sale as soon as this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. Digitimes reported something similar earlier today.

The translucent iPhone case for the iPhone 5, from iPhone5mod
Quote:
While Apple has explored such a device for years, the plan has been progressing and a less expensive version of the flagship device could launch as soon as later this year, one of the people said.

The cheaper phone could resemble the standard iPhone, with a different, less-expensive body, one of the people said. One possibility Apple has considered is lowering the cost of the device by using a different shell made of polycarbonate plastic. Many other parts could remain the same or be recycled from older iPhone models.
The WSJ reported that Apple was working on a cheaper, smaller iPhone two years ago, which the paper does note. Of course, Apple already does offer cheaper models than the flagship iPhone -- currently the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

The device could be aimed at emerging markets like India where postpaid plans are scarce, and users typically pay in full for their phones up front.

Update: Bloomberg echoes the WSJ, saying Apple "plans to sell a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone as soon as this year" and the device will be aimed at customers in developing countries. Bloomberg says that the device could sell for $99 or $149.

Article Link: WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Hmmm... it's moved beyond Digitimes "reporting." Maybe there's something to the rumor?
GeekLawyer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
abhishake
macrumors regular

I think it'd be cool to satisfy those customers with bigger hands and larger tastes.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
SoApple
macrumors member

The WSJ is usully very reliable from what I can recall. Maybe there is something to this rumor after all.

What i really want is an ipad mini with retina display!
SoApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
iGrip is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Isn't this the kind of stuff that Apple 'fans' hate?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #7
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
Sigh.
TC03 is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

If this is true, wonder if it'll appear in the States? Or Europe? If it is a move for a less expensive iPhone, what are the chances of Apple selling it only in markets needing cheaper iPhones?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:21 PM   #9
RemE
macrumors member

I'd choose a black polycarbonate iphone 5 any day over the current aluminum version, it just makes more sense. The stainless steel 4's were so much more scuff resistant than the current soft aluminum so just give me light weight quality plastic. It wouldn't chafe in the case any worse than what I have now. If it's cheaper, that's a plus as well.
RemE is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #10
ahmet
macrumors member

Quote:
so you were thinking that you were elite, and insult other people with prejudgement and state them as "unwashed' by just using a device, previously. so sad to see what happened to humanity.
ahmet is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

They already have the discounted iPhone 4 and 4S. If they're thinking prepaid markets I find that extremely unlikely.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #12
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

A less expensive iPhone is in the works and could go on sale as soon as this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. Digitimes reported something similar earlier today.

ImageThe translucent iPhone case for the iPhone 5, from iPhone5mod
The WSJ reported that Apple was working on a cheaper, smaller iPhone two years ago, which the paper does note. Of course, Apple already does offer cheaper models than the flagship iPhone -- currently the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

The device could be aimed at emerging markets like India where postpaid plans are scarce, and users typically pay in full for their phones up front.

Article Link: WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year

Wow. And I was totally calling BS on this in the previous post only an hour ago. Sorry guys.
MrDc2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:24 PM   #13
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

I really doubt it. Apple doesn't do stuff like this that cheapens their brands. If you want a cheaper iPhone, get the older 4S.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
This is why there is a stigma towards those who own Apple products.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:26 PM   #15
needfx
macrumors 68030

smoke & mirrors, smoke & mirrors
needfx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #16
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You should change your handle.
sinsin07 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
nfl46
macrumors 601

Well, thats pretty much confirms the rumor...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Hey! Hey! Over here! What is a CES!?! Look heeeeeeere!
Patriot24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #19
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Don't see how the replacing aluminum case with a plastic one will make it cheaper. The most expensive part I believe is still the flash memory. Wasn't Apple tinkering around with stream only iPhones with enough memory for Apps/iOS to keep costs down? Even with the 3G>4 redesign, the price still stayed the same. Guess people just want a 3G style flimsy plastic iPhone back.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #20
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
What's next? Poor people owning BMWs, Mercedes and Audis!? I wholly agree! If it makes us feel any less "elite" we should deny them access to it for our own selfish purposes. I know my self esteem is improved whenever I see someone begging for loose change or struggling to feed their family. Poor people, where do they get the nerve to keep on living? It's such an inconvenience to have poorer people owning cool things. Stupid people that can't afford as much as I can... damn you!
MrDc2 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
This post expresses a truly pathetic need for some spurious feelings of superiority, supplied by owning an electronic device.

So many sad and needy people in the world...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:34 PM   #22
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

It's pretty hard to be less expensive than a $0 iPhone 4 (in the US, anyway).
myrtlebee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:34 PM   #23
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
you should change your handle.
lol!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:35 PM   #24
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmet View Post
so you were thinking that you were elite, and insult other people with prejudgement and state them as "unwashed' by just using a device, previously. so sad to see what happened to humanity.
Any brand can be a status symbol.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:35 PM   #25
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmet View Post
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.
iGrip is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion