Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Hi everyone, I have an iPad mini that I bought on launch day and it has been working flawlessly but starting these few days it started acting up weird and kept rebooting on its own with some pink and green lines flashing before killing itself and rebooting and the cycle repeats randomly.

I booked a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow but I'm curious as to the chances of me getting a replacement Mini? Would they be able to fix it? And also would they require me to demonstrate the iPad's failure to function properly? Because sometimes it works just fine, the crashing and restarting is totally random. However I do have these logs under Diagnostics and Usage to prove that the Mini is certainly having problem.

EDIT: Tried restoring and setting as new, also a restore to a previous backup but it's still happening.
EDIT #2: Just tried restoring as new again, and it shows slide to configure with the big word "iPad" on top, then when I tried sliding it rebooted itself again, my main concern is if I cannot demonstrate that it doesn't work even after a fresh restore, will they still replace my iPad?
EDIT #3: Got my replacement! Totally hassle-free. Refurb or brand-new, it works just like a new one and that's what I wanted. Hope there won't be anymore issues with this one :D thanks guys for your feedbacks.

CRMIO.png

z8sJg.png

Also it has been refusing to sync to my MBP.

RuLULl.png

So what do you guys think? Would the Genius give me a replacement or try to fix it? I would much prefer a hassle-free replacement :(

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Your chances should be real good you'll get a replacement. Did you try a hardware reset? ;)

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Your chances should be real good you'll get a replacement. Did you try a hardware reset? ;)

As in holding the sleep and the home button at the same time? Yeah done that countless of times when the iPad just freezes all of a sudden :( really worried that if they "fix" it it will still be problematic and I have to make an extra trip.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As in holding the sleep and the home button at the same time? Yeah done that countless of times when the iPad just freezes all of a sudden :( really worried that if they "fix" it it will still be problematic and I have to make an extra trip.

Yeah but you gotta hold both buttons until the Apple logo reappears. Did you do that?

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I can't speak to Apple's iPad policy, but last year I bought an iMac that worked great for a week, then just randomly turned itself off and wouldn't restart. I bought it to the Genius Bar and it booted right up (just to spite me, I think). They couldn't replicate the problem, and I got nervous. Then, the tech said to me "Is all your information backed up?" I said yes, and he said, "OK, are you OK if I just give you a new one?" I was thrilled.

Best of luck to you, and I hope it works out for you.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Yeah but you gotta hold both buttons until the Apple logo reappears. Did you do that?
Yup done that. Coz it was stuck so long I had to do a hard reset.

I can't speak to Apple's iPad policy, but last year I bought an iMac that worked great for a week, then just randomly turned itself off and wouldn't restart. I bought it to the Genius Bar and it booted right up (just to spite me, I think). They couldn't replicate the problem, and I got nervous. Then, the tech said to me "Is all your information backed up?" I said yes, and he said, "OK, are you OK if I just give you a new one?" I was thrilled.

Best of luck to you, and I hope it works out for you.

Hope that happens to me as well. But I do have the logs to prove that it's experienced kernel panics so I sincerely hope it's a hassle-free replacement.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That's what I am afraid of. More problems. Is there a way to get them to give me a brand new one?

You'll probably get a new one because of the high demands of the mini. Even if you get a refurb, no worries as those get a new battery and outer case and they go thru a rigorous testing process.

My iPad 2 is a refurb and you can't tell it's a refurb. It looks new.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's what I am afraid of. More problems. Is there a way to get them to give me a brand new one?

I've had two iPod touches replaced with refurbs, they are as good as new. And you get the same warranty period as the original you are getting replaced. And as another poster pointed out, you'll get a white box replacement, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if this replacement is new or refurb, when I got my iPod touches replaced, they both came in white boxes. At this point, the white box replacement minis will likely be new units set aside for replacement purposes, but once they start having refurbs for replacement, those also come in white boxes.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
I've had two iPod touches replaced with refurbs, they are as good as new. And you get the same warranty period as the original you are getting replaced. And as another poster pointed out, you'll get a white box replacement, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if this replacement is new or refurb, when I got my iPod touches replaced, they both came in white boxes. At this point, the white box replacement minis will likely be new units set aside for replacement purposes, but once they start having refurbs for replacement, those also come in white boxes.

Alright, so I will just have my fingers crossed that they are giving me a new replacement then. Thanks guys for your inputs! :D

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

I personally think that it's better getting a refurb from Apple vs. getting a new one. Why? Well, because with the refurbs, Apple actually checks them out and makes sure they're working fine, then they replace the battery and outer case and then finally when all or that is done, put it back up for sale/replacement purposes. With a new one, they just build it and it gets flashed with the latest version of iOS and then it's sent away for sale/replacement purposes. They don't thoroughly test new ones like they do with refurbished, thus leaving more room for error. Refurbs all the way for me. :)

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
I personally think that it's better getting a refurb from Apple vs. getting a new one. Why? Well, because with the refurbs, Apple actually checks them out and makes sure they're working fine, then they replace the battery and outer case and then finally when all or that is done, put it back up for sale/replacement purposes. With a new one, they just build it and it gets flashed with the latest version of iOS and then it's sent away for sale/replacement purposes. They don't thoroughly test new ones like they do with refurbished, thus leaving more room for error. Refurbs all the way for me. :)

Wow that's a fresh perspective. I guess I won't complain no matter which one I get today then. Will update when I am back from the Apple Store tonight. ;)

S

syd430

No.

There is no separate "thorough standard" that refurbs get put through, the testing standard is largely the same (a combination of automatic and manual processes).

Not sure why so many people keep spreading this myth.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

syd430

This doesn't sound quite right. Do you have a source for this, or is this just speculation?

It's just speculation, and its wrong.

I've observed no difference in quality between refurbs and new (i.e many refurbs had the same obvious hardware faults out of the box as their new counterparts). And believe me, the sample size is large enough for me to draw a conclusion.

Case in point: my current iphone 5 (refurb) came with a screen that's popped out and clicking in the top right corner, and a very loose home button. of course one iphone is just anecdotal evidence, but again I'm drawing from a large sample here between many iPhone, ipad and macbook refurbs I've gone through over the years. The quality is the same.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This doesn't sound quite right. Do you have a source for this, or is this just speculation?

Directly from their website: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?afid=p219|GOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG

So they do test them for problems. There was further discussion and I don't have the link that they run tests/diagnostics on these units, update the firmware and replace any parts that fail the testing process.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Not sure why people are spreading the myth that refurbs aren't as good as new devices. Do you think Apple, of all companies, would not make sure the device is up to snuff before sending it out? I had a refurb iPhone 4S last year and I can definitely say I had no problems whatsoever. It looks and worked like new.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

Please tell us more. Where did you get extensive knowledge of testing between new and refurb? Or is this pure speculation?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Directly from their website: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?afid=p219|GOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG

So they do test them for problems. There was further discussion and I don't have the link that they run tests/diagnostics on these units, update the firmware and replace any parts that fail the testing process.

That's not what he said. Please go back and reread the post I replied to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.