Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeds Build 12D50 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers

Apple today seeded build 12D50 of OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion to developers, the fifth beta release reports 9to5Mac. The first 10.8.3 beta was seeded back in November, and the third and fourth releases were released in December.

Though the update comes with no known issues or new features, as before Apple has asked developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari in their testing. Registered developers can download it via the Apple Developer Page.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Build 12D50 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

Though the update comes with no known issues or new features, as before Apple has asked developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari in their testing. Registered developers can download it via the Apple Developer Page.

GRAPHICS DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!
DJJAZZYJET is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJAZZYJET View Post

GRAPHICS DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!
I don't get why you re wrote this cause its already there in the article above
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Here's what needs to be fixed:
Issues related with Graphic drivers: Choppy Animations, Memory Leaks when apps use GPU/hardware acceleration, Kernal Panics.

Other problems: CRAZY Shutdown times, poor battery life.

Here's what should be added: GPU accelerated scrolling in Mail, Preview (similar to Safari), option to do a three dinger swipe in all apps when it's enabled in Trackpad settings.

Edit: I have a MBP 13" mid 2010. But I've also seen most of these problems on RetinaMBPs

Last edited by sshhoott; Jan 8, 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added MBP model
sshhoott is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
rudychidiac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattDaDon View Post
I don't get why you re wrote this cause its already there in the article above
They wrote "GRAPHIC DRIVEEEEERRRRRS" as well...
rudychidiac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
Issues related with Graphic drivers: Choppy Animations, Memory Leaks when apps use GPU/hardware acceleration, Kernal Panics.

Here's what should be added: GPU accelerated scrolling in Mail, Preview (similar to Safari), option to do a three dinger swipe in all apps when it's enabled in Trackpad settings.
Do you have a retina MBP by any chance ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudychidiac View Post
They wrote "GRAPHIC DRIVEEEEERRRRRS" as well...
Oh didn't see that. My bad
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
jakesteramma
macrumors member

I agree with the slow shutdown times. I had a 2007 iMac with Mountain Lion. I put Snow Leopard back on it to sell it.

Mountain Lion: 30-35 seconds to shutdown
Snow Leopard: 5 seconds to shutdown

Even with my newer 2011 iMac, shutdown times are around 30 seconds. It doesn't bother me. I just find it strange.
jakesteramma is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
jackhdev
macrumors 6502

Fix the weird rendering issues in Safari 6 and fix the keychain issues with Messages (still unable to use the app).
jackhdev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteramma View Post
I agree with the slow shutdown times. I had a 2007 iMac with Mountain Lion. I put Snow Leopard back on it to sell it.

Even with my newer 2011 iMac, shutdown times are around 30 seconds. It doesn't bother me. I just find it strange.
Well see now. Macs aren't used to being shut down or rebooted. That's a Windows thing.

Peace is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:33 PM   #11
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I would bother me....that is too slow.
KdParker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:37 PM   #12
jakesteramma
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
I would bother me....that is too slow.
I guess it doesn't bother me too much for two reasons.

1. I've resorted to barely ever shutting it down and just sleeping it.
2. The crap-tastic PC's I work with every day at my job take 2-3 minutes to shut down and 5-10 minutes to start up. I guess it's pretty awesome by comparison! LOL!
jakesteramma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:37 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:

Edit: I have a MBP 13" mid 2010. But I've also seen most of these problems on RetinaMBPs
Quote:

same ... at first i thought its the custom ssd in my old mbp on ML but now i got my brandnew rmbp and the same thing is happening
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:39 PM   #14
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:

apple.com/feedback
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:43 PM   #15
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza

1. Apple's laziness to launch an OS with so many glitches in their OWN unique hardware.

2. Stop adding BS social features and focus on quality.

3. If Apple wants to add new features, then start copying Windows 8 GREAT file copying and management. That is what desktop OSes do, anyway. This is not an iPad.
lcmazza is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmazza View Post

1. Apple's laziness to launch an OS with so many glitches in their OWN unique hardware.

3. If Apple wants to add new features, then start copying Windows 8 GREAT file copying and management. That is what desktop OSes do, anyway. This is not an iPad.
You can thank Craig Federighi for this as he took over as Senior Vice President of Software Engineering after Bertrand Serlet left in 2011. Serlet moved to Apple with Jobs from NeXT and was Senior VP in S.E., and was mainly responsible for Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Criag Federighi is a hack, responsible for allowing Forstall to incorporate iOS **** into OS X while dropping the ball on improved graphics drivers and OpenGL Core support, a revised HFS+ Finder system, lack of full multiple display support, "Mission Control", horrible memory management, and pushing for an annual release cycle. The odds are, it won't change.

EDIT Read post #85, as some have called my information into question I have added links and facts to support that Craig Federighi was head of OS X development two years prior to Serlet's March 2011 announcement for departure. Craig Federighi has been head of OS X development since his return to Apple in 2009.

Quote:
Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:35 am
Serlet joined Apple in 1997 and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X. Before his time at Apple, Serlet spent four years at Xerox PARC, then joined NeXT with Jobs in 1989. He holds a doctorate in Computer Science from the University of Orsay, France.

"I've worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science," Serlet said.

He will be replaced by Craig Federighi, Apple's vice president of Mac Software Engineering. In his new role, Federighi will assume Serlet's responsibilities and will report directly to Jobs.

Federighi is responsible for the development of Mac OS X, and has been managing the Mac OS software engineering group for the past two years. It was Federighi who gave a live demonstration of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion at a media event last October.

"Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years," Serlet said. "Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless."

Federighi worked at NeXT, followed by Apple, and spent a decade at Ariba where he held several roles including vice president of Internet Services and chief technology officer. He returned to Apple in 2009 to lead Mac OS X engineering. Federighi holds a Master of Science degree in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.

Last edited by bedifferent; Jan 9, 2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Howard Ellacott was sweet enough to point out my typo of "Craig"
bedifferent is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Risco
macrumors 65816

Is shutdown speed fixed, or still buggered?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Is shutdown speed fixed, or still buggered?
I decided to test this on a 2012 cMBP. SSD

After closing all apps I shut it down. The timer started when I clicked on the pop up menu to shut down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	388871  
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:20 PM   #19
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

After closing all apps I shut it down. The timer started when I clicked on the pop up menu to shut down.
That seems to be pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmazza View Post

I don't want to see Apple copy anything from Windows 8. And I like some of the social features as well.
cmChimera is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

That sounds good, this is with the 12D50 build? If so has it improved for you on previous builds as I don't have an SSD.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:33 PM   #21
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
That sounds good, this is with the 12D50 build? If so has it improved for you on previous builds as I don't have an SSD.
Honestly I couldn't say with all certainty that it's faster since I rarely shut down my Mac. But it did seem to be a bit faster.

I normally don't pay attention to that type of thing.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:13 PM   #22
tooshaggy
macrumors regular

Wow!!!! Safari is ......... safari! You thought I was going to say it's faster, didn't you!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:23 PM   #23
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Apple's OSX team really needs to focus on refining the OS instead of releasing new features every year.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:32 PM   #24
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
Apple's OSX team really needs to focus on refining the OS instead of releasing new features every year.
That's what snow leopard was for. Even still lion and mountain lion didn't really get any compelling features. Just social crap and dumbing down of a lot of stuff to make it more like ios (Quicktime being a prime example - they remove most of its preferences for no reason at all)
rmwebs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:49 PM   #25
Dave-Z
macrumors member

How about fixing that AESendMessage() bug...
Dave-Z is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion