Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
You are kidding, aren't you? You can tell which village someone in the west country comes from because their accents are different.

Glaswegian sounds nothing like the Edinburgh accent, or indeed, like anything else and Geordie is as similar to spouse as it to Chinese. There are as many different accents in England as there are regions, if not more. Same goes for the other countries that make up the UK.

sarcasm doesnt translate well over text :rolleyes:

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
America **** yeah!!! *rolls eyes*

Ah divint kna wot theez flippin yanks arr on aboot leek, ahv niver hord nowt but the queens English sperk in tha toon leek.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
By europe I mean the UK you have Irish,Welsh,English scottish etc.But I dont believe to my knowledge theres more then 1 accent for each place i.e.:Ireland,England etc

OMG!! Ignorant much ?

Ireland has a different accent in almost every County, and they are all audibly different.

The

Kerry,
Dublin,
Cork,
Limerick,
Cavan,
Galway,
Monaghan,
Meath,

accents to name just a few are all very different indeed, and there is at least another half dozen more including the state broadcaster RTE who has its own spin on an accent for its news reporters.

And even then - each county has variations.

A Kerry accent has discernible differences between West Kerry, South Kerry, North Kerry, and main two towns Tralee & Killarney. So thats 5 possibly more discernible accents just in one county with a populace of 100,000 people.

Then there is the Gaelic accents for Irish speaking folk too, and there are big differences in accent based on different Gaeilge speaking regions.

To sum up in a populace of 4 million (and excluding Northern Ireland) there is probably easily between 30-50 accents.

As for the UK just going off the top of my head...

South Yorkshire
Doncaster (noticeably different to Sheffield also in South Yorkshire)
Midlands (Birmingham)
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham & Newcastle
Somerset
Norfolk
Devon
Cornish
London North, South, East & West alongside Cockney
Public educated accent
Sussex
Essex
Leicester
Leeds / Bradford
North Yorkshire (Harrogate etc)
Hull / Humberside

And so many more with variations in those counties based on towns and cities too.

Accents are not like Lord of the Rings where there is 1 accent to rule them all....

Last edited:

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
At least you didn't go as far as to say that in Europe they mostly speak European.

they don't????????

OMG!! Ignorant much ?

Ireland has a different accent in almost every County, and they are all audibly different.

The

Kerry,
Dublin,
Cork,
Limerick,
Cavan,
Galway,
Monaghan,
Meath,

accents to name just a few are all very different indeed, and there is at least another half dozen more including the state broadcaster RTE who has its own spin on an accent for its news reporters.

And even then - each county has variations.

A Kerry accent has discernible differences between West Kerry, South Kerry, North Kerry, and main two towns Tralee & Killarney. So thats 5 possibly more discernible accents just in one county with a populace of 100,000 people.

Then there is the Gaelic accents for Irish speaking folk too, and there are big differences in accent based on different Gaeilge speaking regions.

To sum up in a populace of 4 million (and excluding Northern Ireland) there is probably easily between 30-50 accents.

As for the UK just going off the top of my head...

South Yorkshire
Doncaster (noticeably different to Sheffield also in South Yorkshire)
Midlands (Birmingham)
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham & Newcastle
Somerset
Norfolk
Devon
Cornish
London North, South, East & West alongside Cockney
Public educated accent
Sussex
Essex
Leicester
Leeds / Bradford
North Yorkshire (Harrogate etc)
Hull / Humberside

And so many more with variations in those counties based on towns and cities too.

Accents are not like Lord of the Rings where there is 1 accent to rule them all....

You dont say.My family is originally from London,Croydon to be exact im well aware.I guess I really am not as funny as I thought

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Well I thought it was funny.

I also know there are only seven accents in America.

Ebonics, Spanish, Yankee, South, New Jersey, New York, Boston.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.