Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:10 PM   #26
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
By europe I mean the UK you have Irish,Welsh,English scottish etc.But I dont believe to my knowledge theres more then 1 accent for each place i.e.:Ireland,England etc
You really have to be joking. Nobody can be this ignorant.
tomjleeds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #27
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by confucious View Post
You are kidding, aren't you? You can tell which village someone in the west country comes from because their accents are different.

Glaswegian sounds nothing like the Edinburgh accent, or indeed, like anything else and Geordie is as similar to spouse as it to Chinese. There are as many different accents in England as there are regions, if not more. Same goes for the other countries that make up the UK.

sarcasm doesnt translate well over text
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:44 AM   #28
Hawtin
macrumors member

America **** yeah!!! *rolls eyes*

Ah divint kna wot theez flippin yanks arr on aboot leek, ahv niver hord nowt but the queens English sperk in tha toon leek.
Hawtin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:58 AM   #29
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
By europe I mean the UK you have Irish,Welsh,English scottish etc.But I dont believe to my knowledge theres more then 1 accent for each place i.e.:Ireland,England etc
OMG!! Ignorant much ?

Ireland has a different accent in almost every County, and they are all audibly different.

The

Kerry,
Dublin,
Cork,
Limerick,
Cavan,
Galway,
Monaghan,
Meath,

accents to name just a few are all very different indeed, and there is at least another half dozen more including the state broadcaster RTE who has its own spin on an accent for its news reporters.

And even then - each county has variations.

A Kerry accent has discernible differences between West Kerry, South Kerry, North Kerry, and main two towns Tralee & Killarney. So thats 5 possibly more discernible accents just in one county with a populace of 100,000 people.

Then there is the Gaelic accents for Irish speaking folk too, and there are big differences in accent based on different Gaeilge speaking regions.

To sum up in a populace of 4 million (and excluding Northern Ireland) there is probably easily between 30-50 accents.

As for the UK just going off the top of my head...

South Yorkshire
Doncaster (noticeably different to Sheffield also in South Yorkshire)
Midlands (Birmingham)
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham & Newcastle
Somerset
Norfolk
Devon
Cornish
London North, South, East & West alongside Cockney
Public educated accent
Sussex
Essex
Leicester
Leeds / Bradford
North Yorkshire (Harrogate etc)
Hull / Humberside

And so many more with variations in those counties based on towns and cities too.

Accents are not like Lord of the Rings where there is 1 accent to rule them all....

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Jan 9, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 AM   #30
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
In europe they mostly have the same accent whereas in 'Merica we have New Yorker,southern accents
At least you didn't go as far as to say that in Europe they mostly speak European.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:55 PM   #31
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
At least you didn't go as far as to say that in Europe they mostly speak European.
they don't????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
OMG!! Ignorant much ?

Ireland has a different accent in almost every County, and they are all audibly different.

The

Kerry,
Dublin,
Cork,
Limerick,
Cavan,
Galway,
Monaghan,
Meath,

accents to name just a few are all very different indeed, and there is at least another half dozen more including the state broadcaster RTE who has its own spin on an accent for its news reporters.

And even then - each county has variations.

A Kerry accent has discernible differences between West Kerry, South Kerry, North Kerry, and main two towns Tralee & Killarney. So thats 5 possibly more discernible accents just in one county with a populace of 100,000 people.

Then there is the Gaelic accents for Irish speaking folk too, and there are big differences in accent based on different Gaeilge speaking regions.

To sum up in a populace of 4 million (and excluding Northern Ireland) there is probably easily between 30-50 accents.

As for the UK just going off the top of my head...

South Yorkshire
Doncaster (noticeably different to Sheffield also in South Yorkshire)
Midlands (Birmingham)
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham & Newcastle
Somerset
Norfolk
Devon
Cornish
London North, South, East & West alongside Cockney
Public educated accent
Sussex
Essex
Leicester
Leeds / Bradford
North Yorkshire (Harrogate etc)
Hull / Humberside

And so many more with variations in those counties based on towns and cities too.

Accents are not like Lord of the Rings where there is 1 accent to rule them all....
You dont say.My family is originally from London,Croydon to be exact im well aware.I guess I really am not as funny as I thought
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #32
Damolee
macrumors 6502

Well I thought it was funny.

I also know there are only seven accents in America.

Ebonics, Spanish, Yankee, South, New Jersey, New York, Boston.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6