Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1201
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako76 View Post
Many many thanks for your explaination.
I will order this part and inform you.
Best Regards.
Don't you just love Cmrdata knowledge on these components and how they work, anyway Yako if you still get stuck I can desolder the part and send you it. or if its another part you need let me
Send me the picture and I will remove it. Better to make someone else's board work if not your own.
Musicsoul78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:22 AM   #1202
dmit2k
macrumors newbie

To whom it may concern (repaired water damaged MB Late 2008)

I have had a water damaged Late 2008 unibody MacBook with the following symptoms:

When you turn on the MacBook the magsafe lights go orange, the system shows "0% Charging" but battery information is not being read. After some minutes it timeouts, magsafe lights go green and black X shows up.

At the same time led battery indicators do not work neither way.

After replacing the mainboard and battery for the new ones the problem still persists.

Accidentally I discovered that the problem was with the water damaged led indicator module - it prevented the SMC to communicate with the battery. Once I disconnect it from the main board, the system detects and reads battery OK and starts to charge it.

Problem solved.
dmit2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1203
Yako76
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicsoul78 View Post
Don't you just love Cmrdata knowledge on these components and how they work, anyway Yako if you still get stuck I can desolder the part and send you it. or if its another part you need let me
Send me the picture and I will remove it. Better to make someone else's board work if not your own.
Thanks a lot my friend.
I wrote to Chinese company who has this part, and I order so of that.
If I need moor Parts I will back to you!

Best Regards!
Yako76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1204
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmit2k View Post
I have had a water damaged Late 2008 unibody MacBook with the following symptoms:

When you turn on the MacBook the magsafe lights go orange, the system shows "0% Charging" but battery information is not being read. After some minutes it timeouts, magsafe lights go green and black X shows up.

At the same time led battery indicators do not work neither way.

After replacing the mainboard and battery for the new ones the problem still persists.

Accidentally I discovered that the problem was with the water damaged led indicator module - it prevented the SMC to communicate with the battery. Once I disconnect it from the main board, the system detects and reads battery OK and starts to charge it.

Problem solved.
good work

i would of tested out of chassis to of come to the same
resolve.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1205
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee303 View Post
I'll get this information for you tomorrow I got the component off of an doner board. I can get hold of the component for you if you like.

Lee
if there is any chance you can get hold of this componant this would be a life save as no one has seen it before or knows of it?????
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1206
G35C
macrumors member

Working on 13" MBP Mid 2010

Will not power on. Have 12V at fuse by battery. 3.39V at lower G3hot pad. 10.63 on 7149 chip pic attached (sorry its from my phone). The Magsafe indicator has normal behavior green-orange and charges battery. If I jump the G3hot pads nothing happens. Any suggestions for further diagnosis?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0820.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	388519  
G35C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1207
cmdrdata
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35C View Post
Will not power on. Have 12V at fuse by battery. 3.39V at lower G3hot pad. 10.63 on 7149 chip pic attached (sorry its from my phone). The Magsafe indicator has normal behavior green-orange and charges battery. If I jump the G3hot pads nothing happens. Any suggestions for further diagnosis?
Attached is a page for MBP13U/2010 showing FETs 7149. If you get 12v at the fuse by the battery, then I don't understand what this 10.63v you are reading. Could it be that the 12v you saw by the fuse is the battery voltage?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 5.55.51 PM.png
Views:	144
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	388629  
cmdrdata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1208
G35C
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdata View Post
Attached is a page for MBP13U/2010 showing FETs 7149. If you get 12v at the fuse by the battery, then I don't understand what this 10.63v you are reading. Could it be that the 12v you saw by the fuse is the battery voltage?
Ok just plugged it in. I'm reading 12.33 Volts at the fuse by the battery, 16.42 Volts at FETs 7149, 3.42 at G3Hot pad. I suspect my FET 7149 might be bad due to majority of corrosion at this FET. Cleaned up well but the solder connections look weak.

Hey i'm in San Antonio, Texas. I see your into cars too with the TT Supra. Any mods? I have a turbo G35C.

Last edited by G35C; Jan 7, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1209
mm9
macrumors newbie

Macbook Air 2012 13 inches EFI

Could you please send me the image of Macbook Air 13 inches A1466 EFI

I need to get EFI image. Macbook was water damaged and EFI chip is fried as well as many others. I need an image to program replaced chip.

Could you please upload or send valid EFI image of this Macbook.
mm9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:52 AM   #1210
cmdrdata
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok just plugged it in. I'm reading 12.33 Volts at the fuse by the battery, 16.42 Volts at FETs 7149, 3.42 at G3Hot pad. I suspect my FET 7149 might be bad due to majority of corrosion at this FET. Cleaned up well but the solder connections look weak.

Hey i'm in San Antonio, Texas. I see your into cars too with the TT Supra. Any mods? I have a turbo G35C.
Based on these readings, your main power system is functional (12v at fuse near the battery and battery can be charged, and correct LED status). SO the problem is now more complex because system startup from this point on depends on all other SECONDARY power supplies being OK (see signal called ALL_SYS_PWRGOOD or something like that), sensors returning correct status, etc. If you get past this, then the system will go through POST and then a beep or "bong" before attempting to boot from boot device, i.e., HD.

PS: My TT is totally pristine, no mods and never been raced.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1211
Brabusf4
macrumors newbie

I have a water damaged Late 2011 unibody MacBook Pro 13, with the following symptoms: Working only with battery or charging it with magsafe works 100% but when battery is completly charged with magsafe and light goes green, macbook shutdowns itself.
With complete battery and magsafe connected always shutdowns itself after boot OS X
Brabusf4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1212
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabusf4 View Post
I have a water damaged Late 2011 unibody MacBook Pro 13, with the following symptoms: Working only with battery or charging it with magsafe works 100% but when battery is completly charged with magsafe and light goes green, macbook shutdowns itself.
With complete battery and magsafe connected always shutdowns itself after boot OS X
its looks like it shutting down as soon as the the charging senor returns with signal full, there fore it turns to full mags safe power and shuts down....

q. Does it still power up and stay on with battery removed and just mag safe power..?

if it does not then you need to repair the damage caused by the corrosion on the main power line.

if you get a boardview or schematic we can take a closer look also a pic of motherboard would be nice to see corrosive areas

Last edited by Musicsoul78; Jan 8, 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: if you get a boardview or schematic we can take a closer look also a pic of motherboard would be nice to see corrosive areas
Musicsoul78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1213
Brabusf4
macrumors newbie

Quote:
its looks like it shutting down as soon as the the charging senor returns with signal full, there fore it turns to full mags safe power and shuts down....

q. Does it still power up and stay on with battery removed and just mag safe power..?

if it does not then you need to repair the damage caused by the corrosion on the main power line.

if you get a boardview or schematic we can take a closer look also a pic of motherboard would be nice to see corrosive areas
Hi guys:
Today I cleaned logic board for second time, test it and same issue, when battery is complete and light of magsafe goes green MBP shuts down itself after 3-5min working.
When Mbp is off with full battery and magsafe connected, green led flashing.
Test it without battery, MBP shutdowns after 3-5min, same symthoms thath 100% battery and magsafe connected.
Any ideas?

Regards

Last edited by Brabusf4; Jan 9, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1214
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi guys:
Today I cleaned logic board for second time, test it and same issue, when battery is complete and light of magsafe goes green MBP shuts down itself after 3-5min working.
When Mbp is off with full battery and magsafe connected, green led flashing.
Test it without battery, MBP shutdowns after 3-5min, same symthoms thath 100% battery and magsafe connected.
Any ideas?

Regards

great pics btw

i need you to run ASD 3s144

i think its going to fail on one of the sensors (a nor) maybe?check pic for area

wont know until you run the test.
also will it boot with just the battery and no mag safe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	your image copy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	389330  
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1215
jrzzz
macrumors newbie

WOOOOOOOO
replaced the dc-in board, and the battery is chargin..
I'll wait for about an hour and then do a test run if everything is fine

thank you soooooooo much!

(ordered a dc in board from ebay)
jrzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1216
Brabusf4
macrumors newbie

Quote:
great pics btw

i need you to run ASD 3s144

i think its going to fail on one of the sensors (a nor) maybe?check pic for area

wont know until you run the test.
also will it boot with just the battery and no mag safe?
Hi!
Im now downloading ASD 3s144 for test it.
Mbp boot perfect with just battery and also with battery and magsafe connected if battery is charging (orange magsafe led)

Last edited by Brabusf4; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1217
cmdrdata
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi!
Im now downloading ASD 3s144 for test it.
Mbp boot perfect with just battery and also with battery and magsafe connected if battery is charging (orange magsafe led)
The MBP turned off Q7055 when the battery is fully charged and magsafe is connected. So I suspect that the 12v is not being generated by the magsafe through Q7030/Q7035 pair and thus the system shuts down after the battery is fully charged. Hopefully the ASD will tell you which sensor is not sending the correct signal to stay on.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1218
G35C
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethf View Post
Hello
Great forum
Iam working on a water damaged macbook pro 13 2010 A1278 EMC:2351.
The mac charges the battery and G3hot is good. But it wont start Great if someone could help me out where to look.
?

Thanks
I have this exact same problem. Dadioh or anybody else, what next steps should i take for further diagnosis. I put the board into a good chasis so I know keyboard and everything else works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mac%20scheme%20G3Hot.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	389675   Click image for larger version

Name:	mac2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	389676  
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1219
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have this exact same problem. Dadioh or anybody else, what next steps should i take for further diagnosis. I put the board into a good chasis so I know keyboard and everything else works.
Pin 14 must be at 3V (maybe 3.3V). This is a signal out from the Charger IC telling the SMC that the charger circuit is OK. If it is low then it will not send the middle signal to the magsafe to provide full charge circuit. And the SMC will not allow a system start.

I believe your issue is with the charging circuit. Troubleshooting it is not trivial.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charger AC OK.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	389680  
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1220
G35C
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
Pin 14 must be at 3V (maybe 3.3V). This is a signal out from the Charger IC telling the SMC that the charger circuit is OK. If it is low then it will not send the middle signal to the magsafe to provide full charge circuit. And the SMC will not allow a system start.

I believe your issue is with the charging circuit. Troubleshooting it is not trivial.
I should have mentioned that my magsafe indicator will turn orange and will charge the battery normally.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1221
G35C
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post

My bad, put the wrong image. Here is what i'm looking at
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mac1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	839.3 KB
ID:	389686  
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1222
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I should have mentioned that my magsafe indicator will turn orange and will charge the battery normally.
Hmmm. Then you can not possibly have less than 3V on pin 14. Otherwise the signal to tell the magsafe to provide power and change to orange would not occur. Maybe you are having trouble getting the meter probe onto pin 14?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1223
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My bad, put the wrong image. Here is what i'm looking at
OK that makes more sense.

The voltages look OK. Check the 5V and 3.3V power as well. It is the small device near the wifi connection. I can't remember the exact points to measure but there are test points that can be used so you don't have to probe on the chip itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5V_33V.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	389689  
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1224
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

Sorry I haven't been too visible in the thread lately. Bad flu going through my whole family since Christmas. Will try and catch up a bit later. But there are also a few other very talented people pitching in on the thread and we all truly appreciate that
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1225
Musicsoul78
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzzz View Post
WOOOOOOOO
replaced the dc-in board, and the battery is chargin..
I'll wait for about an hour and then do a test run if everything is fine

thank you soooooooo much!

(ordered a dc in board from ebay)
glad to help buddy...
another one is saved

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro